Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

White Christmas 2014

Stuart

Posted

TheWeatherOutlook says

The twelfth updates slightly increases the chances of snow falling on Christmas day in the south and the north of the UK. As we head into December the signs are an unsettled pattern will persist. Through the second half of the month high pressure may build further north for a time allowing a colder spell of weather to affect the UK. This could bring the chance of snow to some of the country in the run up to Christmas.

Enjoy counting down the days to the big day and check regularly for updates. Remember that forecasting specific days at longer ranges accurately is considered next to impossible in the UK with current technology so the Xmas outlook should be viewed as fun until December. Also check out what 'The computer says' in its daily update below.

Probabilities of snow falling on Christmas Day

North of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 23%

South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 18%

Forecast issued

Update 12, 22/11/2014

The computer says [issued 23/11/2014 11:00:15]The regional Christmas weather predictions are updated daily using medium and long range forecast data. They may indicate very different prospects to the TWO forecast above. Who will be right?
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in the south.
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in Wales.
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in the Midlands.
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in the north.
  • Cold but dry conditions are expected in Scotland
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in Northern Ireland.
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in the Republic of Ireland.
  • Cold but dry conditions are expected in the Netherlands

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/forecast/Christmas-weather-forecast

Posted

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/11253760/White-Christmas-unlikely-as-Met-Office-predicts-milder-than-average-winter.html

Not sure why that article is referring to Christmas. You can get a white Christmas even in a mild winter, it only takes one cold spell to coincide with Christmas.

Who remembers the Isobel Lang Countryfile prediction that Christmas 2004 was likely going to be mild? That prediction was made just under two weeks from Christmas. I remember comments being made at the time "has she not looked at the GFS?" Those GFS runs have gone down in model folklore because if I recall nearly every run from when Christmas got onto the far edge of GFS at 384hrs to the day itself showed an Arctic NWly.

• Like 1

Posted

She was also wrong about the White Christmases. Only 1938 and 1981 in the last century? Off the top of my head there was a widespread White Christmas in 1906, 1927 and 1970.

In fact I'm not sure 1981 technically counts given most places didn't see any actual snowfall on the day itself.

Posted

TheWeatherOutlook says

The thirteenth update makes no change to the chances of snow falling on Christmas day in the south and the north of the UK. The next week or two is expected to bring a lot of settled weather with a risk of frost. In the run up to Christmas colder air could push down from the north at times. This would make snow more likely in northern regions and possibly over higher ground further south.

Enjoy counting down the days to the big day and check regularly for updates. Remember that forecasting specific days at longer ranges accurately is considered next to impossible in the UK with current technology so the Xmas outlook should be viewed as fun until December. Also check out what 'The computer says' in its daily update below.

North of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 23%

South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 18%

Forecast issued

Update 13, 29/11/2014

The computer says [issued 30/11/2014 11:01:03]The regional Christmas weather predictions are updated daily using medium and long range forecast data. They may indicate very different prospects to the TWO forecast above. Who will be right?
  • Cold but dry conditions are expected in Wales
  • Cold but dry conditions are expected in the Midlands
  • Cold but dry conditions are expected in the north
  • Cold but dry conditions are expected in Scotland
  • Snow is expected in the Netherlands

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I have never had a chocolate one. Mum always got me a picture one and then I moved out and never bothered.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summer, cold winters.

Hi guy's.I generally have a small wager on a white xmas for my area.Is there any possible chance of it happening this year or should I save my money? EW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Hi guy's.I generally have a small wager on a white xmas for my area.Is there any possible chance of it happening this year or should I save my money? EW

Looks like a green Christmas down south, with an increased chance of a white New Year instead! What are the odds on a white Christmas Essex Winter?

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 2

Posted

Save your money Essex Winter, very remote chance of snow in the South. Better chance in the North and West. I think even New Year might be pushing it as well for low level snow in the South.

Maybe into week 2 of January before any possible colder snowy weather is in place,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summer, cold winters.

Ok.thanks MS.i heed your advice.maybe a couple of festive pints down the local instead.:-) EW

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Good chance of a frosty christmas from the 6z..

Rtavn3127.gif

• Like 1

Posted

TheWeatherOutlook says

December 25th is now within the range of the GFS/GEFS medium range forecasting model. Despite this it is too early to be entirely confident about the prospects.

The current update increases the chances of snow falling on Christmas day in the north and makes no change for the south. A continuation of the current fairly mobile pattern is forecast during the run up the big day. Colder incursions remain more likely in northern regions with milder air more frequently pushing into the south.

Given the general outlook the best chance of seeing snow falling on the big day remains over higher ground in northern parts of the UK. Because of the mobile and changeable outlook a call on the Christmas day weather may not be made until December 22nd this year.

North of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 24%

South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 15%

Forecast issued

Update 15, 13/12/2014

The computer says [issued 13/12/2014 19:07:51]The regional Christmas weather predictions are updated daily using medium and long range forecast data. They may indicate very different prospects to the TWO forecast above. Who will be right?
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in Wales.
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in the Midlands.
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in the north.
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in Scotland.
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in the Netherlands

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Quick peek at Christmas week from the beeb

Scenario 1 has the greatest chance of seeing some snow for northern and western areas

Untitled6466.png

Scenario 2 is slightly more likely at this stage with average or slightly below average temperatures on westerly winds

Untitled6354768.png

Still a long way of yet in weather terms so anything could happen, GFS P is similar to scenario 1 on its 06z update

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Quick peek at Christmas week from the beeb

Scenario 1 has the greatest chance of seeing some snow for northern and western areas

Untitled6466.png

Scenario 2 is slightly more likely at this stage with average or slightly below average temperatures on westerly winds

Untitled6354768.png

Still a long way of yet in weather terms so anything could happen, GFS P is similar to scenario 1 on its 06z update

1 is more likely, white Xmas for Scotland, nothing for the south, GFS 12Z also showing similar