Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms February 2014

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Well above Hurricane force on the Kinsale Platform...

78mph sustained gusting 99mph.

It won't be as strong for us here in Dublin but waiting for it sure is a build up.

Edited by Luke Anthony

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Well above Hurricane force on the Kinsale Platform...

78mph sustained gusting 99mph.

Wow - that is all....

I know it is exposed but seriously impressive.  Red alerts acorss Wales and some parts of NW England - already turning out to be a very major storm.

I am not expecting anywhere near those wind speeds up here in the NE and to be fair we always seem a bit sheltered from the worst of the damaging winds.  Higher ground further west though could be in for a real battering come rush hour..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Really windy on the coast on here, gusts are exceeding 60mph. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

I think the south has been spared, just think what would have happened if it had stayed on track for the southwest!  I think Friday nights storm will be severe for southern area's.

I hope all the people in wales and northern england and Ireland stay safe as that's where it's worse, today has been on par with the storm we had just before Christmas for us in Exeter....Had the storm stayed on track for the southwest it would have been the worst storm in the southwest since the burns day storm, 24 years ago.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Kinsale Gas Platform gusting to 99mph

I hope people stay safe, this is now the most severe wind-storm since 1997.

That's comfortably category 1 hurricane sustained winds on the last 2 reports.

Power is on the verge of going here, lots of flickering!

• Like 2

Posted

I agree with Twistergirl; we seem to have survived the worst of it down here in Devon. Inland, at least. Sky is brightening up now the main rain band has passed. There was about a minute of absolute carnage on the back edge of the rain band - I thought the roof was for it! Certainly the heaviest wind/rain I've seen here since before Christmas. House is leaking like a sieve!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

That's comfortably category 1 hurricane sustained winds on the last 2 reports.

Power is on the verge of going here, lots of flickering!

What are the sustained winds though? Those are gusts, the sustained winds need to be in excess of 73mph to be "hurricane strength". Either way, crazy stuff.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

What are the sustained winds though? Those are gusts, the sustained winds need to be in excess of 73mph to be "hurricane strength". Either way, crazy stuff.

The last two reports were 74mph & 78mph sustained, gusting 90-100mph. 

• Like 2

Posted

The sustained winds are hurricane force, 64knots and 68knots on the last 2 reports, 74 and 78mph.

http://www.met.ie/latest/buoy.asp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I expect it's an average of 10 minute windspeeds, the NWS take it at 1 minute intervals.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Problem we have now, it is still rapidly developing as it trundles NE...there may still be a sting in its tail yet.Gusts getting livelier now, although nothing noteworthy at present.

Yeah there is that like - I would say usually we miss the worst but this winter has been anything but "usual" so far!

Does anyone know what this system is expected to bomb at pressure wise and approx times?  Charts don't open on this PC I am using?

Cheers

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT

Please keep the reports coming guys n gals, all the better when they are live reports from the areas currently effected by the worst of this "WILD WEDNESDAY" storm as its been dubbed by media circles. *Perhaps I should add from the safety of inside a building, not from outside* Posted Image

I've just put Sky News on... Jesus Christ!! Getting very gusty here in Tunbridge Wells. Edited by Sidsnake
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The last two reports were 74mph & 78mph sustained, gusting 90-100mph. 

Thanks, that's insane!

• Like 1

Posted

I think the south has been spared, just think what would have happened if it had stayed on track for the southwest!  I think Friday nights storm will be severe for southern area's.

I hope all the people in wales and northern england and Ireland stay safe as that's where it's worse, today has been on par with the storm we had just before Christmas for us in Exeter....Had the storm stayed on track for the southwest it would have been the worst storm in the southwest since the burns day storm, 24 years ago.

Devon will still see higher winds later on in the day, don't be completely fooled by it brightening up just yet!

Posted

A few pics appearing know, from the AA twitter

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

I've just put Sky News on... Jesus Christ!! Getting very gusty here in Tunbridge Wells.

I was just about to post the very same thing - wind really roaring now and much more sustained. And a guy from BT has just arrived to replace the telephone pole over the road - good luck with that!

• Like 5

Posted

95,000 now without power, things still flickering here but lasting for now.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/433584687898845184

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Devon will still see higher winds later on in the day, don't be completely fooled by it brightening up just yet!

Agreed, i think it will be bad for the North Devon coast, South Coast, South-West Coast of Wales

Winds now getting stronger and stronger, now that they have swung more south-westerly