Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / storm Discussion - 22nd May 2014 onwards

Liam J

Once you've experienced US storms, British cloud farts just don't cut it any more! Meanwhile, the team out there are on a tornado warned cell I think, and the stream is working so far!http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=chaselive;sess=Discussion here:http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/80427-chase-day-16-slight-risk-c-tx/

I'm up for it but my wife won't have it :(..........quite experienced at driving in us having worked there any discounts on storm tours if I drive :).....).. Edited by Mokidugway

Posted

Once you've experienced US storms, British cloud farts just don't cut it any more! Meanwhile, the team out there are on a tornado warned cell I think, and the stream is working so far!http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=chaselive;sess=

Discussion here:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/80427-chase-day-16-slight-risk-c-tx/

and we are hard pushed to even get the farts,  I really really really hate lack of thunder now ,  and to make things worse I live in one of the most thunder deprived parts of a thunder deprived country, double whammy,   the reason why I am so bitter is it seems to be getting worse year on year, when we were mislead into believing flash storms will get more common because of GW,  HA bleedin HA

take me back to the eighties please,  we had quite a few humdingers per year then , even here

sorry rant over...and out 

• Like 3

Posted

Once you've experienced US storms, British cloud farts just don't cut it any more! Meanwhile, the team out there are on a tornado warned cell I think, and the stream is working so far!http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=chaselive;sess=

Discussion here:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/80427-chase-day-16-slight-risk-c-tx/

Is there really any point on you being on the UK convection and storm thread then?..................................

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Would be funny if we could actually re-live 80s and 90s weather now, this forum would go into regular meltdowns over the storms experienced! The annual Spanish plumes, spectacular nighttime imports, loads of homegrown beauties...aaah, take me back lol, plus the music....heaven

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Had a heavy shower for about 10 minutes and that was it. I don't think we've had a correct forecast all week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Is there really any point on you being on the UK convection and storm thread then?..................................

Absolutely. I dream that one day these fabled storms of the 80s will return! (I was born in '92)

There is a thread regarding the apparent absence of good storms in recent years here:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/80422-continental-imports-post-2006-what-went-wrong/

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

and we are hard pushed to even get the farts,  I really really really hate lack of thunder now ,  and to make things worse I live in one of the most thunder deprived parts of a thunder deprived country, double whammy,   the reason why I am so bitter is it seems to be getting worse year on year, when we were mislead into believing flash storms will get more common because of GW,  HA bleedin HA

take me back to the eighties please,  we had quite a few humdingers per year then , even here

sorry rant over...and out 

The Spectacular night-time thunder & lightning storms were just the best in the 80s, always remember them hot, muggy nights and the storms were quite frequent in most of them summer nights, during that decade.... Why i have no idea.... But of late we seem to be deprived of what use to be!

• Like 3

Posted

Absolutely. I dream that one day these fabled storms of the 80s will return! (I was born in '92)

There is a thread regarding the apparent absence of good storms in recent years here:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/80422-continental-imports-post-2006-what-went-wrong/

ok , that's fine, so lets leave out how great USA storms are and how poor ours are.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Some heavy rain coming in now, but the real heavy stuff looks to be just moving out of Germany into Belgium and Holland, expect some heavy stuff maybe with an odd sferic thrown in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Yes, those hot sultry nights, with amazing lightning going on for hours. Sometimes with no rain for a few hours. Then the daytime storms that literally turned the sky to night and all the street lights came on. They were always a bit on the scary/exciting side to be honest. Coloured lightning too, remember that distinctly from two occasions in the late 70s/early 80s. All good memories but want more of that to happen now, not the general storm starvation of the last decade or so.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Yes, those hot sultry nights, with amazing lightning going on for hours. Sometimes with no rain for a few hours. Then the daytime storms that literally turned the sky to night and all the street lights came on. They were always a bit on the scary/exciting side to be honest. Coloured lightning too, remember that distinctly from two occasions in the late 70s/early 80s. All good memories but want more of that to happen now, not the general storm starvation of the last decade or so.

