Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - 29/11/2013 ---->

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

I hear Glasgow Central is closing. Debris smashed through the glass roof it would seem.

Posted

Morning all, bit wild out there today then !

Stay safe. Away to try and get a train which may be either running slowly, delayed or cancelled - Scotrail very informative !!

Very strong gusts here, lights flickering a lot. A proper hoolie.

I'm not trying the train for a couple of hours, then train line goes straight past my house and I haven't seen anything this morning yet. First train was meant to be about 8:25 but just shows as delayed!

My mate is on a bus in Glasgow and just text me to say he saw a power flash from a transformer so somewhere must have no leccy over there...

Temp dropping quickly here now, down to 4.7c from 7c about an hour ago Posted Image

Edited by Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Frm BBC just now: 

"BREAKING NEWS
The entire Scottish rail network is being closed. Network Rail say it is not safe to run trains."

The entire rail network? Anyone know when that last happened?
Edited by BleakMidwinter
  • Like 3

Posted

It also says on the network rail twitter they're closed due to flying trampolines, bawbag Mk2 Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Now you'd never know there had been a storm. The wind has dropped away completely to 1.7mph, but the temp has fallen dramatically, currently 2.4c.

Posted

I can confirm we have a fence down in Stratbungo, Glasgow. Not mine but my brothers. Fence tip, if you live in the west of Scotland buy a fence that lets wind through it rather than one that acts like a sail. Thankfully we are at the east end of a north facing terrace so our very flimsy fence is intact.

Think I will put off cycling to work for a bit. I can check emails from home if the power stays on. Has a wee flicker of the lights 15 minutes ago.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Just been down to the local supermarket for the morning papers and can report their front door is off its hinges. Much more and it won't have a front door. Suppose it was to be expected as it's open to the NW. 

Lights still on and off at times and strong gusts quite regularly. Rain off for now

Posted

Bit breezy ootside eh!

All Trains across Scotland have been cancelled

Glasgow Central evacuated due to roof glass smashing

Forth and Tay closed

Clack and Kincardine restricted.

M74 closed (Overturned lorries)

Bellshill bypass closed (Overturned Lorry)

Severe flight delays at Glasgow

Ferries cancelled

Several 100mph + gusts recorded and yet still only on amber alert!!!Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

What a morning. It's chaos out there...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Police Scotland are now advising drivers to avoid travelling across the central belt, just heard via Twitter. Where's the red warning? No BBC coverage either unsurprisingly. Whole rail network shut until this afternoon as others have said.

"Transport Scotland has escalated its warning to Stage Four (Red Warning) which means "avoid travelling on the roads" in the south, west, central belt and into South Perthshire."  Posted Image

Edited by Mesosphere

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Thats transport scotland just updated its warning to red, dont travel. What! a bit late in the day now that rush hour is almost over and people have already committed! And the MET have not upped thier warnings to Red with over half a dozen +100mph gusts recorded, stations closed and the whole rail network closed, beggers belief!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Cheggers' dug with umbrella and weighted boots will be having quite a time of it in this. Waiting for him to upload the video. No schools on Black Isle - go back to bed is the message.

• Like 2

Posted

The big wheel on Princes St is rocking and there's some disturbing noises from it, as I stand underneath waiting on a bus...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Looked out at 7am this morning to heavy horizontal rain, which wasn't a surprise since the house was shaking at times. Story here so far....

- Lights flickering both at home and now at work.

- Trampoline from 2 doors downwind is now one door downwind. One tip, don't tell a 6yr old "If it stays windy it looks like you may get a new trampoline" as they believe you. Cue much explaining that no, if it does end up in our garden we'll need to give it back.

- Saw one big tree down just outside our estate, but fell into the woods rather than across the road. Other bits of broken branches around but I've seen worse to be honest.

- Lots of schools closed in rural Aberdeenshire closed due to lack of power in the villages.

- Whilst sitting traffic, watched one aircraft coming in for a landing at Aberdeen decide it wasn't a good idea and start climbing again before he got to the runway. Lost sight of him after that so don't know  if he went around for another go.

- Blustery showers now passing through and they are sleety. Was 3C in Kemnay at 8am, 4C in Dyce.

- At 9am, Dyce weather station recorded a mean wind speed of 31kn (35.6mph) and gust of 55kn (63.3mph). Sure it's still getting windier though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

OH commuted to Stirling and said there were trees down on the A9 northbound, but relatively ok getting there on the southbound. Got the girls to school (a medal should be on its way in the post for me!). And Im feeling very lucky as the large maple tree at the bottom of our garden (other side though) has split clean in half and luckily fell safely the other way. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

A68 just south of me is now closed due to a fallen tree.

Rush hour at fort SS as the traffic diverts.

• Like 2

Posted
tempestwatch

Thats transport scotland just updated its warning to red, dont travel. What! a bit late in the day now that rush hour is almost over and people have already committed! And the MET have not upped thier warnings to Red with over half a dozen +100mph gusts recorded, stations closed and the whole rail network closed, beggers belief!

No adult who has woken this morning to the stormy conditions should need Transport Scotland to advise them not to travel. Lets take responsibility for our own lives and not rely on any Local or Government body.

Posted

It also says on the network rail twitter they're closed due to flying trampolines, bawbag Mk2 Posted Image

I know it seems funny but in many countries people take simple precautions to avoid that sort of thing. (I got used to typhoon drill when I lived on the south Chinese coast!)

Certainly windy here but by the sound of things it's considerably worse up the road in Perth.

Has anyone seen any snow yet?

Edited by su rui ke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

So is that the worst passing now then? Or will the winds go on a while? Is the weather supposed to be dry but cold then later today? 

(answers on a postcard...)

Edited by over_the_rainbow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

I know it seems funny but in many countries people take simple precautions to avoid that sort of thing. (I got used to typhoon drill when I lived on the south Chinese coast!)

Certainly windy here but by the sound of things it's considerably worse up the road in Perth.

Has anyone seen any snow yet?

Has anyone got any snow yet?

Just had a wee flurry of the white stuff about 5 minutes ago. More to come later I think!