Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 17th Dec.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2013122512/EDH101-168.GIF?25-0

Day 7 Ensemble MEAN strong correlation with the ECM operational -

Also a good strong declining curve to day 15.

Expect a colder ECM DET 32 on the next update.

A while to wait- but our best chance of cold so far this winter......

S

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is a strong declining curve in meteorological terms? And isn't day 15 getting into fairy land territory?

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted

Don't buy the post 192 evolution. As soon as it hits the low res part of the run everything speeds up and the jet blasts through. ignore post 192 IMHO as whatever follows will be complete rubbish.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Don't buy the post 192 evolution. As soon as it hits the low res part of the run everything speeds up and the jet blasts through. ignore post 192 IMHO as whatever follows will be complete rubbish.

I don't want to ignore FI though......it's showing the building blocks to the mother of all easterlys

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

I don't want to ignore FI though......it's showing the building blocks to the mother of all easterlys

Posted Image

Doesn't make it right though ;-)

Tbh I think that may be where it would have headed anyway even if the resolution had not dropped at the crucial moment in the run.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Oh and here she comes....get to this point and the cold is locked in & my Jan forecast of 2-3C below average becomes a distinct possibility ;)

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

If you reckon this is square one..http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/ecmimages/20131225/12/npsh500.240.pngthen is suggest you learn how to read weather charts.

To be fair he appears to be a newbie, however the poster who liked his post has been on here for a while now and doesn't have that excuse.That chart is the best set up we have had this winter.
  • Like 3

Posted

Anyone who finds fault with tonight's 18z frankly needs their head examining. It may well not verify but what an outrageous run from the GFS to finish off Xmas day! Hardly unexpected either.

• Like 8

Posted

trends people, trend. take detail with a pinch of salt, but very nice to see a new trend developing on Christmas day - lets hope it continues. Night all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I'll lay my cards on the table....bar December 2010, January 2014 will be the most severe winter month we've seen during the Netweather era.

Blimey that's a bold statement CC

Posted

Blimey that's a bold statement CC

A bold statement but I know where CC is coming from. I think there will be severe cold ahead in January for certain Mid-Latitude areas in the Northern Hemisphere. Fingers crossed the UK will be included!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I'll lay my cards on the table....bar December 2010, January 2014 will be the most severe winter month we've seen during the Netweather era.

Audacious, lets hope it bears fruit very soon. Though I would like to be able to get to work Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Good stuff Posted Image

I'm going for an easterly, but I think it will be mid month and of the standard winter variety rather than severe.

Goes without saying that I hope you are right rather than me!!

Posted

Have earlier runs this week hinted at something different? or is this simply a matter of less data input during the Christmas period?

Not sure whether less data is fact or fiction it’s been mooted before and I can’t remember what the conclusion was, however, one thing is for certain and that is that Christmas day/Boxing day has turned up some odd outputs before, although not last year, it would be great if this is a real trend but I’d stay on the fence for a couple of days before getting more confident.

Posted

Fantastic set of Ens coming out, best of the winter so far I'm sure..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Not sure whether less data is fact or fiction it’s been mooted before and I can’t remember what the conclusion was, however, one thing is for certain and that is that Christmas day/Boxing day has turned up some odd outputs before, although not last year, it would be great if this is a real trend but I’d stay on the fence for a couple of days before getting more confident.

Not trying to blow my own trumpet or anything but I was talking about this trend just after mid month along with one or two others so it has been in the output for quite a while as at least a weak signal.

What we are seeing is a gradual firming up of the signal and the possible benefits from any blocking being modelled.

We are not there yet though and still a way to go before we start to see decent snow chances to low levels - I still fancy Northern England will see a good snowfall in the first half of Jan and the South could see some transient snow too but any deep cold, should we get it, will likely come toward and after mid month if blocking establishes itself.

GFS ensembles 18z SE England

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&x=288&y=122

ECM 12z London ensembles

Posted Image

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 3