Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 18th Nov.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

hello all

Can we stop posting stuff about the Met Office PLEASE. Discussion of what you feel the models are showing not forecasts from others is what this thread is for. By all means post comments about them in the correct thread-many thanks

Following on from that John a number of earlier posts have been removed.

Come on guys too many off topic views are creeping in so let's get back on track-models only please.

There are plenty of threads for other stuff.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The stronger the secondary low undercutting is from the trough off Newfoundland, the more the high will resist and distort the polar vortex.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Anomalies  for last frame of the GFS.

Posted Image

Not really screaming potential but its there, Atlantic blocked by a wandering Azores high and a decent pacific ridge.

Just because its not showing anything not doesn't mean it will show it any later, I mean just look at the date its only the 5th.

"Lower your expectations and you won't be so disappointed"

Cold will come just give it a chance.

Even as the strat goes it wants to split the vortex with the main in piece in Siberia that's go to be something to keep your hopes up.

I mean look at this latest CFS run.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Do I dare show you March?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Keep your chin and look forward to the next 4 months.

As you never know future generation may never be able to experience the mayhem of knowing what the models are going to do. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

The stronger the secondary low undercutting is from the trough off Newfoundland, the more the high will resist and distort the polar vortex.

Can I make a small point that when people actually locate the feature they are talking about (as this post does) it certainly helps people (me) to understand what's being said.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

It seems the low in the Med is a bit deeper, is that helping prop the high up a bit and allowing the possibility of the low going under, rather than getting sucked up by the bigger low off the east coast? 

6z

Posted Image

12z

Posted Image

I know it has ended up going over, but just an observation in comparison to the 6z

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Still some conflict over the track of Melissa. It will be interesting how the models continue to react as it moves further North

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Why are we tracking 'Melissa'? Is there a chance the UK will still be covered with low uppers and give us a chance of a little snowmageddon 'if' this LP system arrives? :)

Posted

I think there ought to be a bit more reading between the lines that there are some who post on this thread who like to try and suggest how the pattern may evolve some time ahead based on attempts at reading background factors and potential atmospheric signals - but that these are used as a measure of progress to test against and are not intended necessarily to be taken at face value as any definitive long term forecast. This isn't crystal ball gazing - and should not be confused as such, and not discouraged in any way as such posts from members like these can prove useful for discussion and as a learning tool.

Completely agree. For instance, I'm watching for a proper cold period in the 2 next weeks because I've seen the current movement of blocking to our latitudes often being just an early stage in a more general push north of pressure. But that's just me experimenting. I'm sure we all do a bit of this, the models are just a starting point.
  • Like 2

Posted

Why are we tracking 'Melissa'? Is there a chance the UK will still be covered with low uppers and give us a chance of a little snowmageddon 'if' this LP system arrives? Posted Image

Because it will have impacts on what happens to the general pattern I believe. It certainly won';t be bringing us snowmageddon.

• Like 2

Posted

Why are we tracking 'Melissa'? Is there a chance the UK will still be covered with low uppers and give us a chance of a little snowmageddon 'if' this LP system arrives? Posted Image

none, but ex tropical storms are in plain English-bloody sods to try and predict, they tend to scupper or at least mess up most model predictions. This is partly due to the huge amounts of moisture and heat they inject into the north Atlantic area once they move into that area.

• Like 7

Posted

Scandi high anyone?

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Scandi high anyone?

Posted Image

Todays CFS 0z run has Scandi High from T252:post-14819-0-41470600-1384878371_thumb.p

To T600: post-14819-0-07087100-1384878389_thumb.p

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Todays CFS 0z run has Scandi High from T252:Posted Imagecfs-0-252.png

To T600: Posted Imagecfs-0-600.png

I'd be suicidal if that came off. Very rare for a Scandi high to produce anything worthwhile for the  NW. Posted Image

Can we all hope for a Greenland high instead, that more often produces country wide. Posted Image

Unless something unexpected turns up in the output soon I think I will just have to accept the weather is not always as exciting as I would like it to be.

Posted Image

Posted

Yuk, this isn't going to end nice at all if I was a betting man.

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

"Yuk, this isn't going to end nice at all if I was a betting man."

Posted Image

And a few frames later a split vortex. Posted Image

Posted Image

Not making fun of you, there was no way to predict that. It is just shows we never really know what is around the corner even when the pattern looks flat.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 4

Posted

A progressive 12z with a strengthening PV, we are hanging onto the settled conditions by day 10 but the Atlantic is banging the door down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Not too far off a bartlett high type set up looks a temporary set up though, with it comes the milder air

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

A progressive 12z with a strengthening PV, we are hanging onto the settled conditions by day 10 but the Atlantic is banging the door down.

The PV then gets split in two and high pressure is back in control to a degree. As other posters have said, you never know what's around the corner haha!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Just follow through the GFS on the hemisphere view, the PV is like a boxer on the ropes getting battered left, right and centre, it regroups only for it to be split apart again. Given the long term signal for this, we can be assured that zonal is way down on the list of possibilities.

Posted

The PV then gets split in two and high pressure is back in control to a degree. As other posters have said, you never know what's around the corner haha!

Yup FI is FI. GFS 12z FI could of turned out to be anything with a tweak here or a tweak there, from blowtorch to deep freeze. 

The only time FI is really worth looking at is for a general signal in the ensembles.

I am sure this has been said before (just once or twice Posted Image ) but trying to call anything from one run on one model in FI is crazy talk.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Very end of GFS shows the next area of high pressure waiting in the wings, with low pressure anchored over Greenland

Posted Image

The one crumb of comfort for those seeking colder weather is it would be turning cooler once more

Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun