Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 24/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and no more than 25degC

Phew - that was scarey!!!

We made it by a whisker.....no wind damage but marooned from 11pm 23rd til 9am 24th having spent most of the evening moving everything upstairs...before conking out exhausted on the sofa fully clothed in the early hours ....only to miss the "main event" between 4 and 6am when the squall and extra rain hit sending the stream into overdrive. Thankfully the floodwater didn't ever rise high enough to actually challenge the leaky flood door threshold even though the rain did! So all we got was a soggy utility room floor which towels could easily cope with.

Finally got the tree up last night,, Turkey crown is now in the oven and I am sitting here with a glass of bubbly with Mr Michael Bubbly on the CD thinking how lucky we have been here in Forest Row compared to our neighbours in Tonbridge/Leatherhead/Guildford etc. Tiggy is enjoying her new cat-nip Mr Fishy,  the guinea pigs are tucking into dandelion feast and Numpty is on the tinnies!

The PP household would  like to send festive cheer and thanks to the Environment Agency, Emergency Services, Local councils and Utilities staff who have given up their Christmas to help people stay warm, dry and safe....you are heroes. Thank you!

Secondly wishing all of you here at Netweather a very Happy Christmas and big thanks for all your information and support this year.......this forum has given me a freedom I have not had since 2007 when I last flooded......I can now plan ahead for inclement weather and no longer have to cut short visits/journeys to rush back worried my home is about to flood again.

Finally and equally importantly. sending thoughts and condolences to all those who are not spending today as they had intended including Greenhithe.I hope 2014 will be kinder to you all and that this time next year you will be in happier place.Wheek wheeek miaowww

Love PP, Numpty, Tiggy and Piggiesxxxxx

P.S. See you back here on the 27th and the 30th - I would like to hope we will stay lucky 3x in a row!xxxx

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

Happy Christmas to you wonderful people with all of your weather knowledge and wisdom. Sorry to read about some of the stories on here of family loss and floods. Heart breaking watching the news of all the people today with no power and floods coming into their homes. Giving thanks today for my gifts and dry warm home, very lucky and grateful..

• Like 2

Posted

merry christmas everyone!

well, after my last post-

Posted 23 December 2013 - 23:46

i would like to comment on that last prolonged gust..... but the forum swear filter would not allow me to give an accurate description....

power went out about 2 minutes later. thankfully it came back on about 01.20 this morning so saved christmas day. Posted Image 

some have not been so lucky though, some areas round here still have no power and i feel sorry for those flooded out

Posted

Posted Image

cannot update this properly yet

but this is the chart for tomorrow midnight

hopefully get the rest of the charts soon

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Happy Christmas - hope everyone is having a great day !

After a frosty start (kind of a White Christmas in a way) it's been a wonderful day in every way not just the weather.....

I've had some wicked presents from mr P including a ring and a pair of tickets with instructions to follow the yellow brick road :-)

Just waiting for Dr Who and the pudding that we were too full after a such a big yummy lunch to eat earlier !

Thoughts are with those who's day may not have been quite so happy for whatever reason

Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

I need better practice on the keyboard, looks a cold one tonight so maybe another frost.Posted Image

I hope so - certainly looks like things could start and get colder soon, plenty of flood water to freeze so if that's the case we could be skating on the fields !

Posted
  • Location: hastings riviera 4 last 10 years .born & bred in croydon
  • Weather Preferences: proper seasons ! hot sunny summers & cold snowy winters
  • Location: hastings riviera 4 last 10 years .born & bred in croydon

Merry Christmas everyone ! I've noticed today that I've got lady bugs in my utility room , they only come in there when we are due a cold spell , they have done it for years ! Come on snow , my daughters new light up sledge needs testing by me , just to make sure it's safe for her to use of course !!! Xx

• Like 5

Posted

hi all

now i know what a stuffed turkey feels like Posted Image

quick fax update

tonight

chilly

close to a frost but low cloud and drizzle likely overnight so will get a tad warmer as we head to morning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tomorrow

Posted Image

a weak west flow

temps

Posted Image

temps around 6-7 degrees

rainfall

after morning drizzle clears it looks mainly cloudy but a chance of some sunny bits as well

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tomorrow night

Posted Image

as we get into late pm winds will increase on a south westerly

rainfall

Posted Image

stays dry up to around 2am

then heavy fast moving rain moves in

at 7am

Posted Image

heavy rain still hear

FLOOD ISSUES WILL BECOME A PROBLEM AGAIN

temps around 8 degrees

wind around this time

Posted Image

gusting around 40mph most areas

around 10am

winds around 40-50 mph south of the river

the further north you go around 50-60 mph

Posted Image

at 12 friday

winds a strong south westerly

still 40-50 south

around 45-55 north

the wind should ease around 5-6 pm

rainfall

Posted Image

still heavy rain but clearing most areas by around mid-day

this is assuming the trough on the fax stays to the west and does not move east

temps for friday

Posted Image

surprisingly cold

around 8 degrees

feeling horrid yuk bleak and i can add more but will not put on here

the wind is worth a watch but i would be more concerned with between 8-10 hours of heavy rain

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

friday night

Posted Image

weak south west flow

rainfall

looks dry bar the odd shower to the far south

temps

Posted Image

where the winds get light

expect a frost

less likely the further south you are

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

saturday

Posted Image

a weak north west to westerly flow

temps

Posted Image

chilly around 6 degrees

rainfall

Posted Image

dry am and most of the day

rain likely late pm and maybe heavy again

more later if i stay off the lager Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by john pike
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Hi JP....just a question regarding Friday`s rain.

Friend lives in Edenbridge,,escaped being flooded by 20ft,he`s asking how things might look? We looking at another 8hrs+ of rain then?

Oh,just call me Mr creosote.....pass the mints! Posted Image

Edited by anything-but

Posted

don't want  to worry the people in the flood plains in Kent and Sussex  keep an eye on the radar some they heavy rain heading  your way  looking  at the radar 

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Thunderstorm in brighton with copius hail.

Posted

people  in the  gatwick,,reading  ,Basinstoke  area  be ready looks  like there heavy showers due  there they soon

Thunderstorm in brighton with copius hail.

this wont help with  the  floods  down there one  little  bit could cause more problems  over  night

Posted

hi ab

will update tomorrow

its a tricky one this

if the jet kicks off more speed the storm will go through quicker with less rain involved

the risk then increases the wind speed

a bit of a no win situation i am afraidPosted Image

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1387929600&regionName=se

• Like 2

Posted

Thanks JP,did mention things won`t really be nailed down till tomorrows runs anyway,he`s actually got a trip up the shard booked for friday too, wouldn`t be doing that myself with the probable weather we may get! 

• Like 1

Posted

Likewise,another day`s soaking and getting blown down the motorway for me Friday,unless it`s progged further south then i`ll stay in and finish the turkey! :D

• Like 1

Posted

Hope everyone has had a good day. Just sitting here munching on cheese and crackers with the obligatory glass of Christmas port after driving over to Portsmouth and back today.

Roads were quite busy. Had to take an early detour as A27 was flooded at Wilmington and ended up going on back roads over to Lewes. Could see where trees had been bought down Monday evening looks like people had been busy yesterday clearing the roads fair play to them. Going into Lewes the back way you could see how badly flooded the fields near the river were. Worrying to say the least.

Thank you again John for your updates. Your daily updates throughout the year have to be IMHO the most informative updates on this forum.

• Like 8