Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - 29/11/2013 ---->

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Another heavy hail shower just passed through. Now +2.5C/-0.4C (-1.4C/hr).

It's sunny but now light snow here - always odd when its sun with light snow falling from who knows where! (oh and first snow here I've seen this season!)

Edited by over_the_rainbow
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

I was not expecting this as the forecast was for it to be further north but we are having some 'robust' snowy, sleety showers at the moment and its getting colder all the time. By the looks of the radar we could be in for some quite heavy showers through the afternoon.

That last shower gavetheochils a good covering, I wll post a photo later :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I wonder if the extreme cold in USA is causing our lack of activity weather wise on this side of the pond? Seems a bit of a silly comment I know, after our storm, but GFS is yet again another copy and paste job for the next fortnight?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

It falls....it melts in the sun....it falls.....it melts in the sun.

Anyway it's lovely to see it falling.......and the wildlife is already foraging in it.

post-10976-0-77244500-1386249815_thumb.j

Oh, and it's -0.2C here!

• Like 6

Posted

Thunder, lightning, torrential rain, sunshine with clear blue skies, storm force winds and now a heavy snow flurry. All happening in Edinburgh today!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Its belting doon in the wind and its no rain! it's SNOW!!!

Not that i'm in the slightest happy you understand Lol

First snow today!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Barometric pressure 1011 hPa and rising (+1.8 hPa/hr) from a minimum of 992 hPA.

Yes OTR a few proper snowflakes out here too now and the next shower incoming from the North and yes it is of snow. +3.7C/-1.1C in bright sunshine before shower.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

30 minutes or so of snow trying hard to fall - sometimes tiny flecks, but some nice big fluffy flakes… none settled, and none of it heavy but it still made me very happy.BleakMidwinter, suddenly aged 10 :)

• Like 6

Posted

It's been snowing for most of the past hour here and there's now a complete covering on the grass. This is much more than you'd normally expect from a northerly here. I guess it's the strength of the flow?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

pretty windy last night lay in bed a 4 o'clock thinking my roof was going to be ripped off with all the creaking and groaning going on.

been out and about today and theres trees and fences down all around the place.

had a couple of snow showers but nothing really amounting to much and not really expecting anything noteworthy either.

• Like 1

Posted

A lovely snow flurry has just passed through. Great to see the fluffy snow flakes floating down then flying around in some windy bursts. A really windy night I couldn't get any sleep til about 4am - others in the house barely got to sleep at all. At the time it seemed pretty bad but I suppose I slept through the worst of it. It seems that it was really severe across the entire nation - we should have had a red warning. A lovely tranquil winter's day with much colder, brighter and clearer conditions with some light and brief snow flurries. The recent one which is just easing lasted around 10mins and at times was fairly moderate. Now some of that wintry afternoon blue sky is coming back from the NW.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Was heavy snow in Glasgow now gone off!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

It's been snowing for most of the past hour here and there's now a complete covering on the grass. This is much more than you'd normally expect from a northerly here. I guess it's the strength of the flow?

Aye, a strong flow combined with low heights and massive temperature gradient (-12C uppers now into the far north) is providing exceptionally good convective conditions, which will ease somewhat unfortunately this evening when the colder 500hpas move eastwards, but still some fun to be had this afternoon:

Posted Image

The skew-t for Aberdeen shows CAPE to be massive, almost thunderstorm levels, with a cloud base around 900hpa and not capped until 500hpa, so major instability there.

Posted Image

A look at the radar shows what might have been if we'd managed greater amplification - November 2010-esque convection out in the North Sea where the 500hpas are sub -40C and conditions for Polar lows are optimal. Looks like Glasgow is taking a direct hit from a shower now though...

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

Further and more frequent and heavy snow showers. All schools in Shetland closing early and will remain closed tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

The skew-t for Aberdeen shows CAPE to be massive, almost thunderstorm levels, with a cloud base around 900hpa and not capped until 500hpa, so major instability there.

Pity then that we currently have lovely blue skies almost wall to wall.

Shower activity has really died down, with only a smattering of lying snow on cars and grass.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Showers dying off, -1C. Random flaming power cuts all day, given up trying to do anything useful so off out.  Still can't get how the Graun mistook Inverness for Aonach Mor, bunch of London-centric tossers. Almost might make me vote yes.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Pity then that we currently have lovely blue skies almost wall to wall.

Shower activity has really died down, with only a smattering of lying snow on cars and grass.

Aye, we had a flurry or two. Soutra has a dusting of white.

Still something of a strong breeze with the occasional gust, but calmed down now.

Posted

Snow in Prestwick at sea level. Don't see that every day!

Not lying but falling heavy.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Found out where all the draughts are in my house though!! time for some more sealing etc 

Extractor over cooker is now acting as a wind funnel - its freezing in my kitchen.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Some great pics of the snaw can be found on this website ... sadly its the 1962/63 winter!  Maintaining the hope. 

http://www.jflude.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=70

Oh and lastly this - "Rain in Scotland and Northern Ireland, associated with 

a deep depression near Iceland, spread to all districts 
between the 5th - 8th turning to snow over much of the higher 
ground in Scotland"  Regarding 1962/63 winter again (you can see the similarities though)
  • Like 1

Posted

Still very windy here regularly gusting up to 56mph, the shore is littered with rogue wheelie bins and their contents strewn everywhere!  The dafty family up the hill from me left their kids trampoline and plastic chute out unsecured in their exposed garden and they are now blowing around the street!  Had graupel and light snow showers on and off all day, thankfully it's now cold enough for it to settle, currently 0 c and light snow.Posted Image

• Like 1