Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn 2013

lorenzo

Posted

A very cold night with a low of -3C. A mostly cloudy day with some freezing cold rain. Now with plenty of showers in the area it's very wintry scene with a mix of clear, pale late afternoon sky and some purple/grey shower clouds and brighter colours where the remaining sunlight shines. So far the maximum temperature at the airport is 5C - quite exceptional for 5th November. Hopefully today will be the first of the winter with temperature failing to get higher than 5C. I've just come back from a walk and it is baltic out there. I couldn't see the Campsie hills but I wonder if there's any snow on them.

Edited by A Winter's Tale
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A cold day here with some light showers in the afternoon following a fair frosty morning. Max was a rather chilly 3.4C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

A cold night here, walking back from the cinema.'Sunshine on Leith' - it's a cracking good film. By the end I was in tears with a huge grin - this is some city… 

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Yes great film.The proclaimers are a national treasure.There were so many other songs they could have put in the film.That just shows the strength of their songwriting.Highly underrated as some of the songs are just mind blowingly original.Anyway I expect the Ochills to be white tomorrow at some point.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

A low of -4'C yesterday, so a nice start to the season! That's me officially out of my summer hibernation for NW Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! Not so cold last night, temp down to 2.6. Dry and a bit murky just now, hope it clears up a bit!

Posted

1c start more fresh snow on the hills overnight down to below 1500feet and ground frost here. Currently 3.8c and sunny

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Another car scrape start to the day this morning but not quite as cold. Only 0C at 9am compared to -2C yesterday at the same time. Blue skies, sun, patchy clouds and a light breeze means I'd rather not be sitting in the office looking out. Stayed dry for the fireworks last night too, which strangely it always seems to.

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Third Morning this week with a good old white frost giving the appearance of a wintry scene.

Also, first slight powdering of Snaw on the Ochil Hills this morning!

Big Innes

• Like 3

Posted

Grey wet drive to Scarborough this morning, a slight dusting on the hills at top end of M74 made for a pretty scene on what was an ultimate boring drive.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Grey wet drive to Scarborough this morning, a slight dusting on the hills at top end of M74 made for a pretty scene on what was an ultimate boring drive.

Is it not always boring heading south Cheggers??Always a more interesting drive heading homewards.........post-18260-0-08825300-1383744945.jpgpost-18260-0-06564400-1383744955_thumb.j
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Aw… Northumberland, Cumbria and Yorkshire are lovely places… and most of my family are from the North of England… *sniffles pathetically and tries to look endearingly appealing*XC is claiming it's 5C out there, but I just took the bins out and I claim it's bloody freezing, whatever temperature it is. Seriously nippy (the weather, not me!)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Aw… Northumberland, Cumbria and Yorkshire are lovely places… and most of my family are from the North of England… *sniffles pathetically and tries to look endearingly appealing*

We just need to move the stone a bit further south (possibly even as far as the Watford gap)Posted Image 

The Yorkshire dales rock, speaking from the perspective of both a (once was at least) geologist and a connoisseur of fine ales in little friendly village pubs.

5 C. Winter tyres going on Friday morning. Cannae wait; summer treads on their last limbs and the car handles like a drunk elephant on roller-skates when there's surface water.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Have to say I'd draw the line at adding Yorkshire to a breakaway north Britain.  They can form their own Boycottdom.  (With apologies to all my Yorkshire friends, BMW...)

The winters have been earning their money this week so far. Watching the commuters tiptoeing round roundabouts is irritating now - they're almost as bad as the sodding campervans!  Another cold one in the morning I think.  Clear & chilly tonight, the car went *bing* several times to warn about low temps, bloody German engineering.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

snow looking good on the nevis range

post-18233-0-65225200-1383782327_thumb.j

hopefully the colder theme being seen on the GFS can become reality and we will all see snow like this in the gardens and the streets soon

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I think it'll be a wee while yet BUS, but I like the sentiment Posted Image

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_12z/hgtcomp.html

Certainly the main interest is the Pacific ridge - my LRF composite map had this featuring pretty strongly in all three months so at some point we're bound to see it amplify sufficiently to affect a pattern change, whether that's set off by increased GLAAM or a stratospheric warming event or something else.

At the moment, I think we will see enough amplification for a northerly by say the 22nd, those anomalies suggest heights building to the west and with any forcing from the Pacific ridge heights could easily ridge northwards towards Greenland, at least temporarily. It's not exactly an uncommon pattern for late November anyway, certainly nothing like as much of a stretch as the almost unique November 2010 event. A look back at recent years and some of the analogue years suggest that it's almost odds on:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted

Very cold start to the day with a strong SW wind and a temperature of 2.8c making the old farmhouse feel decidedly chilly.  Cows and calves shifted for last time into south facing field before coming in in 10 days so winter is properly here. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! Horrible daym up here, wind and driving rain. A day for the fire if ever there was one. Metcheck still showing snow for our area on Friday, every other weather site showing rain. I guess it'll be rain then...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Very cold start to the day with a strong SW wind and a temperature of 2.8c making the old farmhouse feel decidedly chilly.  Cows and calves shifted for last time into south facing field before coming in in 10 days so winter is properly here. 

I trust NL better than the GFS Posted Image for the Winter is here..

The Pacific Rim is struggling away to amplify sufficiently to make inroads in the Arctic. The peak around +72 hrs for the wave activity created from the Kaijus.

Week 3 and 4 CFS shows the mid Atlantic ridging, then some high latitude blocking into December.

http://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/people/sweaver/cfs_fcst/images1/wk3.wk4_20131105.z500.gif

post-7292-0-42247900-1383810762_thumb.gi

Overall a positive AO outlook, but this isn't hard and fast for Winter. The AO after peaking is trending negative for a period, and the NAO weakly negative, so some blocking across either Greenland > Scandi > Russia potentially on the cards.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning. Another nice one here. 2.8c presently after a low of 1.7c overnight with a moderate breeze. Don't know about anyone else but I have found the last few days decidedly chilly here? Still watching and waiting for the signs of winter in Europe. Probably not long to wait now though. I still believe that the longer it holds off, the worst it will be!Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Frosty again here this morning, except with it having rained yesterday it was a flaming ice rink. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Another frost and scrape of the car at 8am this morning, although the early morning temps have been trending upwards (Tue 9am -2C, Wed 9am 0C, Thu 8am 2C). Similar start to yesterday too with blue sky, sun, some patchy cloud and a light breeze. Anything but 'mild and zonal' here in the last few days.