Convective / storm Discussion - 22nd May 2014 onwards

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

This looks nice to the south...

post-7351-0-24568600-1400959277_thumb.jp

• Like 5

Posted

That looks very similar to what I saw earlier, but failed miserably to get a decent pic of. You've got a much better panoramic view (slightly jealous :))

Posted

This is one for weather history , a storm in the 1970 s over london possibly caused by heat island effect, I think it was quite violent producing rain in biblical proportions !.....

That was the Hampstead storm of August 1975.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

This is one for weather history , a storm in the 1970 s over london possibly caused by heat island effect, I think it was quite violent producing rain in biblical proportions !.....

Hampstead Storm perhaps of 1975, 7 inches of rain in a few hours.

WH beat me to it!

http://www.weather-uk.com/hampstead/page3.html

Edited by TonyH
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Peak rainfall rate 261.36mm an hour from the last brief shower. Very impressive.

Edited by The PIT
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Had this echo heading towards us so decided to get myself into position to see how it would be. Hung around on the north side of Norwich and prepared to travel north to keep ahead of it. Saw it getting closer visibly and when I thought it was close enough decided go get moving as planned. It was great fun actually I had my girlfriend and her 2 children with me and my girlfriend was recording.

I wasn't expecting it to be fantastic or even electrified, it had intensified and then weakened as it got closer. We kept ahead of it nicely in fact we were traveling quicker than the cell and were able to stop and watch the front edge come over us before continuing. Once I decided that it was only going to get weaker we stopped and let it come over us and rain on us. It wasn't very heavy and when I got back I noticed it turned in an easterly direction that's why the heaviest of the rain missed us. It's so much harder to be able to keep the rain radar up to date when 3G slows down out of the city.

Had some nice weak mammatus and cloud structure was good to look at. Had a good laugh whilst keeping ahead of it and is definitely good practice for perhaps something more severe worth chasing comes along. If it was then it would have been near perfect to capture something interesting on the front edge.

post-7331-0-74206800-1400959963_thumb.jp

post-7331-0-45732500-1400959979_thumb.jp

Edited by Greenday
  • Like 2

Posted

we keep pumping long squall lines another up for the north.  My pics are in my gallery

Peak rainfall rate 261.36mm from the last brief shower. Very impressive.

simply wow best I have had 48 mm/hr how much rainfall did you get

Posted

Must have been quite a day!

http://www.weather-uk.com/hampstead/page3.html

edit.

Lovely spiral of cloud over over the UK at the moment on satellite.

Edited by Cloud 10
  • Like 2

Posted

we keep pumping long squall lines another up for the north.  My pics are in my gallery

simply wow best I have had 48 mm/hr how much rainfall did you get

For the shower 4 mm. Shows how short it was.

Posted

Peak rainfall rate 261.36mm an hour from the last brief shower. Very impressive.

far less here but one flash and rumble about 1935-40

Posted

far less here but one flash and rumble about 1935-40

Don't think the shower has got to you yet John. Anyway that brief shower and hail was far more entertaining than 45 minutes of the footie.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days
  • Like 8

Posted

thanks The Pit very sharp short and swift mind you if had gone on you would needed boats rather than cars.

On a hill no probs if we get flooded Noah's making a come back.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

For the shower 4 mm. Shows how short it was.

That total must have fallen under a minute with a rate like that?After deciphering my data from Thursday morning, 10mm fell in 7 minutes, I was quite impressed with that!

Posted

That total must have fallen under a minute with a rate like that?After deciphering my data from Thursday morning, 10mm fell in 7 minutes, I was quite impressed with that!

Well My Car alarm liked it stupid thing.

Posted

Rained a bit but was bright warm sunshine 20 minutes ago, great bright red sunset manchester way now really dark... Skud flowing past and very weird coloured sky....Ps todays rain from earlier has filled a previously ( yesterday) empty bucket to half full... Edited by WillinGlossop

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Rain reached here now. Nothing else with it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Storms all missed Derby again.....

.... but they didn't miss me :D.

I decided to drive south and could see skies to my southeast were jet black with a nice inflow cloud. It turned out to be a developing storm that started over Leicester and as it passed over it had with it some gusty winds, hail and the odd flash. However, this was just the starter. As I chased the storm westwards it was clearly intensifying with flashes becoming more frequent and some IC's too. Then I arrived in a village called Abbots Bromley and it was awesome.... frequent flashes of lightning, some CG's but the most impressive thing was the rate of rain and hail with strong winds. I have not witnessed anything that heavy for a long time, it was like someone was constantly throwing buckets of water at the car with some pea sized hailstones too. Lots of flooding and the hail had actually left a light covering on grass verges.

A great end to a formerly disappointing spell. I am glad I decided to chase and not stay put. I have around an hour and a half of video footage to edit now.

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Storms all missed Derby again.....

.... but they didn't miss me :D.

I decided to drive south and could see skies to my southeast were jet black with a nice inflow cloud. It turned out to be a developing storm that started over Leicester and as it passed over it had with it some gusty winds, hail and the odd flash. However, this was just the starter. As I chased the storm westwards it was clearly intensifying with flashes becoming more frequent and some IC's too. Then I arrived in a village called Abbots Bromley and it was awesome.... frequent flashes of lightning, some CG's but the most impressive thing was the rate of rain and hail with strong winds. I have not witnessed anything that heavy for a long time, it was like someone was constantly throwing buckets of water at the car with some pea sized hailstones too. Lots of flooding and the hail had actually left a light covering on grass verges.

A great end to a formerly disappointing spell. I am glad I decided to chase and not stay put. I have around an hour and a half of video footage to edit now.

Abbots Bromley is about 10 minutes from here, one of the local villages. The direction the storm was travelling in meant I was looking in the direction of Abbots bromley as it was approaching. Could see it building and then the lightning transferred from over that way pretty much as a direct hit here.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Abbots Bromley is about 10 minutes from here, one of the local villages. The direction the storm was travelling in meant I was looking in the direction of Abbots bromley as it was approaching. Could see it building and then the lightning transferred from over that way pretty much as a direct hit here.

I was hoping to see a storm today but wasn't expecting anything quite of that intensity. Looking back at the radar I think I was quite lucky as Abbots Bromley looked to be in the core of the northern cell (there was another one further south closer to Birmingham). Did you get the hail and rain?

• Like 1