Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 17th Dec.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Three or four 'colder' looking GFS runs might have started to give the impression that fortunes in the current battle may be changing, but looking at the big picture prospects for the overall war remain very similar.  

That said of course Shed, the more immediate timeframe, say the next ten days or so provides a few glimmers of hope to us coldies, aside from those wishing for snowmaggedon and entrenched cold a la some recent Winter spells who will obviously be disappointed in that regard. Moving further into FI, why shouldn't the 14 day plus period continue a similar theme? Again I guess it's open to one's own viewpoint of things, but I'd say we're all guessing if the truth be known. Anyway, Christmas week is getting ever nearer and I eagerly await the latest signal from the afternoon suites. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 6

Posted

That said of course Shed, the more immediate timeframe, say the next ten days or so provides a few glimmers of hope to us coldies, aside from those wishing for snowmaggedon and entrenched cold a la some recent Winter spells who will obviously be disappointed in that regard. Moving further into FI, why shouldn't the 14 day plus period continue a similar theme? Again I guess it's open to one's own viewpoint of things, but I'd say we're all guessing if the truth be known. Anyway, Christmas week is getting ever nearer and I eagerly await the latest signal from the afternoon suites. Posted Image

Agree gtltw, I think it's worth pointing out that given the overall pattern things could be a whole lot worse for cold prospects, in fact what we're currently seeing is pretty much a Cordon Blur meal produced from ASDA Basics ingredients. However, there is no escaping the fact we're looking far more ASDA than Fortnum & Mason across the remainder of December, yes we might get the odd caviered cracker or perhaps a sip of Bolly, but in general the Pot Noodle and Wotsits diet goes on.

Edited by shedhead
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Next week into the Christmas period looks really stormy on the 12z GFS

Will the GFS go on to develop that low for later on Christmas Eve?

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Wish the wind would swing to a more nw direction just for Christmas . Could give some people a white christmas

• Like 1

Posted

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2013121912/gfsnh-0-150.png?12

12z GFS perhaps heading for the 00z solution once again

Which of course would be more receptive - especially for the North & NW

S

Yep looks that way Steve. Seems to be a bit of a signal at present. Troughing sinking further S into France than the 6z had it.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

It's looking much better in the Alps around Xmas, they will be praying for some good snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

You can clearly see energy digging SE into Europe with pressure here dropping considerably

Posted Image

Yes that's actually looking a good chart, high pressure towards Russia , deep low pressure toward Italy , southerly tracking jet , this could get interesting.
  • Like 4

Posted

Northerly lining up at T216, this looks like a much better run for coldies, and it's not even the pub run

• Like 1

Posted

Another upgrade from the models with regards to the jet digging further and further south and east. I've been saying the same for the last few days that next week will see far more favourable conditions for wintry weather from the Midlands northwards. Regardless of the mighty PV we are now seeing tentative signs of a pattern change with heights over the Arctic making more of an impact than first anticipated IMO. Lots too look forward to in the coming days with storms, sleet and snow, the latter becoming more prominent has we move through the Xmas period.

Edited by Sceptical Inquirer
  • Like 9

A perfect chart for VERY cold surface air over any snow covered areas in Scotland- ( if we can get this area detached from the jet)

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2013121912/gfs-0-186.png?12

&

http://modeles2.meteociel.fr/modeles_gfs/runs/2013121912/180-778UK.GIF?19-12  Approaching -15c  would be a good bet.......

Also 12z GFS

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2013121912/gfsnh-10-372.png?12 a spot of -16 over RUSSIA !! Same as last winter!!!!

S

• Like 8

Posted

We've had to wait a while but we might have a happy forum after that run, now we just need some better ens and a positive EC32 update and we're happy...

For tonight anyway.

• Like 2

Posted

Finally some eye candy for coldies in deepest FI.

A split vortex, some WAA into the GIN corridor and some troughing into Europe.

Edited by Shrimper
  • Like 1

Posted

What a beautiful set of charts this evening. Popped out of nowhere really.well at least we have the ecm to bring us back down to reality!!its been doing that over the past few days.

• Like 1

Posted

This chart suggests only a temporary slackening in mid January before it hints at it strengthening again in the distant future.

ENS still strongly average / mild and zonal for most

Posted Image

The odd rogue run as pure fantasy - one that Frosty will like. Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I wonder if there will be a few more of these showing in the 12z suite??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Another upgrade from the models with regards to the jet digging further and further south and east. I've been saying the same for the last few days that next week will see far more favourable conditions for wintry weather from the Midlands northwards.

Posted Image Yes SI, if you could please tell the remaining NWP outputs up until the big day to continue to listen to gottolovethisweather's recent assessments and push the snow-fuelled joy further South in time then we'd all be happy. Posted Image

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78787-model-output-discussion-17th-dec2013-12z-onwards/?p=2864910

Paying particular attention to my comments from the latter part of the above post, perhaps the various outputs are onto something for the final few days of 2013. Whilst we may not be drinking Moet & Chandon with sausage-shaped SM pies, whether it's ASDA or LIDL I'm shopping with, it could be a very Merry Christmas for us coldies after all. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 9