Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - 29/11/2013 ---->

Nick L

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Polmont Dec Ave = 8·1c! So far.Last year 4·1c .So at the moment it has doubled.And Dec 2012 was not a particularly snowy or frosty month.Notable lack of any frost or car scraping.Even the cool down tomorrow to 7c is still 3c above the average.It's the worst December I can remember.Think we might get something in Jan though as the pattern will break down. We have had one dusting of snow this winter.I remember we always got our first snow in November in years gone by.I think winter starts Mid Nov up here regardless of what the met office say.They just like having an equal quarter for every season.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Again when do Fife witness Thunder during the winter. Hardly ever!!! Surprised the showers have pushed so Far East..

I slept through it. Xmas party goers in Dunfermline were hit by thunder, lightning and hailstones around 12am today. Kirkcaldy had a storm around 12.30am, it lasted 10-15 minutes. My sister heard loud thunder here at 1.10pm.

The last time I can remember a thunderstorm in December in Fife was in 1990. Either 27th or 28th, it rattled through the Clyde-Forth valley around 6pm. A big flash overhead knocked the power out and there was heavy hailstones. A couple of hours later it was snowing and lying.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Nothing as exciting as thunder and hail up this way, but a temp of 4C when I was out at 10am this morning is the lowest I've seen for a while. Other than that, nothing else noteworthy as iit's a kind of benign day Weather wise here so far. 

Posted

Very windy here cold frame glass flying out and lots of branches off trees, currently 7c and starting to rain. Cattle all fed and bedded on fresh straw look very cosy

See it may get cool enough in the next few days for some wintriness at low level. A bit of a prediction here, very cold westerly winds often produce snow here as they travel over a bit of land and are not subject to the warming influence of the sea in early winter.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Got time to watch this programme today. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03l5lvh/One_Wild_Winter_in_the_Scottish_Mountains/

Brilliant and very poignant, really worth watching if you missed it earlier in the week.

Good to see Scotster in there too along with some great footage of the highlands.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Watched that programme on iPlayer the other night and it was very good. Personally there's times when I was younger if I look back on now there's walks I did on the mountains in winter that were rather "dubious" and I'd not do now. I was more often than not out on my own too. 

Getting a bit windier here now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

3pm and its dark outside and very heavy rain again!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Got time to watch this programme today. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03l5lvh/One_Wild_Winter_in_the_Scottish_Mountains/

Brilliant and very poignant, really worth watching if you missed it earlier in the week.

Good to see Scotster in there too along with some great footage of the highlands.

Here's the video blog it was taken from if anyone's interested:

It was pretty much one year ago.....and you can see just how different December 2012 was to the December we're currently experiencing.

In other news it's gone insane outside with a sudden squall.  Utterly utterly filthy afternoon Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Was at Carrubbers Church in Edinburgh this morning and it was very stormy going back to the car in Buccleuch Place at 13.30 having been calm walking to The Royal Mile at 11.00. Double decker buses barred from Forth Road Bridge with a 4omph speed limit.

Just over 3mm of rain in a few minutes at 15.10 (45.72mm/hr at 15.12) and the temperature nose-dived in minutes at exactly the same time from 9.3C to 6.9C.

• Like 2

Posted

It wasn't as windy today but it did get quite lively with what seemed like a squall line about 3pm. I could see it coming from the west and within a few seconds my Sky signal went and I wasn't watching the Man Utd game for a couple of minutes.

Looking forward to some interesting cycles to and from work this week with the way things are shaping up. I was out shoring things up in the garden and noticed my Alpine Strawberries were actually starting to flower due to the recent mild conditions.

Second installment for the alternative Xmas songs. This is one for those born in the 70's/80's.

Enjoy!Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

What a horrible week and weekend, was on travels last week, Scarborough, Milton , Nottingham, and it was wet from start to finish for the most part, and the weekend was one for staying in bed, with a few whisky's.

Last nights thunder was a surprise, I thought a lorry had crashed through ma door, but I never saw the lightening, but got this from FB.

Posted Image1499657_595026390547187_18937679_n.jpg

Amazing pic Cheggers - great find.

Whilst GFS wants to take us back to the euro high solution, tonight the ECM serves up this..

post-7292-0-64576300-1387141189_thumb.gipost-7292-0-44255500-1387141191_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-70674000-1387141193_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-50287400-1387141188_thumb.pn

913mb.. Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

I've checked my records, the thunderstorm was on the 28th December 1990.

Posted

Last nights thunder was a surprise, I thought a lorry had crashed through ma door, but I never saw the lightening, but got this from FB.

Posted Image1499657_595026390547187_18937679_n.jpg

Gets even better..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152076646209116&set=o.208916149189375&type=2&theater

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Looks like I've got the wrong week to be doing fieldwork on Cairngorm Posted Image . Could be fun all the same  Posted ImagePosted Image

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/dec/15/milton-keynes-winter-wonderland-complaints

Classic 541t from middle England; wtf do people expect in the middle of a mild December, with hordes of unemployed pseudo-elves prowling the suburbs?

More positively, just watched Scotster's video diary of his recent walk up the mountain-with-the-unpronouncable-name - thoroughly enjoyed that, I really liked the tone of the piece, nicely understated without the drama.  5*.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Waw!!! Merry Xmas for weather lovers if this comes off. ECM is serving up a major storm on Xmas Day followed by blustery snow showers on Boxing Day. I'll settle for that Posted Image....

.....Edit: If you look at that chart from the ECM at the top, it looks like a cow or a dog in the middle of the trough (yes, I've been looking at charts too long), so the Xmas Day storm is going to be called Daisy or Fido, whichever people prefer Posted Image

Stonking charts, CMD! Scary, too...

How about Ermintrude? ;-)>

post-6412-0-88853600-1387180845_thumb.jp

• Like 5

Posted

Waw!!! Merry Xmas for weather lovers if this comes off. ECM is serving up a major storm on Xmas Day followed by blustery snow showers on Boxing Day. I'll settle for that Posted Image

Posted Image16th Dec ECM +216hrs.gif

GFS goes for the storm too but never really feeds in the colder air as much as the ECM, due to the low being further north on the GFS.

Posted Image16th Dec GFS 00z +228hrs.png

As Lorenzo said last night, there are some wild charts about. If this doesn't float your weather boat then I suggest you find a different hobby. Epic charts considering what we were facing a short while ago Posted Image

Edit: If you look at that chart from the ECM at the top, it looks like a cow or a dog in the middle of the trough (yes, I've been looking at charts too long), so the Xmas Day storm is going to be called Daisy or Fido, whichever people prefer Posted Image

Sounds like you had a "ruff "night model watching CMD (I'll get my coat)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning. Certainly looks as if it is going to be a wild Christmas. Actually, this Thursday isn't looking too clever either!

post-1989-0-42605600-1387183281_thumb.pn

post-1989-0-62091500-1387183385_thumb.pn

post-1989-0-14265300-1387183477_thumb.pn

post-1989-0-56657200-1387183736_thumb.pn

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! Can't believe how calm it is this morning. Cold though, currently 2.6c. Thursday looks interesting, and as for Christmas day........Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image, well that's just mad looking! 

• Like 1