Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 07/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Had to turn back this morning, traffic was bumper to bumper across the whole area. So no school trip for son (this is one of the huge disadvantages of having to drive long miles for special needs schooling) and I'm doing my best to work from home. Not sure if it is all the road closures due to flooding in areas just a few miles away or if there was another cause for the traffic chaos. 

Grey day here now, huge surprise...

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 2

Posted

Morning All,

Just spent the past hour or so catching up on all the posts over this weekend - sounds like those down on the south coast had some thunder - lucky things!

We went to Hastings yesterday - the sea was very stormy - and it's true what they say - the sea really does roar when angry!

Will post some pictures up when I get the chance.

As for today, just heavy grey cloud - suitably depressing for a Monday morning!

Have a good day

SR

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Mornin each. Grey, overcast and grim here in Ippy. Oh, and it is now spitting with rain.

On a brighter note, I just ordered a book on Meteorology. So I'll be as good as Mr Pike...........in about a hundred years time. Posted Image

Have a good day all. And stay safe.

Here is the book if anyone is interested..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1780460023/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

Morning all,

That book looks good Grace, although I probably need this one ....

post-10773-0-70909300-1392026208_thumb.j

.....a very chilly 3 deg c when I went to bed, still cold now at 5 deg c and a grey damp miserable looking Monday morning it is too !

I suppose we need to make the most of it before the next lot of wind and rain arrives though, I really feel for those in the flood affected areas and also worry that this will have consequences for all of us, in the short term on fresh water supplies and in the longer term if crops can't be planted in fields which are still going to be waterlogged and there is no suitable pasture for grazing animals then we can probably safely say there will be a big price rise in food, one way or another we will all pay for this that's for sure Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Morning all,

That book looks good Grace, although I probably need this one ....

Posted Image9780764552434.jpg

.....a very chilly 3 deg c when I went to bed, still cold now at 5 deg c and a grey damp miserable looking Monday morning it is too !

I suppose we need to make the most of it before the next lot of wind and rain arrives though, I really feel for those in the flood affected areas and also worry that this will have consequences for all of us, in the short term on fresh water supplies and in the longer term if crops can't be planted in fields which are still going to be waterlogged and there is no suitable pasture for grazing animals then we can probably safely say there will be a big price rise in food, one way or another we will all pay for this that's for sure Posted Image

Ha ha! Yes....me as well. I never gave that one a thought. Have a good day, hun. Stay dry. :)
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Thames Valley Police

Road closures due to floodingDatchet – Junction of High St/Slough Rd/The Green and also Queen’s Rd, Horton Rd and South Lea RdHorton – Datchet RdWraysbury – Welley Rd Bisham – Quarry Wood LaneWindsor – Pococks Lane and Home Park car park, Kind Edward VII car park Datchet Rd Cookham – B4447 where it crosses The Pound, Ferry Lane, Sutton Rd (between Sheephouse Rd and Cookham High St) also Cookham BridgeAscot – Station HillHurley – High St, Shepherds Lane, Mill Lane and Hurley car park
Eton – Meadow LaneAlso to be aware – A308 at Runnymede in Surrey is also closed

Work is ongoing to minimise disruption in Oxford city centre due to the Abingdon Road being closed and flooding in the Botley Road area. Every effort is being made to keep the Botley Road open.
Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Morning all

A dull morning here, but it is not raining Posted Image

Might have to nip out a bit later, not sure yet, will get the rest of the housework done first, having seen the news again on the flooding seems here we have been lucky this year, not so much heavy rain has fallen upstream unlike last winter, it is still running higher than normal though with some minor flooding, but then the local council and EA etc all kept building off the flood plain in the valley and turned most of it over to grazing and natural wetlands.

Posted

Miserable weather and miserable journey into work. A body was found on the tracks at Brentwood station so we gave up trying to get to work and having a work from home day. Amazingly I've actually done some work too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Morning all !

Beautiful scenes this morning at Eastney.

Not a breath of wind. Mirror glass sea

Ominous towering cloud to the South.

Wish i had a better camera with me instead of an iPhonepost-18857-0-98872400-1392028243_thumb.jpost-18857-0-40458600-1392028280_thumb.j

• Like 9

Posted

They do that all the time, we see an exceptional spell of weather and then blame climate change. If it's dry for a long time, it's going to be dry all the time apparently. But when it's wet all the time, yes you guessed it, it's going to be wet all the time because of climate change. Come back to me when someone makes their mind up. 

It's certainly a tricky one.  Who to believe?  98% of the world's scientific community, or the Daily Telegraph?

