Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 23rd August onwards 2013

Guest William Grimsley

Now, there's quite a bit of action is starting in the Bay of Biscay (thunderstorms) which is pushing towards SW England. You can also see the altocumulus lines over SW England, too! Posted Image

post-15531-0-33399900-1378364279_thumb.j

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted

Yes! Right over me but its gone so, so dark, heavy and extremely thundery now! Wouldn't surprise me tonight to be fair! One of them stray storms that no one forecasts!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's interesting because I can now gauge what part of the sky is above the Isle of Man.

Posted

BBC Radio forecast from Jay Wynne this morning mentioned possible thunderstorms in the South, GFS says not:

Posted Image

Sunshine all the way!

Posted Image

Well until it gets dark

Posted Image

Guest William Grimsley

This looks interesting for Friday Evening! There could be lots of activity from this set up! :D

UK CAPE+Lifted Index. Valid: Fri 06/09 18:00.

Posted Image

Posted

ESTOFEX showing if you want storms today, get on a North sea ferry!

post-6667-0-20779800-1378366860_thumb.pn

Nothing either from the other dedciated UK storm sites for today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Latest models do seem to have shifted todays potential east, which essentially means it misses the uk, although Norfolk still in with a chance overnight. BBC still breaking out a risk of a thunderstorm north of London into EA this evening.

Guest William Grimsley

It looks like most of the activity will be on Friday Night with only a little bit on Saturday and Sunday before the whole area of thundery weather moves back into France, next week.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well the warnings of doom are gathering apace which will probably mean tonight and tomorrows rain event will be a damp squib. Forgive the pun. Interesting no amounts being given as yet which is the way I prefer it. Anyway plenty of Radar watching and ears open to listen to the rain on the roof.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Looks like we will get the brunt of this up here in Yorkshire. Not expecting anything convective though

Posted

Interesting that NMM placement of the rain suggests the Met Office need to adjust the Saturday warning. Fridays as well possibly if the NMM is right. For us though once Friday is out of the way it doesn't look too bad.

Posted

The LLC almost explodes overnight going from the GFS precip estimates, could be some exceptional rainfall totals across the Pennines because of this and definitely going to be noticeable in terms of temperature variation.

Guest William Grimsley

Now, there is activity starting in the Bay of Biscay with quite a lot of showers/thundery showers moving towards SW England. They are still a long way away so I wont get my hopes up. Tonight, I hope there might be something tonight for SW England.

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted

Differences again in the latest GFS pushing the rain further south once again for Saturday. So we've gone from dry to wet again. Guess we will have to wait until tomorrow to firm up the details.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Some quite decent clouds around here at the moment and sky is darkening to my NW. Seems to be an active storm breaking out over Norwich atm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Some quite decent clouds around here at the moment and sky is darkening to my NW. Seems to be an active storm breaking out over Norwich atm.

Can see that from here...Good luck!Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Can see that from here...Good luck!Posted Image

Not getting my hopes up but charts do at least show some cape around. Netweather storm risk maps showing some high probabilities for certain parts of EA this evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Can confirm rapid development here to my east, travelling north. Some deep booming thunder audible even though it's easily 30 miles away.

• Like 1

Posted

As i expected the north of Norfolk the place to be for an isolated storm this evening, I would not be surprised if there were more isolated storms around Norfolk through the night. Possibly (about 10% risk) for the Wash area and east coast of Lincolnshire too.

Tomorrow the attention seems to shift to the SW and South Wales during the afternoon and evening hours and possibly parts of NW England too much later on.

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Hell of a cell that one over Norwich. 127 sferics now and it's only been going a matter of minutes!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Can confirm rapid development here to my east, travelling north. Some deep booming thunder audible even though it's easily 30 miles away.

There appears to be a train of convection, NS...So maybe there's more to come for you - before it all relocates to Lincolnshire!Posted Image 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Hell of a cell that one over Norwich. 127 sferics now and it's only been going a matter of minutes!

Aylsham is in line for a soaking!

Posted

Have a feeling there's not enough moisture in the atmosphere around south EA, even though NetWeather thinks a 72% storm risk.

Posted

As i expected the north of Norfolk the place to be for an isolated storm this evening, I would not be surprised if there were more isolated storms around Norfolk through the night. Possibly (about 10% risk) for the Wash area and east coast of Lincolnshire too.

Tomorrow the attention seems to shift to the SW and South Wales during the afternoon and evening hours and possibly parts of NW England too much later on.

Good call from earlier Supacell.

• Like 1

Posted

It has developed in an area of high DLS, helicity and CAPE. It has the capacity to turn severe, although if that happens it may be over the North Sea by that time. I do feel there is more to come though for the lucky few of you that live in Norfolk.

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 1