Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - 29/11/2013 ---->

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

One for the road...

Sinai & Sphinx

post-7292-0-29410300-1386981469_thumb.jppost-7292-0-00510600-1386981470_thumb.jp

Caption Competition.. What do you reckon this camel is thinking....??

post-7292-0-42707800-1386981474_thumb.pn

• Like 8

Posted

http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~brugge/CURR.html

Mean temperatures have been up to 4.8c above average (in Altnaharra) for the month so far. This is almost as warm as December 2010 was cold. At 8.8c, West Freugh in Galloway and Aultbea in Wester Ross looks to be one of warmest places on the island of Great Britain, warmer than even the far south-west of England.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Baltic and blowing like mad here this morning - I left the windows open last night and woke up feeling like Scott of the Antarctic...wind keening and howling through the hoose, only thing missing was the snow!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Local weather station day 14.December average 8.1c.2012 Dec Ave 4.1c.Incredibly mild so far.

Posted

Certainly feels cooler at 6c this morning. The sun was shining half an hour ago but it's clouded over and it's all downhill from here. Stormy day to come.

The models continue to point to a cooler zonality, which will please the skiers - also looks like a steady diet of periodic gales for at least the next 10 days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Mornin' Guys! Blawin' a hoolie up here...again! Looks like it'll be like this until 2015. What I wouldn't give for some frost and some clear blue skies....but that ain't gauny happen any time soon. Haven't seen any ferries today ( surprise! ) and I doubt I'll see one today or tomorrow. Stay safe all. I'm for cooryin' don by a big fire today and will only venture out to get coal and wood.

• Like 4

Posted

Local weather station day 14.December average 8.1c.2012 Dec Ave 4.1c.Incredibly mild so far.

Check out the Kinloss readings this week: 5 consecutive days with maxima above 12c, culminating in a high of 15c yesterday. Would be respectable in May!

http://goo.gl/YA5JvC 

• Like 2

Posted

Another big low for mid week, certainly cooled down back from unseasonably mild to seasonal overnight. 

post-7292-0-44281900-1387015269_thumb.gi

Different interpretations of the low from the models at 00z, GEM for once rather calm looking.

ECM / UKMO / GEM

post-7292-0-15018900-1387015799_thumb.gipost-7292-0-22450800-1387015801_thumb.gipost-7292-0-13771400-1387015800_thumb.pn

GFS 06Z

post-7292-0-86663200-1387015844_thumb.pn

Christmas eve still going for the uber low on GFS this time held back in the Atlantic.

post-7292-0-42148200-1387015928_thumb.pn

Control run maintains Braer status.

post-7292-0-65678500-1387015984_thumb.pn

Great to have some explosive output to follow in the run up to Christmas Day, the GEFS ensemble is simply loaded with storms for the 25th. These 2 examples on the more extreme end of things.

post-7292-0-45597400-1387016162_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-10293800-1387016163_thumb.pn

Even whilst at 240 hrs, the consistency is there with the trend established, that is 60 hours now of similar output. Lively model watching. Aonach Mor leading the gusts today at 89mph, at altitude. Tiree 68mph at 12m. 

Trampolines for Christmas....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Posted ImageBbYpg7ACIAE6xWy.png

Bloody netweather voyeurs... have I got the hump this morning...? Too fkn right...

Also looks like some parts around the North Sea will get uprooted and relocated to the Baltic around Xmas - hope Santa can keep up with the changes in post codes!

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 3

Posted

Told everyone at work it would snow on the 23RD.They have written it on a post it note.I hope I am correct.lol

• Like 1

Posted

Told everyone at work it would snow on the 23RD.They have written it on a post it note.I hope I am correct.lol

It's a trend to colder but impossible to nail due to the paths of the lows, when they initiate, how fast they travel across the country, the direction of travel, how much cold air is dragged into the low.

FWIW couple of charts from Net Wx Extra GFS. 23rd looking like another windy day.

post-7292-0-06483000-1387019610_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-51362500-1387019609_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Really starting to notice how windy it is, feels so much colder than of late.

Sky is darkening to the west, sign of things to come.

Interesting how all these lows are spawning off the vortex, looking like lots to keep a close eye on in the busy run up to christmas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

One for the road...

Sinai & Sphinx

Posted ImageBbWtFjeCIAELUco.jpgPosted ImageBbX5tdiCIAAY5_e.jpg

Posted ImageBbYpg7ACIAE6xWy.png

If only the Express had a newspaper out that way!!?post-18260-0-91629100-1387021918_thumb.j
  • Like 4

Posted

Interesting to see how much rainfall eastern areas get in the coming week. We've only had 39mm since the start of November which is not a lot, even for this normally dry neck of the woods.

• Like 1

Posted

really picking up here now ,hasn't stopped raining as well ,

74.3 mph in the last hour and it's getting rougher 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

post-1989-0-51059900-1387023492_thumb.pn   WTF !!

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 3

Posted

O hells bells my skylight has blown out and the HA emergency number isnt answering, heavy rain due and I'm panicking, I don't know what to do.

Posted

O hells bells my skylight has blown out and the HA emergency number isnt answering, heavy rain due and I'm panicking, I don't know what to do.

Fire Brigade?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Mornin' Guys! Blawin' a hoolie up here...again! Looks like it'll be like this until 2015. What I wouldn't give for some frost and some clear blue skies....but that ain't gauny happen any time soon. Haven't seen any ferries today ( surprise! ) and I doubt I'll see one today or tomorrow. Stay safe all. I'm for cooryin' don by a big fire today and will only venture out to get coal and wood.

You've got some mad slang for a Sgitheanach! Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

You've got some mad slang for a Sgitheanach! Posted Image

NR, I cannot claim to be a true Sgitheanach...only an incomer! We've already had one power cut up here, for about 30 mins just before 11am. It does seem to have calmed down a little ( famous last words! ). More to come tomorrow, and the next day and and the next day.......and if those charts turn out to be correct at Christmas.....Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted

I just need a fit man (don't we all!) who can get up in the loft and somehow cover that skylight. This village is full of OAPs single wimmen and men over 80. My hubby has had 3 heart attacks and gets bad dizzy spells and I can't risk him going up there. Shocking that the HA is not answering the emergency number. Keeping on trying that one and my son.

• Like 2

Posted

Interesting to see how much rainfall eastern areas get in the coming week. We've only had 39mm since the start of November which is not a lot, even for this normally dry neck of the woods.

Very dry  here too ploughing dusty on the surface after gale force southerly wind all day so far. 4c early am but currently 10.3c.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted

I just need a fit man (don't we all!) who can get up in the loft and somehow cover that skylight. This village is full of OAPs single wimmen and men over 80. My hubby has had 3 heart attacks and gets bad dizzy spells and I can't risk him going up there. Shocking that the HA is not answering the emergency number. Keeping on trying that one and my son.

Hope you get some help. Our local FB are very good at responding to storm damage and making things safe. They fixed a tarpaulin over next door's when it happened to them.

• Like 2