Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 17th Dec.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Yep, anything below the average in January should give us hope.

Yes that is true take Winter 08-09 which seen temps slightly below average and widespread snows.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Nothing of note on the 12zs yet folks??

bit early yet for the timeframe people are concentrating on although GFS 12z shows better heights to our N at 144 between Iceland and greenland and a stronger arctic high.  Just catching up on GEFS, ECM ENS, somewhere around our latitude could get a very decent cold spell going into mid jan but whether that includes our little island, who knows. Some stunning GEFS 6z members and EC Ens consistent with the trough over Euro

Edited by bradythemole
  • Like 2

Posted

bit early yet for the timeframe people are concentrating on although GFS 12z shows better heights to our N at 144 between Iceland and greenland and a stronger arctic high.  Just checking GEFS, ECM ENS, somewhere around our latitude could get a very decent cold spell going into mid jan whether that includes our little island, who knows. Some stunning GEFS 6z members.

yup just took a look and the 22z is better low low pressure going further south and pressure stronger and higher across greenland!!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

Eyes down for the 12 zeds- expecting the trend for cold weather to accelerate over the next 24 hours.

...............sooner or later you gotta be right this winter Steve,,,,,,,,,,,,,let's hope it is sooner! :)  

ps

Temp not risen above 4C........perfect for a lovely walk this afternoon! So to me, that is cold already! :)

Eyes down for the 12 zeds- expecting the trend for cold weather to accelerate over the next 24 hours.

S

...............sooner or later you gotta be right this winter Steve,,,,,,,,,,,,,let's hope it is sooner! Posted Image

ps

Temp not risen above 4C........perfect for a lovely walk this afternoon! So to me, that is cold already! Posted Image

How can 50/50 be wrong ..... Posted Image

Also sooner or later- Winter is only 3 weeks old -

Edited by Steve Murr
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Poor GFS op in FI if that sort of thing worries you but an interesting UKMO in the more reliable.

Posted Image

Posted

Few would probably argue it was one of my most constructive AJ.... Posted Image Well here we are post Xmas and entering the last knockings of Dec and there is still no sign of a colder pattern emerging, with max temps remaining near or a little above average for the bulk of the UK well into January. Given the generally unsettled pattern widespread overnight frosts will also remain conspicuous by their absence, ensuring mean temps probably end up on the mild side if anything, with any 'promising' charts like this remaining deep in FI....pretty much where they have been since Dec 1st.Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by shedhead
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Forget the GFS op, poor for wintriness. Though it does maintain the Arctic High, and thats a positive. The Control is what BA, Mucka & others have been suggesting:

post-14819-0-07015000-1388080004_thumb.p

Good support at the same time from the ensembles:

post-14819-0-05890800-1388080190_thumb.p post-14819-0-65196500-1388080200_thumb.p post-14819-0-52909900-1388080210_thumb.p

post-14819-0-03112900-1388080219_thumb.p post-14819-0-85093300-1388080240_thumb.p  post-14819-0-44078300-1388080253_thumb.p

post-14819-0-01463000-1388080267_thumb.ppost-14819-0-32611600-1388080277_thumb.p post-14819-0-64182500-1388080293_thumb.p

So after a wobble from the GFS, a surface and upper trough back ahead of the pack for FI.Posted Image

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 5

Posted

ECM 168 not sure if cold at the surface I think so with the scandi high and us in a south Easterly drift, vortex looks poised to flattern things out though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

GGod ecmwf at t120!!heights building to our east north east!!

Well looking at the t168 chart all I can say is all hale Corinthian.

I'm not sure what models he's using in Austria but he seems to be onto

something Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Well looking at the t168 chart all I can say is all hale Corinthian.

I'm not sure what models he's using in Austria but he seems to be onto

something Posted Image Posted Image

I did say at it looked very good at t120 hours and it looks to have gotten better from there!
  • Like 1

Posted

So close on the ECM to a big pattern change, we need the pattern further west though. This type of output is exactly why the UKMO were on shaky ground with their outlook. With trough disruption it's always difficult for the models to get this right at the later timeframes.

We might be unlucky with the PV refusing to relent for enough time to allow the ridge further west but overall this looks like turning into a nerve shredder for coldies!

Posted

Nice to see a big scandi / Russian high, don't we need lower heights over Spain or the med to benefit from it though? Could just be a stalemate before the PV returns to its default position. Either way it's very different to the 00z so can't have much faith at the moment

Posted

Not the worse chart I have seen from the ECM. We are not far from an easterly here with quite a strong Scandi high that could prove difficult to shift.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm2161.gif

Posted

Nice to see a big scandi / Russian high, don't we need lower heights over Spain or the med to benefit from it though? Could just be a stalemate before the PV returns to its default position. Either way it's very different to the 00z so can't have much faith at the moment

For the last few days the 12hrs of both the ECM and UKMO have been more amplified than their 00hrs runs. Let's think positively the 12hrs on Boxing Day would have more airplane data than Xmas Day!

Even with some sort of stalemate there could be some snow along the boundary, I think we need to hope for some westwards corrections and stronger ridging into eastern Greenland earlier.

Even putting aside the recent ECM FI bias both it and the UKMO have potential at T144hrs.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 2

Posted

ECM and UKMO virtually identical at t144 with the ECM trying to get

into the festive spirit in its extended output and practically

succeeding. Definitely think the northeast is the direction to look

for cold. A little more amplifcation and westward movement and we

could very well be looking at some noteworthy cold and wintry weather.

Will future runs move the pattern more in our favour or not is the

question. Fingers crossed.