Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 22nd October onwards 2013

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Took kids to Bradford today and as a special treat (for me) got a thunderstorm with Lots of Hail. Kids hated it but i loved it

• Like 1

Posted

Two or three heavy showers moved E to the south of bath / Bristol last night which gave a few flashes plus some brief hail here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

There was certainly an incredible hailstorms last night between 10 and 11pm with driving wind but didn't hear any thunder. Within minutes it had passed and fireworks were going off again.

Again this morning there are more hail showers streaming in off the Bristol Channel and the temperature is consistently falling.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

There was a flash and a large rumble of thunder in Cardiff around 2am this morning, then the heaven's opened and it piddled down.

• Like 1

Posted

Some great flashes lastnight here looked great over the hills but it didnt last long though at the same time the winds increased and it chucked it down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Temp dropped here now but sun is out ,we had a torrential 10 min spell of rain followed by a good covering of hail about mid day ish ,actually we still have some hail on pots out back in the shade .noticed our next low steaming towards us and i think probably reaching our area with rain about the four oclock time ,so this could cause local flooding issues ,no sign as of yet of a couple of dry days in a row .did see some spectacular lightning last night towards midnight but was mostly in distance ,with severall spells of hvy showers banging against our west facing window .Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Yes I see GFS has negative LI as yellow along far south and even in to SE, and I am expecting some thunderstorms through the Channel and along S coast late eve into night. I think some intense convection as thundery rain develops later across S-UK. And gale to severe gale force winds depends on track of low how far north from south coast these winds evolve.

Guest William Grimsley

Yes I see GFS has negative LI as yellow along far south and even in to SE, and I am expecting some thunderstorms through the Channel and along S coast late eve into night. I think some intense convection as thundery rain develops later across S-UK. And gale to severe gale force winds depends on track of low how far north from south coast these winds evolve.

Yes, it is possible that heavy rain, thundery rain at times and thunderstorms will move into SW, S and SE England, this evening and tonight. Though, what I find interesting is that the low Lifted Index and high CAPE will move along the S coast from the W to E like a rain band. I hope that there is some heavy rain, thundery rain at times and thunderstorm, this evening and tonight, here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

short sharp shower from some mid based cloud here as a little elevated convection has developed in front of the main rain band.....quite a lively downpour

Guest William Grimsley

short sharp shower from some mid based cloud here as a little elevated convection has developed in front of the main rain band.....quite a lively downpour

Yes, a moderate rain shower went over Lyneham between 15:10 and 15:35. Also, there are quite a few moderate rain showers which have developed to the E of, here.

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted

Yes, a moderate rain shower went over Lyneham between 15:10 and 15:35. Also, there are quite a few moderate rain showers which have developed to the E of, here.

Absolutely tipping down here and will be for the next 6 hours or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Twas a bit more than a moderate shower, that's for sure....the radar doesn't always tell the full story!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Exactly what many experience, a very small intense cell within a normal looking shower can be seen as a tiny pixel! need to zoom in to see it. Wondering how much lightning could break out over the Channel later and pnssibly along the shore, that's the high risk area but could get some tstms inland too.

Guest William Grimsley

Twas a bit more than a moderate shower, that's for sure....the radar doesn't always tell the full story!

Yes, I know that as I've had many occurrences where the radar has underestimated the rainfall rate!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Truckers are reporting very hvy continuouse rain near plymouth indeed radar shows this nicely .looks like a possible very lively night a long southern counties with some very intense downpours .this system to my eye looks just a little bit further north than forecast ,looks like yet another interesting night ,also this week could produce some large rainfall totalls ,cheers all Posted Image

Posted

Truckers are reporting very hvy continuouse rain near plymouth indeed radar shows this nicely .looks like a possible very lively night a long southern counties with some very intense downpours .this system to my eye looks just a little bit further north than forecast ,looks like yet another interesting night ,also this week could produce some large rainfall totalls ,cheers all Posted ImageI

I can vouch for that.

Edited by BARRY

Posted

A while away just yet, but Met O and GFS forecasting something for late Friday, but in very different areas:

Posted Image

Posted Image

post-6667-0-78815800-1383553178_thumb.jp

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/city-of-london-greater-london#?tab=fiveDay&fcTime=1383523200

Guest William Grimsley

Interestingly, there are quite a lot of altocumulus clouds in the skies, at the moment. There will be rain which will move in this evening and overnight. But, it's not showers, thundery rain or thunderstorms. So, I can't understand why the air is so unstable, here.

Posted

Interestingly, there are quite a lot of altocumulus clouds in the skies, at the moment. There will be rain which will move in this evening and overnight. But, it's not showers, thundery rain or thunderstorms. So, I can't understand why the air is so unstable, here.

it's not so much the  air being unstable, as altocumulus is a very common cloud which in this case is associated with a weakening occlusion which will bring showery rain overnight through our region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Clear skies all round today. What was exceptional though, is that the visibility was that clear that I could make out cells as far as Manchester and the Wirral from Cambridgeshire!! That is some distance.