Ah those memories of car alarms going off in the middle of the night, seeing a disco through the curtains, hearing rain that sounded like it would cave the roof in! Happened all the time throughout the 90s. As said earlier, this site would crash if they were to happen now. Hopefully some point this summer!!
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Hi all, just a heads up before bed on this rainy Monday. 

I can remember the storms like that too. All night long. In fact I can remember one when I was going on a family Holiday..it started at midnight and was still going when we headed off at 5:30am.Pitch dark then amazing flashes and booming thunder. What was even more amazing was the sky afterwards. Full of tiny cloud towers. never ever seen a sky like it again.

Oh well hope some people are lucky tonight the rain seems to be missing me for now.

Nite all :lazy:

• Like 3

Posted

So many storm memories, it's good to remember them and know that the last few years are not the norm. The storm drought will end sometime and hopefully this year Nite all, I'm off to bed feeling all nostalgic for the past....a hot sultry night, forked lightning and distant thunder with The Human League playing quietly in the background lol....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Would be funny if we could actually re-live 80s and 90s weather now, this forum would go into regular meltdowns over the storms experienced! The annual Spanish plumes, spectacular nighttime imports, loads of homegrown beauties...aaah, take me back lol, plus the music....heaven

Yes its fantastic to have night time storms but pause for a thought ,the same as all weather conditions you will get periods of certain weather ,wind rain thunder blizzards lows up the english channel etc etc .it then goes full circle so eventually they all come round again .Ican remember night time storms in the late 50s and early 60s ,shaking the house window rattlers ,lightning that you could read a book by ,and they all seemed to die out just as the sun rose and pop up again the following night ,wait long enough and perhaps a winter cold enough will come to be able to walk across the solent ,and although thats a bit far fetched we are enough far north ,thats the beauty of Meteorology so unpredictable ,cheers gang . :yahoo:

Posted

I bet someone mentions thats its all selective memory....well it isn't,  dont even go there

anyway the 80's was not just better for storms , some great music was around, just been listening to a China Crisis LP on vinyl of course,

anyone remember the live aid concert, guess what else was going on that evening,  yes you guessed , a couple of MCS storms were rumbling away northwards to give an overnight display.....as it happens, thats the 80's for ya

Edited by IanR
  • Like 3

Posted

Rain in the east seems significantly weaker than what was forecast this morning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

I am afraid there is pretty much cross model agreement for the rain across eastern areas to be just heavy rain, no thundery element to it at all. Okay, not just heavy rain, there could be some torrential downpours with a lot of rain for some, but thunder and lightning is off the menu from what I can see.

The chances of any thundery activity tomorrow is further west across Wales and the SW along with possibly Western Scotland. 

Does look good later on here.

Posted

Well surprise surprise it's a repeat of yesterday, more rain and very chilly temps with a distinct lack of thunder. Looks like the wettest weather is a bit further north today and my location may stay mainly dry if I'm lucky.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I bet someone mentions thats its all selective memory....well it isn't,  dont even go there

anyway the 80's was not just better for storms , some great music was around, just been listening to a China Crisis LP on vinyl of course,

anyone remember the live aid concert, guess what else was going on that evening,  yes you guessed , a couple of MCS storms were rumbling away northwards to give an overnight display.....as it happens, thats the 80's for ya

Unfortunately, born in 1992, I did not experience the storms in the 80s but do remember a number of humdingers in the 90s, I think it was some time in 1997 when my fear of thunderstorms became a fascination. 1998 I think was quite quiet for MCSs but there were some corkers in 1999, especially at the end of May.

Well the convective plume in FI has disappeared from the GFS. Today's rain is also lighter than forecast (not that I'm complaining). Can't see anything worthwhile happening here, maybe better across the west where there are some cloud breaks though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Unfortunately, born in 1992, I did not experience the storms in the 80s but do remember a number of humdingers in the 90s, I think it was some time in 1997 when my fear of thunderstorms became a fascination. 1998 I think was quite quiet for MCSs but there were some corkers in 1999, especially at the end of May.

Well the convective plume in FI has disappeared from the GFS. Today's rain is also lighter than forecast (not that I'm complaining). Can't see anything worthwhile happening here, maybe better across the west where there are some cloud breaks though.

Exactly the same here  :good: