Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 22nd October onwards 2013

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

@TP, SLEET in mid Autumn now that's pushing it a bit!... 

Not really had it in September before. Had lying Snow in November as well. Temps were low enough as well at the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Yes,looks like a very potent cell.

Posted Imagehiradarzoomv42.png

Many Thanks Cloud10 and Andy for the radar grabs. I have a question however, how did you both get to produce them as I thought the usual NW radar only went back a couple of hours. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Many Thanks Cloud10 and Andy for the radar grabs. I have a question however, how did you both get to produce them as I thought the usual NW radar only went back a couple of hours. Posted Image

both V4 & V6 go back 24 hours Tony

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

both V4 & V6 go back 24 hours Tony

Thanks AJ. I got off my I a rse and did a bit of searching but still can't get the zoomed function on the radar archive link, which is where I suppose these grabs came from. Such a shame the location maps go blank. Nevertheless a most useful function that I wasn't even aware of. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Thanks AJ. I got off my I a rse and did a bit of searching but still can't get the zoomed function on the radar archive link, which is where I suppose these grabs came from. Such a shame the location maps go blank. Nevertheless a most useful function that I wasn't even aware of. Posted Image

What i did was get a postcode for the area concerned then zoom in on it,then slide the radar back

to the desired time and then save the image.

So,for example the radar image for Newbury at 1pm yesterday looked like this,and the locations

are shown by pressing the "overlay places" button before saving the image.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I think when doing a radar zoom using the dashed box, right clicking and saving the image will remove the overlays and just show the precip returns. I used to print screen in that scenario and then paste it to mspaint and save it as a png.  

Guest William Grimsley

I think when doing a radar zoom using the dashed box, right clicking and saving the image will remove the overlays and just show the precip returns. I used to print screen in that scenario and then paste it to mspaint and save it as a png.

Yes, I do what you do all the time. Though, I paste the image in Paint and save it as a .jpg file, instead.

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted

Thank you all. I really am useless at times as I even didn't think to use the slider function in order to get images from the last 24 hours, still learning it seems. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

@TP, SLEET in mid Autumn now that's pushing it a bit!...Nice to read some had hail. more exciting then sleet, well unless it's turning to snow! saying that a covering of hail can be quite incredible!

Not really, it is November now so sleet perfectly feasible especially in areas such as Yorkshire. We are only 3 weeks from the official start of winter and I have seen snow plenty of times in November (official in terms of the meteorological calendar anyway).

Edited by Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Not really, it is November now so sleet perfectly feasible especially in areas such as Yorkshire. We are only 3 weeks from the official start of winter and I have seen snow plenty of times in November (official in terms of the meteorological calendar anyway).

Believe it or not, we had a covering of 'snow' on our conservatory yesterday. By 'snow' I mean the soft hail variation. Wasn't balls of ice (hail) and wasn't soft flakes (snow) but somewhere inbetween!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Believe it or not, we had a covering of 'snow' on our conservatory yesterday. By 'snow' I mean the soft hail variation. Wasn't balls of ice (hail) and wasn't soft flakes (snow) but somewhere inbetween!

Graupel snow?

Had loads of that last year in croydon.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted

Looks like it could be back to a very quiet convective period:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The 14th has a slight blip to the North, but I don't think it will bring much if any convective weather.

Posted

ESTOFEX make mention of Scotland today, but nothing of particular note:

post-6667-0-66310400-1384255297_thumb.pn

Storm Forecast
Valid: Tue 12 Nov 2013 06:00 to Wed 13 Nov 2013 06:00 UTC
Issued: Mon 11 Nov 2013 22:10
Forecaster: GROENEMEIJER

SYNOPSIS

The main players are a large cut-off low located between Sicily and Tunisia, which is filled with unstable air, a shortwave trough north of Scotland which moves eastward to reach Scandinavia early on Wednesday.

DISCUSSION

Scotland and Norway...

Embedded within a strong westerly flow, with 20-25 m/s wind speeds at 850 hPa, scattered showers and thunderstorms are forecast. They will bring strong wind gusts, which may locally exceed 25 m/s. Because of the marginal convective component of these gusts, a risk level seems not appropriate.

Posted

ESTOFEX still hanging onto some small chance off the NW coast of Scotland today:

post-6667-0-21241400-1384328364_thumb.pn

Storm Forecast
Valid: Wed 13 Nov 2013 06:00 to Thu 14 Nov 2013 06:00 UTC
Issued: Tue 12 Nov 2013 21:44
Forecaster: PUCIK
A level 1 was issued for Greece mainly for excessive precipitation and to the lesser degree for marginally large hail and tornadoes. 