Anyhow, for a more scientific view on whether this recent record-breaking wet weather I can highly recommend the recent Met Office briefing (http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/n/i/Recent_Storms_Briefing_Final_07023.pdf) which gives a very good overview of the science around this, and where more research is needed.  A rough précis is that we can't definitely attribute these storms to climate change, just that extreme rainfall events are more likely recent changes to the climate.

(And as an aside, it is entirely possible that climate change could lead to both more extreme droughts and wet winters, for example by increasing the chance of blocking patterns in the mid-latitudes - this is currently a very active area of research)

Posted

Morning all !

Beautiful scenes this morning at Eastney.

Not a breath of wind. Mirror glass sea

Ominous towering cloud to the South.

Wish i had a better camera with me instead of an iPhonePosted Imageimage.jpgPosted Imageimage.jpg

I did think about getting a DSLR rather than just using my galaxy phone, but since most of the pictures I take are reference only for turning into art I find the phone one does the job, only downside is macro or distance (zoom) shots are a bit pants, then I borrow my parents click and go finepix which covers most of the gaps, but still not very zoomable.

• Like 1

Posted

My Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom takes very good, sharp photos. It's like a camera with a phone rather than a phone with a camera. :)

On topic.....it's still dull but rain has stopped........for now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Pouring down with rain here in south London atm, and the rain looks to linger on and off much of the day. Another 10-20mm tomorrow, 10-20mm or more Weds, even Thursday 06z GFS shows rain for us as a wave runs up Channel, then of course potential big storm come late Friday into Saturday to dump heavy rain, though 06z GFS has a much shallower feature across the south. Really doesn't look good seeing rain everyday without a break Posted Image

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 3

Posted

I see that Mr Pickles has stated that, aid spent abroad will help to stop flooding in the UK.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10626939/Eric-Pickles-Spend-aid-abroad-to-stop-flooding-in-the-UK.html

That's all very well in the (very) long term...but what about the people who are affected by floods NOW?

• Like 4

Posted

Just looked out to see what the noise was (squeeling from the ash cart it seems) and noticed it has come on to rain here too, so we managed one day of it not raining here then.

Posted

I see that Mr Pickles has stated that, aid spent abroad will help to stop flooding in the UK.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10626939/Eric-Pickles-Spend-aid-abroad-to-stop-flooding-in-the-UK.html

That's all very well in the (very) long term...but what about the people who are affected by floods NOW?

And this bloke is this week due to make a final decision on our local out of town shopping development! Posted Image

anyway, flicked through that article and my attention was "grabbed" by a link to another one

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/sex/10624669/Lesbian-sex-life-Avoid-measuring-your-sex-life-by-how-often-you-do-it.html

even explains about *ahem* dryness.

and the rain has come on here now, nothing dry about that :(

Edited by Jax
  • Like 1

Posted

Sky reporters, why do you feel the need to stand in the flood water while explaining that there is flood water?

Its annoying.

Oh they all do it, why do they insist on flying reporters out to far flung places for a 30 second report to say its raining, its flooding, its war etc.

• Like 2

Posted

Oh they all do it, why do they insist on flying reporters out to far flung places for a 30 second report to say its raining, its flooding, its war etc.

Did you see it just now? She grabs some elderly bloke sloshing through the water and asks him how he feels about it, is he anxious?

• Like 3

Posted

Did you see it just now? She grabs some elderly bloke sloshing through the water and asks him how he feels about it, is he anxious?

I do not have Sky TV so no, barely get freeview as it is (and that is with the booster) used to but sacked it as it was silly money for sweet FA IMHO and even my parents have reached that conclusion too now.

For a nano second the sun came out here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

I saw that too. I was rather hoping he was going to let go of his oversized waterproof trousers, that he was keeping a firm grip of, and show the nation exactly how he felt.

• Like 5

Posted

I saw that too. I was rather hoping he was going to let go of his oversized waterproof trousers, that he was keeping a firm grip of, and show the nation exactly how he felt.

Then you must have seen her just now giving a small boy a lesson in English grammar.

Boy - "Its going to get worser"

Reporter - "its going to get worse.You'd better go home then"

Its really funny just watching it.

• Like 2

Posted

The rise of the River Thames does seem to be slowing or leveling off around here at least: http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/riverlevels/136496.aspx?stationId=7172 This is just downstream of Datchet and suggests levels in the river at least haven't risen much in morning daylight hours which contrasts slightly to BBC reporting, but maybe it's flowing/seeping from the river to somewhere in the village and causing levels to still rise there?

Based on the gauging stations thankfully I don't think the river will rise too much higher before tomorrow (though still could creep up a bit especially downstream), but then some rain tomorrow and more later on Wednesday looks like preventing/reversing any slight fall that could have started by then.. and then probably more significant rain Friday into Saturday.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1

Posted

Sun is back out here and things seem to be improving for now, nice to see some blue skies for a change.