Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic storms February 2014

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: if its warm i want sun..if its cold i want snow.

a tablet ?..ditch that nonloading rubbish and buy a decent laptop..at least it will work.

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, to a point .....

A 'weather/disaster management guy' on sky news just said we will continue to have the bombardment of storm systems for another 2 weeks at least!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A 'weather/disaster management guy' on sky news just said we will continue to have the bombardment of storm systems for another 2 weeks at least!

According to the met office next week will remain generally unsettled but less severe than of late with brighter, showery interludes between further spells of rain

UK Outlook for Monday 17 Feb 2014 to Wednesday 26 Feb 2014:

The weather will remain generally unsettled but less severe than of late with brighter, showery interludes between further spells of rain. There will be strong winds at times with a risk of gales, but mainly in exposure. Showers will be wintry over hills and perhaps to lower levels in the north of the UK at times. Temperatures will be around or a little below normal with an increasing risk of overnight frosts and ice in quieter, clearer spells. However, there will be occasional milder spells in the south. Towards the end of February the changeable weather looks set to continue, but with longer drier and brighter periods between bouts of rain and wind. As a result it may turn colder with an enhanced frost and ice risk.

Posted

sometimes you really come across rude, had you asked you would know im using my tablet and it will not load alot of things

Sorry, my apologies but you did not say that in your post

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: if its warm i want sun..if its cold i want snow.

plenty more low pressure systems to come..

it does not make much difference it they are not as severe it is still going to dump more rain onto flooded areas.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Plenty of info on the damage in Ireland here http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0212/503773-weather/

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Serious weather this evening, it's not fit out ATM! Gusting 70-80mph, I went outside very briefly with my anemometer and recorded a gust to 81.3mph. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Well, I don't think he's been watching the models recently then. After Friday/Saturday's storm system, although there'll likely be more systems bringing rain, GFS and EC suggest the jet will weaken and become more convoluted, so those Atlantic lows should lose their bite with less wind and hopefully less intense and frequent rainfall.

Mind you, any amount of rain from now on will not be good news - as the ground can't absorb any more.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow...

We've not had much so far in Eden valley liam, its blustery and putting a lot of rain down but nothing exceptional..maybe just me but I'm convinced the Lakeland fells and pennines block us off froma lot.

Edit to add... just turned itself up notch!

Edited by markb1000

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

I hope all the people in the main severe path of this storm today are ok x

Does anyone have the updated gust charts for Friday nights storm please?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Highest gust a few mins ago at 73mph,, down the road at loftus 85mph has just been recorded

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Highest gust a few mins ago at 73mph,, down the road at loftus 85mph has just been recorded

Yes significant increase in wind speeds here too - not sure of exact winds but definitely a hell of a lot stronger.  

• Like 1

Posted

We've not had much so far in Eden valley liam, its blustery and putting a lot of rain down but nothing exceptional..maybe just me but I'm convinced the Lakeland fells and pennines block us off froma lot.Edit to add... just turned itself up notch!

Similar here, it's pretty windy but just a typical winter storm we get once or twice a year.

Posted

I hope all the people in the main severe path of this storm today are ok xDoes anyone have the updated gust charts for Friday nights storm please?

Highest gusts on the south coast 70-80 mph on the 18z gfs.

• Like 1

Thomasz just posted this satellite picture on Twitter of the storm today. Beautiful but deadly!

Posted Image

And here's what the WRF NMM had forecast just before it hit Southern Ireland this morning. Never seen the gusts off the chart before when it's not in FI.

Posted Image

Posted

I have just returned home from work to a scene of carnage. Neighbours house roof badly damaged, tiles scattered over 100 ft or so, garden fence smashed, even one of the concrete posts is snapped. What the hell, my anemometer 10 metres up on the roof is destroyed. The last speed on the console before death is 99.2 mph. Can someone find out for me if there has been any tornadic activity in south yorks or barnsley plz? My house is ok. The anemometer pole was a tv antenna pole and is bent almost flat pointing east.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I have just returned home from work to a scene of carnage. Neighbours house roof badly damaged, tiles scattered over 100 ft or so, garden fence smashed, even one of the concrete posts is snapped. What the hell, my anemometer 10 metres up on the roof is destroyed. The last speed on the console before death is 99.2 mph. Can someone find out for me if there has been any tornadic activity in south yorks or barnsley plz? My house is ok. The anemometer pole was a tv antenna pole and is bent almost flat pointing east.

Jeez! I think it would have been a bit of a shock to be at home with all that going on. :o