Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - 29/11/2013 ---->

Nick L

Posted

Well??Don't jsut leave us all in suspense - how did your neeps do???? 

Hi  BleakMidWinter

Won"t know until about the begining of February in time for the Spring Show at the end of February at Thainstone

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

It has been horridly dark here all day! And a lot of rain! The only positive from today is it hasn't been cold, but so horrible you wouldn't want to be outside anyways! Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

It has been horridly dark here all day! And a lot of rain! The only positive from today is it hasn't been cold, but so horrible you wouldn't want to be outside anyways! Posted Image

In complete contrast it's been bright, sunny and dry here all day. Being in the rain shadow of the Cairngorms has it's benefits at times.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Reading this BBC piece about the decline in corncrakes this year, I remembered what northernlights posted months back - about the grass show being cancelled because therer couldn't be enough growth for the machines to display cutting (I think - from memory, forgive me if I'm wrong!) and how grass needs it to be 6C+ overnight to keep growing and so on...

"the cold spring had halted the growth of tall grasses which were essential to the species' habitat and for breeding."

See how much you learn on the Kilted threads??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-25354126

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Maximum of 11.1C and 8.6mm of rain OTR. Talk about "the dark days before Christmas" that my dear Gran used to talk about!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

post-10976-0-82370200-1386876424_thumb.j

Had a soggy but delightful stroll from Glendevon to Castle Campbell and back today.  It might be winter but it felt like summer and looked like autumn.  Stunning colours but it was insanely mild with plenty of flying insects about.  Eurgh!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

While we sweat Jerusalem, Israel is snowbound!

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4464445,00.html

http://www.israeltoday.co.il/NewsItem/tabid/178/nid/24302/Default.aspx?hp=article_title

EDiT: Jeremy Bowen on BBC 10 o'clock news showing massive suffering in Syrian refugee camps.

Edited by Highland Snow

Posted

Heavy snowfall and severe windchill for central North American continent this weekend:

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Has/Did anyone see the headlines in the Express ? (apologies if posted before)..

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/448115/Christmas-weather-forecast-Winter-storms-warning-as-snow-gales-and-floods-threaten-UK

The Apocalypse is coming.

© Express Journalist 2010 2011 2012  2013

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Morning all, I think today will be the last "boring" day of weather for the foreseeable, with storms incoming for Sat / Sun and then more seasonal weather to follow. A return to frosts between the Atlantic systems and hill snow to aid the skiing industry. December is back! 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Aye, and by the looks of things it could be back with something of a bang. We've got to get something out of this set-up, either wild storms or snow at some point.

My thoughts entirely Catch. Been watching for a week+ now and if nothing else, there has certainly been and continues to be consistency re the jet moving south and Scotland in the path of incoming low pressures which, if the temps play ball, should see us turning more wintery.  Can't come soon enough for me as all this mildness has been driving me crazy!

• Like 2

Posted

More snow reports from Jerusalem, Israel.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4464877,00.html

• Like 1

Posted

Yet again the 06z continues with the wintery theme: 

Now I am quite happy with these charts considering what was projected a couple of weeks ago?

post-1989-0-41549800-1386931921_thumb.pn

post-1989-0-69988800-1386931982_thumb.pn

post-1989-0-50628400-1386932143_thumb.pn

post-1989-0-51625900-1386932208_thumb.pn

post-1989-0-62823700-1386932275_thumb.pn

post-1989-0-45054100-1386932386_thumb.pn

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Gawd, even Fergieweather is banging nails in noo!

This from him in the MT.

"The EC32 pattern retains a westerly flow even by 2nd week Jan, albeit waning. However, the 500mb pattern remains effectively zonal even by then; a fair assumption is that it'll take some major shifting to alter a pattern that resembles much of what we saw in winters pre-07/8"

Fkn 14Deg C reading in the car this morning while drivin tae wurk!!!

Pure mental eh.

Taps aff anyone?

Big Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori
  • Like 3

Posted

Be nice to bed the cattle in cooler weather instead of in shirtsleeves as on the last few days, Currently breezy and 12.5c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Be nice to bed the cattle in cooler weather instead of in shirtsleeves as on the last few days, Currently breezy and 12.5c

I'll give you 12.5C, but flat calm here.  It was odd yesterday too, was woken early morning by a gale howling up the strath yet it was calm again by mid afternoon - with that crappy drizzle called Scotch mist that I used to think was a Scot being homesick...

I looked again at the colours of the sunset and sunrise from earlier in the week and reckon they weren't that far from reality. The sky is a wonderful thing.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Afternoon all! It was 14.5c when I drove to college this morning with, as always, a rather stiff breeze!  Gauny be a lot worse tomorrow and Sunday by the look of things. Get thae hatches battened doon!

Posted

Gawd, even Fergieweather is banging nails in noo!This from him in the MT."The EC32 pattern retains a westerly flow even by 2nd week Jan, albeit waning. However, the 500mb pattern remains effectively zonal even by then; a fair assumption is that it'll take some major shifting to alter a pattern that resembles much of what we saw in winters pre-07/8Big Innes

Nowt wrong with zonal if temps play ball. EC32 outlook cannot be taken as gospel either! 

Posted

Evening all,

Some very mild readings across Scotland today: http://www.met.rdg.ac.uk/~brugge/pmextremes.html

13.8c Edinburgh

14.2c Lossiemouth

14.4c Altnaharra

15c Kinloss

Some stations now running more than 4c above average this month (Altnaharra +4.8c), though looking at the output that anomaly should begin to slowly decline. http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~brugge/CURR.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Oh my, those charts look a wee bit scarifying! However, today Winter has returned, at least temp wise. We are now down to 5.8c and falling. It seems like weeks since we had temps this low. Anyhoo, awaiting next hurricane with bated breath!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Oh dear those charts do look rather scary, not very keen on this strength of wind!

Hoping that all this results in the much needed draw of colder air and changes happening.

Oh my, those charts look a wee bit scarifying! However, today Winter has returned, at least temp wise. We are now down to 5.8c and falling. It seems like weeks since we had temps this low. Anyhoo, awaiting next hurricane with bated breath!

Edited by snowy owl
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

18z GFS is really firing up on all cylinders, couple of charts from the model thread here..

post-7292-0-05075400-1386977454_thumb.pn
post-7292-0-27463600-1386977459_thumb.pn

Mid Week looks like things are getting kind of sporty..
post-7292-0-84844200-1386977521_thumb.pn
post-7292-0-01672100-1386978160_thumb.pn

Evening Met Office Fax for tomorrow shows the system having bombed. This is currently 18 hrs away. a 40 mb drop awaits...
post-7292-0-58083100-1386980045_thumb.gi post-7292-0-53695700-1386980063_thumb.gi

Incoming on the brilliant yrno sat run.
post-7292-0-65402700-1386980081_thumb.jp

Pub Run serves a Vortex Xmas, and it has been something of a trend this week, GFS in mid-long range has been like a dog with a bone going for a cold incursion over Xmas. Control run has been on NCEP Xmas Night out and had a few sherries..
post-7292-0-23059700-1386979316_thumb.pn

• Like 3