Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England, East Anglia & Central Southern England Regional Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

radar shows a shower over me, but nothing, just a milky sun and it has cooled down. Actually feels lovely out now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Going to sit on my garden swing with a beer, Wife thinks I'm mad but it does seem to encourage T-storms  :cc_confused:

Posted

Heavy rain & Thunder + Lightning here @ the Crossways in Greenhithe. S

Rain here but didn't hear any thunder. Can't be more than a mile from you as well as crow flies. Sitting in garden for foreseeable!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Heavy rain & Thunder + Lightning here @ the Crossways in Greenhithe.

S

One strike was prob near the bridge as it was VERY loud with near insta-thunder here (near McD`s roundabout.)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

cloud and hazy sunshine here, looking at the radar the bulk of the rain is passign north of the area we are in, some light stuff showing to our west moving this way, wonder if it will develop though?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Rumble of thunder, here at work in Croydon.

Tom.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, clouds, aurora

Change the record please as the met office bashing is frankly boring.... Thanks

To be honest, as I stated in a post a few days ago, I don't look at the Met Office because I don't trust them to be correct. I look at various forecasts and sites, some originating abroad and take a general view. If some give forecasts that are generally the same, that is what I kind of expect to happen. I am no forecaster nor am I an expert in weather but I would have thought second and third opinions, so to speak, are quite useful to have.

Having said that, today I am rather frustrated at various forecasts who, for the past few days to a week, almost, been forecasting for my area 50+% chance of storms. Netweather and other sites have forecast this. OK, before you bash me and say learn to look at models, just for today let say why can't I do as most people might and go by the 'general public' sort of forecast? I am trying to learn (hideously slowly) and look at the model threads but I have to say NW - wrong - no storms are forming today, and if you think that 22 or 23 feels like 30 as was mentioned in the NW 7 day, that is not the case.  And I have lived in a hot country so I can safely say, this is not hot at all and not even the 'real feel' is correct. WeatherOnline.co.uk app has stated storms today/weekend for the past week - so far, wrong, and they are usually pretty good.

The cloud over us barely cleared until 1pm. East Anglia (certainly an IP postcode) is not the Midlands where most of the storms have ended up tracking. Met Office - from reading the forums it appears there are storm warnings though not sure about their timescales. Now storm chance is pushed to this evening. If NW can just perhaps put into your database that my postcodes (I live on the edges of two areas) for this area never get a storm, you can make your forecasts more accurate.

Normally I am very positive on these forums and post helpful answers to various (non weather questions),granted. I am not wishing to stir things up, nor do I want to start a whole debate. I am just very frustrated that something forecast by varied sources seem very wrong, and temps so very wrong.

I even went to a topographical map to see why the trend is that my area avoids storms, is it because winds and moisture and whatever else get sucked towards the lowland Fens, or the heat island of Ipswich and then other nearby towns make the storms track either side of us. I am trying to find this out. I watched the sferics on the radar this morning approach Ipswich and begin to skirt and fizzle out, was it the heat island effect? Amazing if so, how it wipes it all out.

I may have to eat my words later if a right old banger of a storm does pop up. But for now, I am:

Yours

Disgruntled of this part of Suffolk.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

You think you got it bad, we were due sun with warmth and humidity and yet they kept  banging on about Cooler in the west with cloud.

It was cloudy nearly all day in the east and it's cloudy again now, the bashing will continue as its 1) Weather related 2) a discussion 3) Relevant to the south east!

Now lets see if we get any storms, yet we got no sun or heat :(

Edited by Victor Meldrew
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

You think you got it bad, we were due sun with warmth and humidity and yet they kept  banging on about Cooler in the west with cloud.

It was cloudy nearly all day in the east and it's cloudy again now, the bashing will continue as its 1) Weather related 2) a discussion 3) Relevant to the south east, even IF it bores you

4  Entertaining! Never seen so many posts for ages! :shok:

• Like 2

Posted

It was cloudy nearly all day in the east and it's cloudy again now, the bashing will continue as its 1) Weather related 2) a discussion 3) Relevant to the south east!

Now lets see if we get any storms, yet we got no sun or heat :(

Well the rest of us got sun, so they were correct with us! :)  *whsipers* Oh, and the storms have been fairly accurate so far...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Rumble of thunder, here at work in Croydon.

Tom.

Make that 6 rumbles now but no rain, as of yet. Seems to be gradually tracking ENE.

Tom.

Posted

It is very rare that a forecast of sun is wrong for me. 

getting darker here, overcast. Nothing near me on radar. boo. Can smell a bit of summer rain outside.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Well the rest of us got sun, so they were correct with us! :)  *whsipers* Oh, and the storms have been fairly accurate so far...

Just don't understand why the national didn't mention the east or south east cloud at all, not once did they mention the lower temps and cloudy skies, some people had drizzle!

Posted

So had warm and humid day here in East Sussex and the storms decide to give a show way to the north do they hate Sussex or something

Posted

Going to wonder something and see If anyone knows...

A good few years ago my now late parents and I were taking a Holiday in Hayling Island and one evening they got talking to another family in the pub garden. The man then went onto say that 'he could smell that a thunderstorm was on the way' and ten hours later we indeed had a storm. I also have a friend who could 'smell' when it was going to snow. Any idea's what this 'smell' could be? My mum thought perhaps it was a burning smell, but tbh i have never smelt anything different before a storm hits. .so can you smell a storms on the way, really?

Edited by Dami

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Rumbling started here again,can`t tell if it`s from to my east over medway or coming up from the s.w as of yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Lots of lightning and thunder in rosehill near Sutton seems small cell but now torrential rain too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Storm heading my way from the West, not expecting anything too dramatic but I can already hear thunder from it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Newsflash! talk of weather soon to be banned in this thread :rofl:

After a very hot and humid day it has become a still and warm evening, no sign of any rain or storms though, much more cloud has arrived mind.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Cracking afternoon here. Very sunny and very warm.

Heard my first rumble around 6pm, followed by some very heavy bursts of rain. Still thundering now. Must of heard roughly 15 rumbles.

Perfect summers day :-)

Posted

Nasty little storm developing just west of me.. bolts coming straight down not across the sky type!!  hoping it cools down when it goes through