Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / storm Discussion - 22nd May 2014 onwards

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Windy, rumbly, flashy or snowy.

Just had 30 minutes of interesting cloud building, most vivid rainbow I have seen in years and the low level clouds are now starting to race to the south west but all radars are showing the rain band heading in from the south east. I cannot believe we haven't had a single flash of CC at the very least. Raining fairly hard too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

That super cell is the business.

I think they should ban planes during thundery weather, thought I heard a rumble and seeing some dark clouds but it was a plane.A PLANE! :fool:

• Like 2

Posted

well folks, after waking up this morning to cool and cloudy conditions and not really much hope of storms, it has turnt out to be a good afternoon, 2 good storms here and some great posts regarding other storms around the country, looking like we might have another shower here before the night is out, according to the met office saturday afternoon is the next chance for storms here, hope everyone has enjoyed mother nature today.

• Like 1

Posted

Funny how that blob in the N Sea has stayed active though, in spite of the wind direction. There was a storm there last night too: the one that clipped Kent and Lowestoft and eventually ended up in Oslo!

Maybe the wind over the sea has a constant effect, but when it comes off the sea to land it has a variable effect(to storms that is) :unknw:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting - mostly storms or snow

There seems to be a cell heading north towards me at the moment but it looks to have dumped all its sferics out to sea by Colchester.

But today's been such a let down for me I'm going to cling to any shread of hope I can.

Edited by Gonzolio Martinez

Posted

Those houses are tiny!!! :-0

Ps nice sky!

Oh thanks :D

Actually those houses are quite normal with at least 180m² each of living space as they are pretty long in terms of shape!

• Like 1

Posted

thanks! despite no direct hits today, i was able to get my eyes on that supercell over Heidelberg in 30 kilometer distance...so it was quite enjoyable today!

EDIT: Nice webcam right now: http://www.rhoen-cams.de/show.php?cid=54

Standstill pic:

Posted Image

Geeze that's awesome! Well done!! :-D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

WOW amazing footage!! :)

• Like 1

Posted

Just in from work and couldn't wait to look at the radar, wow it's nothing like it was when I went to work at 4pm. I take it the showers that were crossing the channel when I left at 4pm didn't turn into anything special?. I was really happy with today, I've missed out on storms quite a bit lately and to have 2 big thunderstorms and 1 thundery shower I was happy lol. The thundery shower was just after 1pm, then thunderstorm around 1.30pm and another about an hour later *happy*

Met office did a terrible job today lol they took the warning out for London and the South east and bang it all kicked off there pmsl.

• Like 1

Posted

WOW amazing footage!! :)

Of course the credits go to the guys who recorded it! (source links) :wink:

Edited by Knoxgar
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Maybe the wind over the sea has a constant effect, but when it comes off the sea to land it has a variable effect(to storms that is) :unknw:

Possibly. Kinda weird though... I guess that's why we love it: weather that is.....

Of course the credits go to the guys who recorded it! (source links) :wink:

Please keep sharing though! Continental storms are AWESOME :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Met office did a terrible job today lol they took the warning out for London and the South east and bang it all kicked off there pmsl.

Reverse psychology for storms, we need to speak to the met office about this new phenomena! :rofl:

• Like 2

Posted

Possibly. Kinda weird though... I guess that's why we love it: weather that is.....

Yes maybe someone with far greater knowledge could give us the answer?

Posted

Please keep sharing though! Continental storms are AWESOME :D

for sure! Im also active in the wetterzentrale forum, we share alot of webcam links, pics and vids there which i will also share with u here! :wink: At least the best ones, sometimes it's far to much :D

Posted

Estofex have another level 1 for Midlands and Wales for tomorrow - mostly for a small tornado threat.

post-118-0-78885700-1400794093_thumb.jpg

Posted

Estofex have another level 1 for Midlands and Wales for tomorrow - mostly for a small tornado threat.

and for my area LVL 1 again:

A level 1 was issued for parts of France, Belgium, far W-Germany and Luxembourg mainly for an isolated large hail and strong wind gusts event. A tornado or two are possible.

Edited by Knoxgar
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Oh well good night from me. Tomorrow will be a quiet one.

Posted

There seems to be a cell heading north towards me at the moment but it looks to have dumped all its sferics out to sea by Colchester.But today's been such a let down for me I'm going to cling to any shread of hope I can.

Yes, I went on a little chase after seeing convection which wasn't looking that great to seeing it building and getting bigger when I took another look 10 to 20 minutes later. It looked nice quite thick convection rather than a loose type of cu. It took some pics and video of it. So I made a move from my mums and wasn't sure which way to go and what to follow. Once I was out the cu I had been watching I noticed a very high base on it and it didn't look that promising in the end. I saw 2 more areas of interest. This was about 8pm. One to my southeast and one which I thought was to my southwest travelling North. This looked the best in structure so I decided to head to dereham where I thought I would rendevouz with it but I was mistaken. The cell I was looking at was actually already north of Dereham.

So when I got to Dereham I noticed on the radar that it was the wrong cell I was looking at but at that time I could see that the one I was meant to rendevouz with wasn't looking much and that the cell you talked about was giving out lightning. So I decided to abandon it and head back to see what would happen with that cell. I got to Brundall where I thought I was in good position had some food. It was fluctuating intensifying and then the 10 mins later it was dying again so I aborted and decided to head home. Funnily enough though I got home just as the cell in question in fact the left split was about to come over. 10 minutes of nothing special rain and that was it :rofl:

All in all I did enjoyed it and got pics and video out of it. One lesson to learn is to use my satnav as a compass to pinpoint what cell I am looking at as that would have avoided my initial mistake. All good practice though  :yahoo:

We definitely have not had any luck with this latest barrage of storms to hit the UK but we do still have the rest of spring and summer to go through yet.

Edited by Greenday
  • Like 1

Posted

Oh well good night from me. Tomorrow will be a quiet one.

gn8 Dami!

Posted

next video from the stuttgart supercell:

Source: http://www.wzforum.de/forum2/read.php?2,2866767,2867650#msg-2867650

Edited by Knoxgar
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Anyone got any predictions for tomorrow?... to me the potential looks less compared to today, with some places seeing -3 LI and and some CAPE:

Posted ImagePosted Image

EDIT: Just seen estofex prediction looks good for my location!

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted

Anyone who would like a simplified course on the basics of handy skew-t charts, message me :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Using the met radar as a guide, this bunch over Southern England should intensify in the early hours, and move NW will be interesting if does....

post-17320-0-11027700-1400800929_thumb.p