Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 1st May 2014 onwards

Posted

Some very heavy rain here in the North-East early this morning which has now cleared away

allowing some warm sunshine to break through,so could be an interesting afternoon. :) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

May go to the Grantham and Sleaford areas, as arguably id say this is the best area in the UK for lightning in this typical setup. I'll see how conditions are looking soon

Posted

Had a lot of heavy rain here this morning, almost unrelenting, a brief 10 minute spell on sunshine, which was lovely and warm. The sun has a lot of power to it this time of year to aid these showers.

Posted

My personal experience f weather like this would mean most of the thunderyness in NW England will be more likely the further inland you are, I reckon east manchester may have a good shot today?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

We had blanket cloud cover a little while ago but there are now breaks in the clouds. In the sun feels hot. If its like this in the places with the most potential then things are looking good :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Plenty of sun here atm and just had a very squally shower go over that wrecked the wife's umbrella.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

First heavy shower developing south of here now. I am optimistic about later today...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

A torrential downpour just went to the NE, here. Though, no sferics yet.

Posted

Hmm, no lightning has popped up anywhere yet and I think there's too much cloud and not enough sun at the moment. If we want some thunder then these low clouds between the showers need to clear up a bit and let the midday sun do it's thing.

What is concerning for NW of England is the lack of showers over northern parts of Wales. They seem to have died a death at the moment in that area.

Posted

Hmm, no lightning has popped up anywhere yet and I think there's too much cloud and not enough sun at the moment. If we want some thunder then these low clouds between the showers need to clear up a bit and let the midday sun do it's thing.

I've had some sun here, although it might not be sunny where you are, the sun might be out up wind so showers can develop. we've had awful rain and cloud this morning, and it's almost dry outside again. A lot of convection happening today. Edited by Darren Bown

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

East Anglia looking the best bet for things to go bang in the short term as some potent showers develop.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days
TonyH, on 10 May 2014 - 11:51, said:

East Anglia looking the best bet for things to go bang in the short term as some potent showers develop.

The squally showers that passed over me are intensifying as they head east by the looks of things.

Posted

Or perhaps not...

Posted

Hi all, can you identify what type of Cloud this is?

I thought it was Cumulonimbus, but Tony ^ says Cumulus.

post-19153-0-00924900-1399720409_thumb.j

Maybe cumulus congestus?

Anyway, hoping for a nice rumble of thunder or two this afternoon. The sun is out on occasion here, with plenty of cloudier intervals and showery rain too. Quite breezy and cool as well.

Posted

Cu congestus I would say

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Hi all, can you identify what type of Cloud this is?

I thought it was Cumulonimbus, but Tony ^ says Cumulus.

Posted Imageimage.jpg

As a general rule, you want to see it higher in the sky and look for the anvil shape.

Just typical suns out here, lovely and warm (albeit breezy), yet where there is more of the storm potential is it's cloudier.

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

The cloud in question is a raggedy looking Cu congestus....a line of lively showers are passing through here currently....no t&l, but torrential rain

Posted

Shaping up for a soggy wrap around afternoon here!

Overcast with drizzly rain recently. Just 10c.

Lightning is finally being detected. Blitzortung has picked up two strikes around the Stoke-on-Trent area.

Good! Perfect area to start electrifying as the showers move NE  :good:

Posted

Sferics just off the E Anglian coast so they did get it together in the end :)

• Like 1

Posted

As a general rule, you want to see it higher in the sky and look for the anvil shape.Just typical suns out here, lovely and warm (albeit breezy), yet where there is more of the storm potential is it's cloudier.

Thanks all, I did thought it was too low altitude, although it was well defined, hard to tell. Cu congestus is a new one for me. I've looked it up and it is very similar looking, in appearance well said :good:
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Looking at the radar the showers are defo picking up now getting heavier moving north east

Posted

Nice Cb clouds there Scott :)

• Like 1