2015 March 20th Solar Eclipse

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Ah fabulous view Lothian

Clear blue skies, eclipse glasses

about 95% here So pleased

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

moon%20and%20sun_zps3dqrakpd.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

post-13901-0-53667300-1426854052_thumb.jpost-13901-0-38296700-1426854053_thumb.jpost-13901-0-04599200-1426854055_thumb.jpost-13901-0-96833800-1426854057_thumb.j

• Like 5

Posted

Yes a great eclipse the second best one I`ve seen after 1999 it almost surpassed it in some ways as it was so sunny with just odd patches of mid-level cloud,saw those strange shawdows off a tree and myself.

Temp dropped by 1c overall to 5.3c.

The eclipse of the schooldays were cloudy overcast ones.

It went noticeable darker alright.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-31965456

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Not a cloud in the sky now. Sodding typical.

Posted

I am shocked by just how poor the media have become when it comes to simple research.

BBC news says it's the first solar eclipse for Europe of the 21st century. What?! I saw the sunrise eclipse of 2003!

The BBC science reporter says the shadows have got longer.....what?! Not possible unless the sun is getting lower and it wasn't!

Then he says the next British solar eclipse is not until 2026....what?! There will be partial eclipse visible from UK before this.

How simple is it to google and check?!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I am shocked by just how poor the media have become when it comes to simple research.

BBC news says it's the first solar eclipse for Europe of the 21st century. What?! I saw the sunrise eclipse of 2003!

The BBC science reporter says the shadows have got longer.....what?! Not possible unless the sun is getting lower and it wasn't!

Then he says the next British solar eclipse is not until 2026....what?! There will be partial eclipse visible from UK before this.

How simple is it to google and check?!

I'm guessing the science reporters have no backgrounds in science at all? But yeah, even so, 5 minutes on Google/Wikipedia is all it takes.

Edited by Nick L

Posted

I'm guessing the science reporters have no backgrounds in science at all? But yeah, even so, 5 minutes on Google/Wikipedia is all it takes.

It was him looking at his shadow and say it had got longer that made me chuckle. That must have been a spur of the moment gaffe, I think he meant his shadow has got sharper. Never heard of eclipses causing shadows to get longer....lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Fascinating experience this morning, slightly surreal aswell. Watched it through a DIY pinhole projector and managed to steal a glimpse when some Sc rolled through. Light certainly faded a great deal and the sky went from clear blue to a slightly tinted grey/brown colour. Looking forward to the lunar eclipse in Sept and the next solar! :)

Edited by Mesosphere

Posted

I was in luck today. It was visible during the build-up and at greatest eclipse (about 9:30) but then the cloud moved in right after and it's been overcast ever since. Talk about the nick of time. Had it been total I'd have been bricking it good style, and places perhaps a few miles west would have missed it. There was a noticeable eerie dim in the light during the peak period.

post-10576-0-50572700-1426864961_thumb.jpost-10576-0-74482300-1426865041_thumb.jpost-10576-0-77930700-1426865256_thumb.jpost-10576-0-07237000-1426865284_thumb.j

Just to show you how quickly things changed, here's the the view to the SW at 9:20:

post-10576-0-28361700-1426865630_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted

Today was chase the eclipse. Living on the south coast, the chances looked bleak with so much cloud cover,so we left @ 6:00, heading towards Oxford. A shift on route and we were heading for Evesham, and another mid course change took us to Stratford Upon Avon. So a mere 10 minutes before the peak of the eclipse we landed in the Morrison's car park, not over glamorous like a hill top somewhere, but having been plagued by cloud, hill top mist, Vale of Evesham mist, it was pure and simple lets see this.

With some cloud cover it meant the use of eclipse lenses was not necessary, but the view was still good.

15 minutes later, it was about turn and head home. a 304mile chase round trip, but it was worth it, as who knows, I may not see the next one.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Not a cloud in the sky now. Sodding typical.

Tell me about it dare I say its heartbreaking. :(

I was outside at the peak and it got noticeably colder, it really did feel icy it was rather bizarre.... and you could notice the light dimmed it was noticeable, but not really significant. Totality in 2090? I'll pack my bags.

Birds were rather loud & confused, I personally feel that nature connects with these things.

Clear blue skies ATM - I could not see nothing at all. Clean N'ly would have been the tonic.

Posted

Noticed the first of this year's queen bee during maximum phase which for the temperature at the time was a surprise, next doors cat was being a little too clingy so had to shoo it away  :mellow:  in the end it decided to chase the birds instead, all of which were beginning to roost.

I did notice afterwards a few transatlatic flights were heading across the totality zone at the time so hopefully we might get to see some passenger/pilot videos in the coming hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Great unbroken views from Rugby with 20 people 'borrowing' my unofficial 'solar eye protector'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

It was him looking at his shadow and say it had got longer that made me chuckle. That must have been a spur of the moment gaffe, I think he meant his shadow has got sharper. Never heard of eclipses causing shadows to get longer....lol.

The shadows were actually shortening of course, because the Earth continued to spin and so the Sun continued to rise. Which reporter was it?

Lovely and sunny this morning, got some photos. Will try to upload later.

Very strange as there seemed to be two things captured one of the sun very bright and a crescent shape just below the sun.

Posted

Actually managed to get a half decent pic this time........

gallery_3741_1625_9923.jpg

gallery_3741_1625_31993.jpg

Edited by sconetone
  • Like 3

Posted

There you go at 58s

Posted

i tried looking at the eclipse through a colander

ended up straining my eyes...

• Like 2