Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 22nd October onwards 2013

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

2pm was quite dark like dusk on Friday with some downpours!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Just had a hugeeee rumble of thunder, very loud indeed

Posted

ESTOFEX don't really have a big threat to the UK:

post-6667-0-81370800-1383988867_thumb.pn

Storm Forecast
Valid: Sat 09 Nov 2013 06:00 to Sun 10 Nov 2013 06:00 UTC
Issued: Sat 09 Nov 2013 00:33
Forecaster: PISTOTNIK
A level 1 was issued for parts of NE Italy, Slovenia and Croatia mainly for excessive precipitation and severe convective wind gusts.

A level 1 was issued for W France for tornadoes and severe convective wind gusts.

SYNOPSIS

Embedded in a strong Westerly background flow, a long-wave trough translates from France to Central Europe and amplifies into the Central Mediterranean. Numerous surface lows, some of them small and transient, form in response to travelling vorticity maxima in the disturbed flow and affect much of Europe. Forecast uncertainties are accordingly large, but all solutions agree that deep convection will be seasonably tied to maritime areas.
The most important features are as follows: The parent cyclone is expected to move from Denmark to the Baltic Sea, and its cold front curls across Central Europe into the Central Mediterranean, delayed by a lee cyclogenesis over Northern Italy. A subsequent, smaller frontal system will cross France, BeNeLux and Germany later on, followed by a particularly strong vorticity maximum on the back side of the main trough, which will move from England into the Netherlands, Belgium and Northern France overnight. On the anticyclonic side of two jet streaks that flank the long-wave trough, Iberia and Southeastern Europe experience mild and calm conditions.

DISCUSSION

... North Sea and surroundings ...

Scattered showers are expected throughout the forecast period in the cool, weakly sheared air mass beneath the base of the main trough over the North Sea. A few of them may grow deep enough to produce a limited amount of lightning. Activity will subside over the British Isles in the second half of the forecast period, where it gets quenched by increasing warm air advection, but will increase in coastal areas of the Netherlands, Belgium and Northern France late at night with the arrival of the strongest vorticity lobe. Apart from an isolated waterspout, severe weather is unlikely.

GFS very isolated chances up in the NW and possibly off the South Coast:

Posted Image

Posted

GFS very isolated chances up in the NW and possibly off the South Coast:

Just after I typed that it all went black and we had a huge clap of thunder!!! Great stuff!!! Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Short intense hail storm and a bit more thunder right overhead:

• Like 3

Guest William Grimsley

Short intense hail storm and a bit more thunder right overhead:

Nice hail storm, Coast! Though, there has been way more in the past, here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

Some strikes showing up west of Sheffield at the moment,storm shield under threat?Posted Image 

fingers crossed..it's clear and sunny here now..hope it blows over this way!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

Here it is! Very dark cloud approaching

Posted

had a bit of a storm after lunch when in Manchester earlier, saw a couple of flashes and a few rumbles, nothing major though but nice to see again in whats been an interesting autumn here for convection, 

warm seas after that warm summer no doubt is the cause,  lets hope the winter is not a prolonged severe cold one, we need to keep those SST high for a more active year next year,   the spring  and  summer itself was poor for storms, no doubt because of the unusual cold march....but now the SST have recovered it seems to be feeding the convection for autumn

Edited by IanR

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Some strikes showing up west of Sheffield at the moment,storm shield under threat?Posted Image 

It's fine don't worry it's just got a streamer to shred that's all. :)  Unlikely to be any lightning from the shower unless it rebuilds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

It's fine don't worry it's just got a streamer to shred that's all. :) Unlikely to be any lightning from the shower unless it rebuilds.

I see the sferics have started up again as the showers move over Lincolnshire :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well I have the sleet instead. Yup it's sleeting temp taking a plunge as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Sleet wouldn't surprise me, its cold out there. No doubt been first snow of the season up on the likes of Kinder and Bleaklow.

Posted

A friend reported a tornado (not sure if a funnel was seen or not) in Trevone Bay (near Padstow) at 7.30am this morning. Some damage and a friends chicken house was sent flying killing her chickens. Photos are on facebook but I'm not great with embedding photos from elsewhere. Anyone able to check radar returns for that time/area?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

A friend reported a tornado (not sure if a funnel was seen or not) in Trevone Bay (near Padstow) at 7.30am this morning. Some damage and a friends chicken house was sent flying killing her chickens. Photos are on facebook but I'm not great with embedding photos from elsewhere. Anyone able to check radar returns for that time/area?

If you PM Paul he might be able to produce something regarding the radar. Hopefully I'll see the pics sometime as you are aware, I know the area quite well. Wouldn't have been a million miles away from your place, I guess.

• Like 1

Posted

post-107-0-10390800-1384031578_thumb.png

I have saved this radar grab from 07.30 zoomed to the Newquay/Padstow area but for some reason the background map hasn't saved with it, the intense red/pink echo is just West of Padstow so would be indicative of an extremely active cell.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Sounds like an F0 if it was a tornado!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

@TP, SLEET in mid Autumn now that's pushing it a bit!...

Nice to read some had hail. more exciting then sleet, well unless it's turning to snow! saying that a covering of hail can be quite incredible!

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Off to Tenerife tomorrow. Hopefully a thunderstorm there. If not, maybe I'll see something from the plane on the way there and back!

Got my storm Posted Image  Was an absolute corker. Left everywhere flooded, powercuts and thunder and lightning galore. I understand how hard it was of you to predict though, due to the climate in the Canaries and how these LPs can come from nowhere! This was developing from the south and hit all the Canary Islands on the 3rd of this month. Videos and pictures will follow at some point!

• Like 4