Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1200 hrs 30/09/14

phil nw.

Posted

With reference to the comments above there does appear to be a tendency for the depressions to travel the Atlantic in a SE/NE dirction and this could allow a height build up in the east. But this is all really pie in the sky

post-12275-0-78372500-1413095454_thumb.p

post-12275-0-67080300-1413095463_thumb.p

post-12275-0-73583300-1413095471_thumb.p

post-12275-0-22319500-1413095480_thumb.p

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

There is a rather wintry flavour to the Gfs 00z op run beyond the next week or so, looking at the bigger picture with NE Europe in particular having a major cold snap bringing snow and strong winds with a cold high bringing widespread frosts to the uk..I like the way FI is trending, a bit more tinkering could unlock a more substantial early wintry outbreak for the uk. In the meantime, the reliable timeframe looks unsettled, more unsettled than yesterday's gfs with that huge atlantic low having more impact so although it does become much milder later next week, it also looks very breezy and unsettled but with drier, sunnier gaps with most of the rain pushing through overnight..and then it turns colder. I hope the bottled up arctic air way to the north becomes uncorked and brings coldies a taste of winter, this autumn has been summery on the whole, time for a change me thinks :clap:

post-4783-0-25622400-1413097016_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-19062900-1413097033_thumb.pn

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The Euro models look good for one last spell of warm weather this morning

ECM1-144.GIF?12-12

UKMO

UW144-21.GIF?12-07

Some very warm air reaches the UK in week 2 on the ECM before the Atlantic breaks through.

GFS and GEM make much less of this and introduce a more mobile westerly set up.

gfs-0-144.png?0

so who is right on this one?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

So both the GFS and Euro flatten the flow to a westerly at day 8 and 10 respectively.

Into FI and the GFS gets much cooler, a northerly followed by an inversion high producing classic frost and fog weather most likely.. Winters coming.

Rtavn3607.gif

• Like 4

Posted

So both the GFS and Euro flatten the flow to a westerly at day 8 and 10 respectively.

Into FI and the GFS gets much cooler, a northerly followed by an inversion high producing classic frost and fog weather most likely.. Winters coming.

Rtavn3607.gif

Until the 3 main 500mb anomaly charts show some possibility of this then I would discount it. Of course 1 in perhaps 50 times GFS synoptic has shown the way but it is rare for this.

So far the anomaly charts are pretty solid in keeping a fairly major trough west of the UK. EC-GFS do keep trying the idea of building a ridge in the Greenland area but not consistently yet and so far the NOAA 6-10 and 8-14 versions have not shown any inclination towards this idea.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

indeed the polar vortex is slowly making its trip around the pole ecm model in fi has it located well away from this side of the arctic more over the russian side and not to far from the nw side of canada. 

glad its still there but slowly doing its rounds id expect its going to be a slowly progression around towards canada.

but heights around the greenland area does look likely be on the higher side than low side.

but looks likely for us looks like the kitchen sink just about sums it up.

wind rain showers warm cooler perhaps snow for scotland later in the runs.

still i expect the models to deal with its out puts very well in this sluggish slow moving atmosphere.

Posted

Until the 3 main 500mb anomaly charts show some possibility of this then I would discount it. Of course 1 in perhaps 50 times GFS synoptic has shown the way but it is rare for this.

So far the anomaly charts are pretty solid in keeping a fairly major trough west of the UK. EC-GFS do keep trying the idea of building a ridge in the Greenland area but not consistently yet and so far the NOAA 6-10 and 8-14 versions have not shown any inclination towards this idea.

Aye, i'm just getting excited at these good looking charts. Inversions are one of the best weather phenomena.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves

Just wondering if anyone's cast an eye on that pesky little feature down to the southwest on day number 10 of the Ecm 00z :unsure2: 

Unlikely to be still there on the next update but interesting all the same.

post-17830-0-60340100-1413110051_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

ECM ens shows the potential for some warmer wetter weather as winds shift to a south westerly towards next weekend temperatures would widely in the high teens maybe even just into the 20's for some southern areas

EDU1-144.GIF?12-12EDU1-168.GIF?12-12EDU1-192.GIF?12-12

EDU0-144.GIF?12-12EDU0-168.GIF?12-12EDU0-192.GIF?12-12

By day 9 & 10 winds begin to come in from the west again so temperatures begin to ease back down towards the seasonal average

EDU1-216.GIF?12-12EDU1-240.GIF?12-12

EDU0-216.GIF?12-12EDU0-240.GIF?12-12

• Like 2

Posted

Very typical conditions for the time of year look set for the foreseeable timeframe. Overall its an unsettled set up and very changeable, through the week we exchange the rather cool conditions of current for a much milder windier theme with tropical maritime air descending upon all in time for next weekend - a classic long draw southwesterly fetch with all its associated misty cloudy gunk.. away from the far SE a very dank dull set up with copious rainfall. We saw a very similar set up around the same time last year.

Longer term - the jet stream is forecasted to track southerly again after a temporary northerly shift, this no doubt will help to quickly kick aside any ridge/height developments over SE parts returning a cooler unsettled them once again, a northwesterly/northerly certainly not out of the question. GFS is showing this possibility, much will depend on the position of core low heights over north pole, if they stick where they are currently, this would certainly help increase chances of something much colder from the north as we enter the latter part of the month.

