Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Coldest low lying place In England and Wales?

Posted

I have been searching for the coldest low lying(on average)place for both England and Wales but Didn't find any particular towns mentioned. My friend says its either redesdale camp,Benson or chesham for England and sennybridge for wales.

You guys have any idea what's the Average annual coldest low lying areas for both countries?

Edited by boywonder
  • Like 1

Posted

A very interesting question, although you may need to clarify how you define low lying? Below a certain level of elevation I presume?

Bish

Posted

A very interesting question, although you may need to clarify how you define low lying? Below a certain level of elevation I presume?

Bish

Any town that's Around 100-350 m high.

For Scotland Its:

1.Dalwhinnie 6.3 C

2.Leadhills  6.76 C

3.Braemar 6.81 C.

Never found any Particular towns for England or Wales.

Edited by boywonder

Posted

I would hardly call somewhere at 350m, over 1,000ft 'low level'?

• Like 4

Posted

I would hardly call somewhere at 350m, over 1,000ft 'low level'?

Well If you google Coldest low lying Place in UK all the 300 meter towns in Scotland pop up with the term "low Lying" Used in it.What i meant was towns in england and wales that have the coldest annual temperature. Edited by boywonder

Posted

As an annual mean, it's probably somewhere like Newcastle due to the North Sea influence keeping summer maxes low.Many days which are warm and sunny even a few miles inland are chilled by onshore winds and sea fog.Inland towns get lower minimums but often are much warmer through the summer. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

are you talking averages ?....yes and what are low lying? habited or rural?

I believe Queensbury is the highest town in England,just up the road from here aprox 330m,it is a cold windy place but no minus 25 degrees as you get at shawbury!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Any town that's Around 100-350 m high. For Scotland Its: 1.Dalwhinnie 6.3 C2.Leadhills  6.76 C3.Braemar 6.81 C. Never found any Particular towns for England or Wales.

I was always led to believe under 60m was deemed low lying by the Met Office. I certainly wouldn't included anywhere over 150m at most as low lying.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I reckon that it will probably be in a frost hollow in an inland part of north-east England, most likely Northumberland.  The reason for this is that the north-east has relatively cool summers and cold winters (winters in the north-west tend to be relatively mild- the snowy reputation of the Lake District stems from much of the region being at high altitude) and coastal areas tend to be warmer than inland, due to milder winters, and low daytime maxima being offset by high night-time minima in summer.

Topcliffe, which is just a few miles from where I currently live, might be a candidate as it is in a very pronounced frost hollow, but on the other hand, the summers around here are significantly warmer than in Northumberland.

Posted

As others have stated, depends on what you class as low lying, given most of our settlements are below 150m, I would use 150m as a cut off, below 100m would be a better cut off.

I suspect it is somewhere in Northumberland, not too far from the coast, summer maxes are often very supressed close to the east coast, and cold northerly and easterly airstreams peg temperatures back in winter and spring notably.

Inland parts of Northumberland however can get quite warm in summer and autumn, cancelling out the chilly winters and spring.

Many places in east Cumbria are above 100m and some notably so, otherwise somewhere like Brough or Kirkby Stephen could be a good candidate - far inland to receive very cold nights in winter and exposed to northerly and easterly outbreaks yet far enough west to come under the influence of the atlantic in the summer and autumn pegging temperatures back compared to places to the east of the Pennines.

Rather than coldest place, Windermere has the honour of being the second wettest town in England after Ambleside just 4 miles up the road..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Probably somewhere like Skipton. But there could be other candidates further north and much further south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Shap in Cumbria is probably the coldest inhabited place in England with a weather station: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/climate/shap-cumbria#?tab=climateTables

Malham Tarn is cold too, but I think the Malham Tarn weather station is a lot higher than the village of Malham itself: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/climate/malham-tarn-north-yorkshire#?tab=climateTables

Redesdale Camp isn't an actual place, but it deserves a mention anyway: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/climate/redesdale-camp-%28samos%29-northumberland#?tab=climateTables

Topcliffe in North Yorkshire is around 20m ASL and has sub-zero lows in December, but has warm summers: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/climate/topcliffe-north-yorkshire#?tab=climateTables

Santon Downham in Norfolk has rather chilly winter lows too, and is a famous  frost  hollow: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/climate/santon-downham-norfolk#?tab=climateTables

Edited by cheese

Posted

I believe Queensbury is the highest town in England,just up the road from here aprox 330m,it is a cold windy place but no minus 25 degrees as you get at shawbury!!!

I've just been sifting through some of the snow scenes in Queensbury from recent winters, via Google Images................they really do have insane amounts of snow up there.

Bish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Any town that's Around 100-350 m high.

For Scotland Its:

1.Dalwhinnie 6.3 C

2.Leadhills  6.76 C

3.Braemar 6.81 C.

Never found any Particular towns for England or Wales.

I would say high ground is 200m plus, 300m I would class as hilly, always classed 100m as low

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

are you talking averages ?....yes and what are low lying? habited or rural?

The really odd thing is lower ground has more frost than higher ground - many inland valley areas are bloody cold on clear calm mights. Of course higher ground is snowier/wetter due to  "orographic lifting" and also higher ground has lower dew points which helps precipitation fall more as snow than rain. http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/wxfacts/Frost-hollow.htm

• Like 1

Posted

The really odd thing is lower ground has more frost than higher ground - many inland valley areas are bloody cold on clear calm mights. Of course higher ground is snowier/wetter due to  "orographic lifting" and also higher ground has lower dew points which helps precipitation fall more as snow than rain. http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/wxfacts/Frost-hollow.htm

low lying ground is often colder than higher ground around it because of simple physics, cold air near the top is denser and therefore drains downhill gathering at the bottom and then cools even further by radiation.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Agree with that.Quite often, certainly on frosty evenings in the winters where we get frost, I can see the temperature increase as I climb towards home and sometimes the difference between ourselves and lower down in the valley can be 2 or 3c.Under normal conditions though we are usually around 3c lower than Manchester and surrounding towns with the knock on effect that sleety rain in Manchester will normally indicate settling snow in Bacup.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Agree with that.Quite often, certainly on frosty evenings in the winters where we get frost, I can see the temperature increase as I climb towards home and sometimes the difference between ourselves and lower down in the valley can be 2 or 3c.Under normal conditions though we are usually around 3c lower than Manchester and surrounding towns with the knock on effect that sleety rain in Manchester will normally indicate settling snow in Bacup.

I used to live at 340m until recently and the temp up ther was between 2 and 3 degrees colder than in the valley bottom all year round even on frosty days,only when it gets to severe temps -8 to -10d eg does this start to change and the temps in the bottom become colder am sure someone can give some science on this!

Posted

I used to live at 340m until recently and the temp up ther was between 2 and 3 degrees colder than in the valley bottom all year round even on frosty days,only when it gets to severe temps -8 to -10d eg does this start to change and the temps in the bottom become colder am sure someone can give some science on this!

see post a couple above yours?

Posted

I was going to say that. There's a comparison between the close local stations of Houghall, Ushaw College and Durham in Gordon Manley's 'Climate and the British Scene'. Houghall was much colder on frosty nights.

Houghall recorded the lowest March temperature in England; -21.1C on the 4th, 1947. Edited by March Blizzard

Posted

Id say its got to be somewhere in the vale of york like topcliff or maybe houghall. As for Redesdale camp I grew up a mile away and its around 1000 feet and very exposed to northerly winds so definatly not low ground but also cold and snowy.

Edited by tynevalleysnow