Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / storm Discussion - 22nd May 2014 onwards

Liam J

Posted

nasty looking today with Norfolk getting alot of rain today.  Estofex Has Level 1 warning out which wrapped around level 2 in netherlands possible why alot rainfall forecast.

estofex says about rainfall risk

see rainfall amounts in excess of 50-80 mm/24h. This risk continues all night long!

Edited by vladthemert

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting - mostly storms or snow

It's sunny in Norwich at the moment, at east it looks that way behind my closed curtains from my bed.

Posted

There is rain closing in here but none of it looks convective.............yet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Is thunder back in the forecast? The bbc have changed their London forecast three times, it's driving me nuts! First thunder, then to heavy rain, now light rain! :help: The met office are saying that there is a risk of thunder this afternoon! Drizzle or thunder? :cc_confused: :cc_confused: :unknw:

Well, looking at the charts I'd say our chances have diminished somewhat. GFS and euro4 shunting the 'overnight action' even further north on the 00z and trying to maintain pretty robust cloud cover all day. Some CAPE seems available but I would like to see some heating to help realise it. That was the 00z run though, let's await the 06z - but unless I'm mistaken this murk over us is continental after birth and notoriously stubborn to shift.Even MetO now going drier/sunnier towards Kent (to me seems a tad paradoxical given the conditions for showers given to some good heating but ho hum) Edited by Harry

Posted

I agree Harry BUT no murk here - blue skies and hot here in Essex

Really?...jammy!! We have what I can only describe as post storm detritus, but it has been trying to brighten up at times.

Posted

The rain is due in the east overnight tonight isn't it? Will give quite a dumping of rain in East Anglia by the looks of it!

Posted

Really?...jammy!! We have what I can only describe as post storm detritus, but it has been trying to brighten up at times.

its not blue skies wall to wall

but lots of blue visible - its certainly feeling very warm indeed

Posted

The rain is due in the east overnight tonight isn't it? Will give quite a dumping of rain in East Anglia by the looks of it!

Yep, but there is some potential for showers, maybe the odd storm too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Feeling very muggy with hardly any wind here and the skies are quite black. Maybe something later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I'd say West is best for any potential, it just looks like gloom and doom where that area of rain is.

It looks bloody awful eh?post-15177-0-07870800-1401097683_thumb.ppost-15177-0-28137500-1401097690_thumb.ppost-15177-0-36375700-1401097696_thumb.ppost-15177-0-41100000-1401097802_thumb.p Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted

06z seems to show the storms hardly grazing the coast

lots of rain around but storms - maybe not

another bust for S-East ? :(

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
THERE IS A RISK OF THUNDERSTORMS FORECAST

post-1052-0-45205600-1401098223_thumb.pn

Synopsis
Extensive upper trough covers western Europe today, whilst upper ridge covers E Europe/ W Russia. Slack surface low pressure covers the UK and mainland Euope with high pressure to the north and off western Iberia. An unstable airmass covers the UK, particularly towards the NW.

... SCOTLAND, N IRELAND/IRELAND, WALES and SW ENGLAND ...

500mb cold pool across NW British Isles, embbeded in upper trough overspreading the UK, will support steepest low-mid level lapse rates across NW/W UK and Ireland today - with help of surface heating in the sunny spells here. So expect scattered heavy showers and thunderstorms to develop in the above areas today, storms focused along north-south convergence lines across the west. Fairly strong southerly winds aloft and 30-40knts of 0-6km shear, will aid in storms organisation across SW England, Wales and Scotland, with a risk of isolated moderate to large size hail and strong wind gusts with any storms, along with a risk of localised flooding. Storms will be more dis-organised further west over Ireland/N Ireland, where vertical shear will be weaker. There is a chance of funnel clouds or even a brief/weak tornado/waterspout with any strong/buoyant updrafts of cells forming along wind convergence zones.

... SE ENGLAND/E ANGLIA ...

With any breaks in the cloud following morning rain clearing northwest, some instability may develop here in the afternoon given sufficient surface heating, bringing a risk of some thunderstorms developing here.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 2

Posted

I'd say West is best for any potential, it just looks like gloom and doom where that area of rain is.

It looks bloody awful eh?

Posted Imageviewimage.pngPosted Imageviewimage (1).pngPosted Imageviewimage (2).pngPosted Imageviewimage (3).png

Well...NMM departing from the masses it would appear. UKMO seemingly now suggesting something heavier/convective tonight across London/Home Counties while maintaining the main mass N-EA/Lincs/Humber.

What an interesting 24 hours coming up!

I went out earlier with the sun breaking through - can see evidence of mid level instability although sadly clouding up again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Well...NMM departing from the masses it would appear. UKMO seemingly now suggesting something heavier/convective tonight across London/Home Counties while maintaining the main mass N-EA/Lincs/Humber. What an interesting 24 hours coming up!I went out earlier with the sun breaking through - can see evidence of mid level instability although sadly clouding up again

To be honest, I'm not a fan of the NMM, I just like the pretty colours. :laugh:

Posted

Nick F - with no mention of imports I guess you are ruling that mostly out ? thanks for forecast

Wouldn't rule it out, may update later if that looks the case.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

According to GFS it does look like parts of N.England and Scotland have the best chance of more organised thunderstorms according to the DLS chart. I think in the main N.England, Scotland and Ireland will see the best of it today. Not much DLS over E.Anglia and the surrounding area's but more Surface level shear, however TT's seem to indicate a lesser chance for thunderstorms than the aforementioned areas with lower lapse rates too. Convective precipitation does seem to be on the cards for East Anglia though according to GFS.

NMM models disagree with GFS on the DLS for east anglia suggesting 10-16 m/s and less convective precip. I still think it's touch and go for us here for anything severe.

Anyone else have thoughts about today's 06z run?

post-7331-0-17178600-1401101000_thumb.pn

post-7331-0-98804000-1401101018_thumb.pn

post-7331-0-95443500-1401101040_thumb.pn

post-7331-0-01105300-1401101252_thumb.pn

post-7331-0-69752900-1401101276_thumb.pn

post-7331-0-12840100-1401101348_thumb.pn

post-7331-0-19925300-1401101398_thumb.pn

Edited by Greenday

Posted

According to GFS it does look like parts of N.England and Scotland have the best chance of more organised thunderstorms according to the DLS chart. I think in the main N.England, Scotland and Ireland will see the best of it today. Not much DLS over E.Anglia and the surrounding area's but more Surface level shear, however TT's seem to indicate a lesser chance for thunderstorms than the aforementioned areas with lower lapse rates too. Convective precipitation does seem to be on the cards for East Anglia though according to GFS. NMM models disagree with GFS on the DLS for east anglia suggesting 10-16 m/s and less convective precip. I still think it's touch and go for us here for anything severe. Anyone else have thoughts about today's 06z run?

I suspect cloud spilling up from the south may hinder storms over N England today, but yes, Scotland and the far west have the best chance for storms today - where we have brighter or sunnier skies.

Posted

that last forecast on Mapantz I think I will need a boat to get around.   Any chance this a dream.  This going to be widespread issue with rainfall.  One of the model forecast in model forecasting talked 67mm rainfall here :bomb:  :bad: .  Crikey we need some rainfall here but not months supply in a day.  How much rainfall did somerset levels get cause there flooding could there be similar issue these coming days.

Posted

Sun has been out most of the morning here, feels warm and muggy.