Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - 29/11/2013 ---->

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Just take it HC yer only here for a visit...what's the worst that could happen..... The forum needs mair dew points

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Quick question, how do i view the 1962/63 winter graphs? Cheers

With a wee dram and a wistful look about how the current charts are nothing like that Posted Image

Joking aside, BUS put this together a week or so ago - saves the bother of having to go to meteociel for the actual charts :

60+mph gusts on Thursday morning with rain turning to snow from the northwest:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Going to be an interesting one to watch and hopefully we can get some slight last minute upgrades to extend the cold that few hours longer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Just take it HC yer only here for a visit...what's the worst that could happen..... The forum needs mair dew points

It's the middle bit of your post that's the problem!!Posted Image You know what my dew points are anyway, I stay next to the flippin sea, like 50m from the MHWS...Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image or some combination thereof...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Thanking you LS and BUS , i need to get my eyes on these 62/63 charts, is it really too much to ask to have one only similar winter to 62/63!! We could be in serious trouble with these winds and possibly snow to lower levels , these hope nothing too serious. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

Already turned quite chilly up here. At 2am this morning it was 8.9C, currently it's 3.9C and falling.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning peeps! The Murk has descended once again. It's 9.9c and raining....and it's still sooooo dark! YUK! Never mind, Thursday and Friday look interesting eh? Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning all.  7.4c WSW and also very dark. Thursday currently looking a bit ominous? my least favourite weather, as wind can cause so much damage.  I guess the warnings will appear soon.

Where's Mondy?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Morning all.  7.4c WSW and also very dark. Thursday currently looking a bit ominous? my least favourite weather, as wind can cause so much damage.  I guess the warnings will appear soon.

Where's Mondy?

Hi Blitzen, where do you reckon the strongest gusts are going to be?

• Like 1

Posted

very dark this morning in Lochgelly to start with then brightened up somewhat as i got into Alloa, seems very mild this morning 7.5 on my car thermomeer. Do you think we may get some back edge snow as the front moves away later this week?

Posted

Hi Blitzen, where do you reckon the strongest gusts are going to be?

Morning T. I don't think anyone is going to get off lightly but probably north & west facing coasts will take a blast because of the initial wind direction? Central belt will probably take a hit too as it should whistle through the Forth/ Clyde valley. Perhaps LS will give us his thoughts if he's around?

Posted

very dark this morning in Lochgelly to start with then brightened up somewhat as i got into Alloa, seems very mild this morning 7.5 on my car thermomeer. Do you think we may get some back edge snow as the front moves away later this week?

I honestly wouldn't like to say. Northerlies are notorious for not producing snow  for this area because of the Grampians. However. with such a strong wind, we may get lucky. Uppers will certainly be conducive for a short while?  Looks as if there will be precipitation around:

post-1989-0-13268600-1386063603_thumb.pn

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Morning T. I don't think anyone is going to get off lightly but probably north & west facing coasts will take a blast because of the initial wind direction? Central belt will probably take a hit too as it should whistle through the Forth/ Clyde valley. Perhaps LS will give us his thoughts if he's around?

Those areas, with the addition of anyone on the east coast where the pressure gradient will be tightest, looks set to hear the brunt of the winds. I'd expect to see 100+mph gusts on Cairngorm and maybe 70-75mph elsewhere, with Glasgow, Dundee and Edinburgh all having gusts upwards of 50mph. Certainly could be a close call as to whether a sting jet develops (if so gusts could be comparable to the January 2012 storm) but I haven't had an in depth look at the charts yet today so I'll reserve judgement on that until later on.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

HC - Just take it. After 2 yrs of sitting in a box, can you not come up with a justification for using it that somehow also ties in with work (even if it's just a slim link with work)?

Could almost use the overused word 'mild' this morning as it was 9-10C on my drive into work. Dry with mainly grey cloud and just the odd patch of blue sky showing in the distance. Light winds.

Not ventured into the model thread so far today, has their easterly disappeared yet? Posted Image

Posted

The east coast looks pretty bad too, parts of the North East, Dundee, Fife. Spring tides too in the next couple of days. This storm could be a firecracker Posted Image

Ah well, at least next door will not inherit my patio furniture this time around as it is safely packed away!Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Well with the possibilty of gale force winds and spring tides, i might get myself to kircaldy and get some photo's of the sea crashing over the wall ( or me being blown away)! This certainly is more exciting than the last 2 weeks but I kinda got used to having 'useable' days!

Edited by tempestwatch
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Cripes we're a lawless lot in here! Posted Image

Was just mild & grey at 8, now hammering down & cold.  Just had a hard look Posted ImagePosted Image at the forecast for thursday - very cold Posted Image , very windy and likely very snowy (Posted Image but don't tell the client) where I'm supposed to be working.  <starts rummaging for blankets, extra flask, shovel, longjohns (clean)...>

• Like 2

Posted

Cripes we're a lawless lot in here! Posted Image

Was just mild & grey at 8, now hammering down & cold.  Just had a hard look Posted ImagePosted Image at the forecast for thursday - very cold Posted Image , very windy and likely very snowy (Posted Image but don't tell the client) where I'm supposed to be working.  <starts rummaging for blankets, extra flask, shovel, longjohns (clean)...>

The ole passion killers and string vests will be outed all over scotland by Friday i think :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

Chilly day! Curently: Temp 3.1C (falling) dew -0.4C. Thurs/Friday look pretty grim up here with Severe Gale 9 north-westerlies and heavy snow showers. :)

• Like 1

Posted

Chilly day! Curently: Temp 3.1C (falling) dew -0.4C. Thurs/Friday look pretty grim up here with Severe Gale 9 north-westerlies and heavy snow showers. Posted Image

Would not like to be on the water in those conditions!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Chilly day! Curently: Temp 3.1C (falling) dew -0.4C. Thurs/Friday look pretty grim up here with Severe Gale 9 north-westerlies and heavy snow showers. Posted Image

Only in here could a forecast like that be ended with a happy smiley.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Thursday morning rush hour through the Central Belt could be dreadful

• Like 1

Posted

Thursday morning rush hour through the Central Belt could be dreadful

TV forecasts are also starting to hint at something serious for Thursday but they're not giving any details just yet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

The Westerly gales Thurs am funneling through the central belt is what could cause the most disruption, 

Strength wise areas like West Isles earlier, then N.Isles and NE Scotland later into Thursday night with snow = blizzard

Could be something extra as it all comes through

Met. O are considering Amber warning now and Scotland rarely gets more than that, the Amber will only be to cover the population density of central belt, maybe Aberdeen

• Like 4