Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - 29/11/2013 ---->

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Well that's the weather station returned and the brief reports of dew points from luncarty will now cease....to be fair lidl took it back with no questions asked.....need to decide on way forward now...that £110 one looks good but I guess with Santa coming to 4 kids can't really justify spending too much...will do some surfing but essentially I just need a dew point reading that will go below zero

Well when Santa delivers mine on Xmas Day I'll just have to live without sub zero dew point readings. Disappointing in a way but for £40 it will still give me much more information than I currently have i.e. zero. I don't think I could justify spending more, not for now at least.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Well when Santa delivers mine on Xmas Day I'll just have to live without sub zero dew point readings. Disappointing in a way but for £40 it will still give me much more information than I currently have i.e. zero. I don't think I could justify spending more, not for now at least.

At least when it reads LL.L you will know the DP is sub-zero Ravelin.

• Like 2

Posted

Coastal flood alerts issued by SEPA now, which seems to cover most of the Scottish coastline (I get automatic text alerts as I don't live too far from the river Don). Concerns due to the high winds combined with high tides tomorrow afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

What about costco for a new weather station?? i'm sure they had them in store - although i can't see them in their online shop! typical. I'll have a look next time i'm in there:) Maybe be a few places have weather station in their Jan sales, like Dobbies etc ?  I hope Santa brings me one too:)

I hope Santa reads the forum then :)I was in Costco on Monday and didn't see any although was not looking at the time...my old folks are going through before Xmas so will get them to check
  • Like 1

Posted

Hi,

Clearly wind and rain aren't such a high priority for you just now - I'm assuming you want something with dew point reporting for snow prediction? If that is the case why not get something that does just what you are needing and think about upgrading to a more complete station in the future?

A quick scout about Amazon has uncovered these for you:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DB-Tech-Wireless-Outdoor-Digital-Weather/dp/B00796HQ4Q/ref=pd_cp_lp_1 ( £29.99 + free delivery)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ClimeMET-Digital-Wireless-Weather-Station/dp/B00D1WUKOK/ref=pd_cp_lp_2 ( £33.50 + free delivery)

A quick google around for the DB Tech station (£29.99) reveals it is likely a rebadged (or rather no badge) Ambient Weather station - for which you can peruse the manual here: http://site.ambientweatherstore.com/Manuals/ws1171.pdf

Hope I helped Posted Image

Great shout Andrew... You are correct and have just made me realise wind is not important to me at this time so this is exactly what I will do and then upgrade in next couple of years
  • Like 1

Posted

On the plus side the wind direction and speed were very accurate as were the rainfall readings and it was very easy to install....You are right HS very ungerman to go with the lazy LL.L but as you say at least you know it's below zero

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/content/reduced-services-5-dec-due-network-rail-speed-restrictions

40mph speed restriction applying to the trains tomorrow, reduced service as a result.

There's a list provided of routes not being served. Large parts of Scotland affected there it seems.

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard
  • Like 2

Posted

There's a fairly gusty wind here,  which is already making it feel much colder than the 4C air temperature would suggest. 

Posted

There's a fairly gusty wind here,  which is already making it feel much colder than the 4C air temperature would suggest.

I wouldn't expect the temperature to drop too much in the coming hours before it drops like a stone in the middle of the day tomorrow. I think the wind will be the big talking point overnight and tomorrow morning.I'm wondering if the rain could change to snow before clearing tomorrow. Any thoughts anyone?

Posted

Today started off at 1c with a wet snow shower and ground frost. Out for a Christmas shoot all day with bright sunshine and frost all day in the shade. Lots of fresh snow on the hills down to 1000feet. Currently getting very windy and dry at 3c.

• Like 2

Posted

On the m74 into Glasgow this morning . Passed a seven car pill up . then 2 miles down the motorway passed a 5 car pill up

So I've decided to give tomorrow a miss and stay at home , beers in fridge just about to be attacked

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

On the m74 into Glasgow this morning . Passed a seven car pill up . then 2 miles down the motorway passed a 5 car pill upSo I've decided to give tomorrow a miss and stay at home , beers in fridge just about to be attacked

Sensible Laddie! It is gettin' a wee bit breezier up here noo. Ach well, canny say we weren't warned, eh?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Was over Slochd early this morning in snow and ice (thanks Nokian for keeping me in the overtaking lane when the rest bottled it) (ok officer, only joking) then out on the hills above Kincraig. There was a thin covering of snow above about 300m, so pretty well most places, and the wind started to pick up in the afternoon too.  Pink slamon dawn and dusk today. Can hear it in the chimney now (the wind, you dope, not the elf) but looks like the wee hours will be fun. The big question is, will any schools close early?

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 6

Posted

On the m74 into Glasgow this morning . Passed a seven car pill up . then 2 miles down the motorway passed a 5 car pill up So I've decided to give tomorrow a miss and stay at home , beers in fridge just about to be attacked

was that junction 4ish? Very slow this morning but I saw no accidents apart from a wee 2 car bump. I've got to brave the road in the morning unless schools start getting shut, unlikely!

Posted

On the m74 into Glasgow this morning . Passed a seven car pill up . then 2 miles down the motorway passed a 5 car pill up

So I've decided to give tomorrow a miss and stay at home , beers in fridge just about to be attacked

On my way round with a bottle or 3.

Just been oot with dog, and is definitely the calm before the storm, not a puff of wind.

I see they have evacuated the rigs. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

Been breezy here today but nothing compared to whats coming! Gale 8 so far here today with blustery wintry showers. Currently 2.7C/Dew 1C.

• Like 2

Posted

was that junction 4ish? Very slow this morning but I saw no accidents apart from a wee 2 car bump. I've got to brave the road in the morning unless schools start getting shut, unlikely!

yip next to the smelly bit then a mile after Arnold Clark .7 cars then 5 cars thought I was on a go cart track this morning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Our local weather station in Elgol had a wee puff of 45mph just after 8pm. More to come in the wee small hours! Nighty night, sleep tight! Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Oh mistyqueen - Elgol is high on my list of "Places I Must See"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

The breeze that we had here has just disappeared. Very creepy. Calm before the storm.Posted Image Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Wind gust chart from the 18z run, SLP can be deceptive..

post-7292-0-71278700-1386194381_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-62223500-1386194382_thumb.pn

Also a dedicated thread here http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78664-severe-storm-system-arctic-blast-thursday-5th-onwards/?view=getnewpost

• Like 1

Posted

18z run. Seen worse looking charts TBH.

Posted Image

I think this run is quite interesting. Having read the comments on the model thread there is a lot folk writing off December for any significant cold. Things can change quickly and it sometimes only takes one run to pick up a new signal.

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

It's already pretty blawy here and the wind is roarin through the trees oot the back, so it's gettin noisyPosted Image

Feelin a bit chillier noo Posted Image

Big Innes 

Oh aye!

MT = Winters Over Posted Image

Sounds like a mathematical equation Posted Image

Edited by Big Innes Madori
  • Like 3

Posted

It's already pretty blawy here and the wind is roarin through the trees oot the back, so it's gettin noisyPosted Image

Feelin a bit chillier noo Posted Image

Big Innes 

Oh aye!

MT = Winters Over Posted Image

Sounds like a mathematical equation Posted Image

FAF.... I think the equation is trolls x attention seekers x people who dont understand models but pretend to x negative people x about 10 sane voices = visit the scottish thread instead

• Like 4