SYNOPSIS

A complex synoptic scale pattern is forecast over Europe. The northern half should be under the influence of two pronounced short-wave troughs. As of Wednesday 12 UTC, the first one will stretch from Northern Scandinavia towards Poland, the other one will be located just west of the British Isles. Towards the south, a ridge will amplify from the Atlantic towards France, dividing aforementioned troughs from disturbance over Iberia and quite persistent and almost stationary cut-off low centered south of Italy. This cut-off low will drift only very slowly towards the east and should be a major feature regarding the DMC development during the day. 

Guest William Grimsley
Posted · Hidden by Jane Louise, November 13, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Jane Louise, November 13, 2013 - No reason given

I don't think that I'm not agree it with Daily Star, just maybe right on that way.TYPHOON WARNING: Winter weather hell as killer storm heads towards BRITAIN for Christmas.The fallout from Super Typhoon Haiyan will wreak havoc in Britain throughout winter 2013 with the long range weather forecast warning heavy snow, huge storms, high winds and freezing temperatures are heading to the UK for this Christmas.Leon Brown, from the Weather Channel, said: “The typhoon will have an effect everywhere.“At the moment warmth and moisture is moving north into China so it will take a couple of weeks before it hits the UK.“We predict that it will change the circulation of the entire northern hemisphere.â€Forecasters have been warning that the entire country is set for a horror freeze this winter which will bring brutal winds and fierce blizzards.Temperatures have already started to plunge as a swathe of cold air from the Arctic has swept across the UK.The first long-range forecasts warn of "record breaking snowfall" next month.Heavy wintry showers are expected to cause widespread chaos with below-average temperatures possibly lingering until February.Long-range forecasters blamed the position of a fast-flowing band of air known as the jet stream near to Britain and high pressure for the extreme conditions.Jonathan Powell, forecaster for Vantage Weather Services, said: 'We are looking at a potentially paralysing winter, the worst for decades, which could at times grind the nation to a halt.“Very heavy snowfall is likely."The UK’s weather system is so complex that we will see more and more extreme weather on the way according to the Daily Star reporter.The answer is no or just maybe right on that way.I think that the typhoon will have affects everywhere. The typhoon conditions will be a very likely to get the extreme storms with the rain, snow, moistures, huge storms and brutal winds with fierce blizzards are potentially very dangerous winds that could cause blown things away from Saint Jude storm is possible.I don't think that the typhoon will be a strengthen to be a mega storm with very powerful hurricane strength storms and deadly storms on the way for this winter is possible but I don't be a disagree it with Daily Star. The answers is no.I'm not forecast with Daily Star either. Anyway, we should be monitor on the way as soon as possible.Take extras care with everyone in the next few weeks that we should be a monitor on the way with even possible should be sooner or later on.

Ok. Does anyone else agree with me that this is just slightly over the top?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost
Posted · Hidden by Jane Louise, November 13, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Jane Louise, November 13, 2013 - No reason given

Talk about picking extreme words or what, like some thing from a movie!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Next week interesting wintry downpours of sleet, snow(and hail )even in the south, These could produce snow in the north I'd expect sleet in the south and low level snow in north, are post some detail later on convective side of the wintry spell

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Guys..we have a media related thread - surely this story hasn't anything to with the convective discussion Posted Image

Despite the current lack of anything convective. This may change into next week, as more active cold fronts enter the equation.

Yes, you're right. I will move it across.Posted Image

Posted

I like cold showery airflows, well as long as enough chance of clouds getting big enough, If only we had surface warmth too like in Spring ..

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

I think there may be a small chance of thundersnow for some western coasts next week given the GFS upper air profile...

• Like 1

Posted

Yes possibly if there is enough unstable air and snow falls and temperature interaction happen right time/place then thundersnow could be.It's difficult to forecast even on the day/night but interesting to look at early possibilitys that far out!

Posted

I did see a bit of shearing of cloud tops out to sea this morning, ESTOFEX highlighting an area just to the North of France:

post-6667-0-52352800-1384415336_thumb.pn

Storm Forecast
Valid: Thu 14 Nov 2013 06:00 to Fri 15 Nov 2013 06:00 UTC
Issued: Thu 14 Nov 2013 03:20
Forecaster: GATZEN
A level 1 was issued for the southern Aegean Sea region and south-western Turkey mainly for excessive precipitation.

SYNOPSIS

The east Mediterranean cut-off low will weaken and moves east during the day. It will be associated with widespread thunderstorms initially. Further north, a zone of rather high geopotential across Europe is crossed by a strong trough over western Europe that forms a closed low over southern France on Friday. It is associated with strong cold air advection.

DISCUSSION

France, western Mediterranean

An intense trough will rapidly move south across western Europe. It is associated with very strong DCVA especially at the cyclonically sheared flank of a strong mid-level jet streak that will spread from north-western France to southern France during the day. The trough will start to form another closed low centred over southern France at the end of the period.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Surface lapse rates up in that area:

Posted Image

Guest William Grimsley

A few hail showers made an appearance throughout today..taster of things to come perhaps. 

I hope so.

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted

taster of things to come perhaps. 

Next week? maybe:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image