• Like 4

Posted

The GFS 06z op run throughout FI is classic british autumn with the jet digging further south, spells of milder, wet and windy weather interspersed with brighter, colder and showery days and probably cold enough on northern hills for a wintry mix, also a risk of frost during quieter interludes. It's a very mobile pattern with a chance of occasional upstream amplification bringing the risk of more potent polar maritime or even arctic outbreaks later in the month if the jet tilts more towards a northwest / southeast alignment.. and into november.I hope we don't see limpet euro high's with benign warmth any more this autumn, I want cold  :D

post-4783-0-20717700-1413111269_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-48448700-1413111284_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-08758800-1413111299_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-34488400-1413111317_thumb.pn

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes some cold synoptic's keep showing towards the end of the runs of late by the GFS, With Pm/rPm air establishing.. Nice to see in the output as we draw closer to Winter, And very interesting watching the changes in the Northern Hemisphere.

gfsnh-0-240.png?6 gfsnh-0-288.png?6gfsnh-6-312.png?6

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Warm moist air being dragged up from the Azores. Expect a lot of cloud but temperatures could reach the low 20s if winds manage to veer more southerly as the ECM is suggesting.

Recm1441.gif

Recm1921.gif

Balmy for mid summer, never mind October!

Rtavn14417.gif

• Like 3

The PV around Greenland is showing to strengthen and move S with time

ECM mean day 10 compared to the present state. NAEFS which goes further shows more progression

EDH1-240_pvw1.GIF  EDH1-0_hxh0.GIF  naefsnh-1-0-384.png

850 temps cool down back to normal values also, exceptionally warm at the moment

EDH100-0_ixr2.GIF

Would seem to suggest a fairly active Atlantic and jet and a more zonal pattern into the later part of the month and early Nov. Indeed the main models OPs are looking like that by around day 10.

ECM

ECM1-240_akm7.GIF

All looking rather typical October fare!

Edited by Bobby
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Yesterdays Scottish cool plunge progged for around the 22nd (FI  - I know) backtracked further north with no wintery ppn as such - yet.

980mb Low

post-6879-0-96304700-1413115703_thumb.pn

Temps still around 7 degrees  - snow risk down at 25% for the NW Highlands on the 24th.

Welcome to the journey that is Winter 2014....!

Can't wait :D

Ian

Edited by Iceaxecrampon
  • Like 6

Posted

Where exactly are these strong signals coming from? I ask because it's not that obvious to me?

Looking at the day ten anomalies and surface analysis doesn't indicate to my uneducated eye cold weather in the near future.

post-12275-0-92427900-1413118458_thumb.p

post-12275-0-74633600-1413118486_thumb.p

post-12275-0-96632000-1413118504_thumb.p

post-12275-0-98432700-1413118516_thumb.p

post-12275-0-90474600-1413118523_thumb.p

post-12275-0-24357500-1413118543_thumb.p

post-12275-0-70580100-1413118551_thumb.p

post-12275-0-68327700-1413118566_thumb.p

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

I find looking at charts more than 10 days out for specifics is quite futile really. I know I state what the charts are showing in weather terms at that distance within my reports purely to inform those less able to read charts but it's only my evaluation summary at the end which I hope gives a cross model, balanced and unbiased view of the most likely scenario taking all output as a whole. Despite isolated mouth watering charts from our old friend GFS in FI in recent runs I see nothing to indicate any slant of note towards winter anytime soon..quite the opposite in the short term actually.

Yes agree Gibby.

Certainly the overall Atlantic pattern is evolving into a typical Autumn,changeable outlook.some quite mild days at the end of the week as the next Atlantic low stalls and draws in some muggy tm air into the UK.

The mean charts showing continental heights and Atlantic low pressure as we go through the nextwek/10 days.

• Like 1

Posted

to my uneducated eye cold weather in the near future.

I'm sure the eye in the sky will be on soon :D , i'm looking beyond the mild mush towards the last ¼ of october into november, the gfs has frequently shown colder zonal patterns in that range, usually good at spotting longer term trends, yes the next 10 days bring plenty of mild mush but there is a chance of colder weather later on.

• Like 3

Posted

Yes Frosty, The GFS has been hinting for a cooler more unsettled Pm/rPm flow out in the runs towards the end of October. As you say it's interesting to spot trends/signals at this range, As it's intended for.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

I find looking at charts more than 10 days out for specifics is quite futile really. I know I state what the charts are showing in weather terms at that distance within my reports purely to inform those less able to read charts but it's only my evaluation summary at the end which I hope gives a cross model, balanced and unbiased view of the most likely scenario taking all output as a whole. Despite isolated mouth watering charts from our old friend GFS in FI in recent runs I see nothing to indicate any slant of note towards winter anytime soon..quite the opposite in the short term actually.

Yes - understood Gibby - the perennial Chesnut - but you have to have a base and start somewhere and pick up on any signals (like potential snowfall for the Scottish tops - my favourite time to log in on the Community and looking forward to the rollercoaster and your excellent summaries :D

Ian

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

I'm sure the eye in the sky will be on soon :D , i'm looking beyond the mild mush towards the last ¼ of october into november, the gfs has frequently shown colder zonal patterns in that range, usually good at spotting longer term trends, yes the next 10 days bring plenty of mild mush but there is a chance of colder weather later on.

Interestingly the CFS monthly has been strong on a settled November anomaly with above average temps. Little sign of anything cold from them for a while:

post-14819-0-48569700-1413122613_thumb.p  post-14819-0-93244900-1413122622_thumb.p

JMA week 4 of October to end week 1 November suggests Uppers above average: post-14819-0-36613200-1413122764_thumb.p

The GEFS mean in FI also showing seasonal average T850s for Aberdeen: post-14819-0-11758900-1413122874_thumb.p

The odd op run does show something a bit cooler like the 06z but the Control offers a milder perspective:

post-14819-0-47759400-1413122993_thumb.p

So no real sign of any consistent sign of a cool spell yet alone anything cold but lots of uncertainty so things may change. Looking at the moment from week 2 a trend towards a westerly flow but not on full throttle so maybe brief ridges for the south for some drier weather. Late on in October signs are that pressure will rise and at least the S/SE/E should benefit from this.

• Like 4