Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 23rd August onwards 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Storm chances looking a bit abysmal in the next week. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

While the British snoozefest continues, it looks like Spain is the place to be today! Temperatures are higher in southern Britain than much of eastern Spain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

While the British snoozefest continues, it looks like Spain is the place to be today! Temperatures are higher in southern Britain than much of eastern Spain.

Wow, Spain is literally exploding! Huge MCS going on there by the looks of it. Would be incredible to be there now! Also that storm pushing out of Algeria has got to be one of the most sharpest, beefiest looking storms I've ever seen!

Guest William Grimsley

Wow, Spain is literally exploding! Huge MCS going on there by the looks of it. Would be incredible to be there now! Also that storm pushing out of Algeria has got to be one of the most sharpest, beefiest looking storms I've ever seen!

Excuse my French, but that thunderstorm in Algeria and the thunderstorms in Spain are f'ing huge!

Posted

Excuse my French, but that thunderstorm in Algeria and the thunderstorms in Spain are f'ing huge!

You're not wrong. Makes our storms look like a drizzly mess!!

Posted

Here's a picture from a friend of mine currently finishing his year abroad in Denia:

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Remember going to Tenerife when i was about 12. Thunderstorms every night loved it

Hmm, most times I have been to the Canaries, we've had one thunderstorm. In the last 2 years however, we've had none :(

Posted

Here's a picture from a friend of mine currently finishing his year abroad in Denia:

Posted Image

Got these two last week......

Edited by poseidon
  • Like 2

Posted

Just came across this....

Posted Image

Moments after this photograph was taken these two boys were struck by lightning and seriously injured. A nearby hiker was killed. They were posing for the shot on top of Moro Rock in Sequoia National Park in the Sierra of California during the summer of 1975. Photo by Mary McQuilken (sister of the two boys).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Just came across this....

Posted Image

Moments after this photograph was taken these two boys were struck by lightning and seriously injured. A nearby hiker was killed. They were posing for the shot on top of Moro Rock in Sequoia National Park in the Sierra of California during the summer of 1975. Photo by Mary McQuilken (sister of the two boys).

A full quote here...

''This is an image no one would be happy to replicate. Two seconds after Mary McQuilken snapped this shot of her brothers posing on top of Moro Rock in Sequoia National Park, California a powerful lightning bolt struck them. A hiker just outside the frame was killed and Sean (on the left) eventually also died from complications associated with his injuries. Michael McQuilken (on the right) survived. The family was hiking in the Sierra Nevada during August 1975 when the incident occurred. Photo by Mary McQuilken''.

Found on this site which is a very interesting read..  http://imgur.com/a/1SXNI

This is a sad story really, your hair standing on end like that is a sure sign you've become positively charged and are about to be hit by lightning. Best thing you could do in that scenario is drop to the floor immediately.

Posted

A full quote here...

''This is an image no one would be happy to replicate. Two seconds after Mary McQuilken snapped this shot of her brothers posing on top of Moro Rock in Sequoia National Park, California a powerful lightning bolt struck them. A hiker just outside the frame was killed and Sean (on the left) eventually also died from complications associated with his injuries. Michael McQuilken (on the right) survived. The family was hiking in the Sierra Nevada during August 1975 when the incident occurred. Photo by Mary McQuilken''.

Found on this site which is a very interesting read..  http://imgur.com/a/1SXNI

This is a sad story really, your hair standing on end like that is a sure sign you've become positively charged and are about to be hit by lightning. Best thing you could do in that scenario is drop to the floor immediately.

Absolutely.

Posted

Thanks. Exactly!!

My goodness, if you're still up Will, look at that t-rex mother of a storm leaving the Algeria/Tunisia border, its the length of Wick to Portsmouth Posted Image

Worth checking this now folks, look at that beast coming into the med towards Sardinia. http://www.sat24.com/?ir=true&co=false&ra=false&li=true 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 1

Posted

Hmm, most times I have been to the Canaries, we've had one thunderstorm. In the last 2 years however, we've had none Posted Image

I've only been a couple of times, but did have a nice storm the last time I went to La Palma in 2011:

• Like 2

Posted

My goodness, if you're still up Will, look at that t-rex mother of a storm leaving the Algeria/Tunisia border, its the length of Wick to Portsmouth Posted Image

Posted Image

Guest William Grimsley

Posted Image

I can't get my head round that image. Are the red stars the lightning detectors and the blue dots the lightning strikes. Though, I see what you mean now. :D

Posted

I've only been a couple of times, but did have a nice storm the last time I went to La Palma in 2011:

Are thunderstorms common in the Canaries? I've never experienced one there as the weather is always so stable. Having looked back through holidays I can say I witnessed thunderstorms in Menorca on 31st August 2001, Barcelona on 30th July 2002 and again in Barcelona on 17th July 2011. The Barcelona area seems to be a humid and wet enclave in the northeast of the country.

Edited by Miguel Hugo Roberto

Posted

Are thunderstorms common in the Canaries? I've never experienced one there as the weather is always so stable. Having looked back through holidays I can say I witnessed thunderstorms in Menorca on 31st August 2001, Barcelona on 30th July 2002 and again in Barcelona on 17th July 2011. The Barcelona area seems to be a humid and wet enclave in the northeast of the country.

I don't think they necessarily are and this week coming certainly not:

Posted Image

• Like 1

Guest William Grimsley

I don't think they necessarily are and this week coming certainly not:

Posted Image

Where do you get these charts from, Coast? They look interesting.

Posted

Where do you get these charts from, Coast? They look interesting.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/tkavnmgeur.htm

:good: The bottom portion of the free-atmosphere section is what you should look at for convective activity, but it is only from GFS and should be used as a guide with other models and data.

Posted

beeen looking at the coast i cant see not a thing for next week for the ukPosted Image

If you take GFS I think you're right there Stuart, very quiet on the convective front.

• Like 1

Guest William Grimsley

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/tkavnmgeur.htm

Posted Image The bottom portion of the free-atmosphere section is what you should look at for convective activity, but it is only from GFS and should be used as a guide with other models and data.

Thanks, Coast. Looks very quiet. :(

If you take GFS I think you're right there Stuart, very quiet on the convective front.

Yes it is, annoying.