Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1200 hrs 30/09/14

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

HERE IS MY LATEST ANALYSIS FROM THE OUTPUTS OF THE WEATHER COMPUTER PREDICTION MODELS FOR TWO WEEKS FROM 8AM TODAY FRIDAY OCTOBER 17TH 2014.

NEXT UPDATE SATURDAY OCTOBER 18TH 08:00

THE CURRENT GENERAL SITUATION. A deep Low in the mid Atlantic will move very slowly NE with a very mild SSW flow over the UK with occasional troughs moving NE in the flow.

MODELS-2 WEEK HEADLINE  Changeable weather with rain at times but some drier and brighter periods across the South at times too. Near or slightly above average temperatures.

THE JET STREAM ENSEMBLE FORECAST The Jet flow is shown to blow in a NE direction across the UK for the next few days before turning more West to East over the UK next week. Beyond that the UK remains the home for the flow probably backing towards a SW to NE axis again through part at least of Week 2.

GFS The GFS operational today shows the current SW flow veering more Westerly next week before easing across the South later as a strong belt of High pressure lying to the South of the UK becomes more influential with time. Through week 2 the pattern remains changeable with the High pressure across the South extending further North to all areas at times. This means than occasional rain next week will gradually become more restricted to northern areas with time with the dry and fine weather across the South extending to all areas at times with mists and fogs possible at night.

THE GFS ENSEMBLES. The GFS Ensembles are less supportive of the High pressure belt to the South giving anything more than occasional drier and brighter spells across the South with the North unsettled, windy and sometimes wet throughout. The South too would see some rain at times along with breezy conditions with temperatures held to values close to or above the seasonal average.

UKMO UKMO this morning shows an active cold front sweeping SE on Tuesday with wind and rain for all for a time before cooler and fresher air brings a mix of sunshine and showers, wintry on Scottish hills. Milder weather returns on a blustery Westerly wind through Wednesday and Thursday with some rain at times especially over the North and West.

THE FAX CHARTS  The Fax Charts support the raw data in full today gradually lowering temperatures towards the seasonal average early next week and as an active cold front sweeps SE on Tuesday a chilly 24 hours with showers is shown with milder air over the Atlantic poised in the wings to move across the UK around midweek.

GEM The GEM operational today suggests a changeable pattern under a basic Westerly flow with bands of rain and showers moving East across the UK at times. Temperatures would be lower than currently but still relatively mild but windy offsetting the feel. Late in the run a cool NW flow heralds the arrival of higher pressure towards the SW of the UK.

NAVGEM NAVGEM maintains the rather changeable theme with strong breezes and rain at times though the South would see least as pressure stays High to the South. Temperatures will stay on the mild side of average for many though a few cooler and showery interventions can be expected across the North at times next week. 

ECM The ECM operational today continues a blustery feel next week with a mix of bright spells and periods of cloud and rain and showers. Temperatures will fluctuate but be lower than currently but never particularly chilly. The South will see the best of any dry weather and later in the run a strong pressure rise close to the SW would bring dry and fine weather to many areas by Day 10 with the introduction to the risk of mist and fog patches.

NOTABLE TREND CHANGES FROM PREVIOUS RUNS The trend remains unchanged from the basic Westerly flow continuing across the UK, most active over the North.

MY THOUGHTS  The models continue to promote a continuation of SW and then Westerly winds across the UK over the coming two weeks with rain and wind at times. Pressure remains projected to be High to the South of the UK which will serve to reduce the affects of more active fronts crossing the North as we move deeper into next week. Nevertheless the influence of this large High pressure belt to the South could serve to stall fronts coming down from the North to stall over Southern England on occasion giving rise to cloudy and drizzly conditions at times at least. However, later in the period the longer term models have a desire to push this High pressure belt up towards and perhaps into the UK giving rise to drier and brighter weather for all with mist and fog problems developing at night should this occur. Over the period as a whole temperatures will hold up well towards average or above but it is unlikely that the current high vales would be maintained. In fact there could be a few polar maritime interventions of air which could deliver wintry showers over Scotland briefly next week but given the time of year it still looks unlikely that anything wintry be it in a calm anticyclonic way or any other is shown by any output this morning with no real pattern shift shown away from this basic Atlantic driven Westerly pattern on the output today.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves

Yes it does look like Temps will turn more Seasonal by Months end Frosty, As Models also indicate.

Snow lying not a couple of hours drive from Oslo in Norway today, according to this Facebook Nature Watch Group discussion which shows the garden white with snow and birds coping as best they can.

My point is this, lying snow is quite unusual at this time of year according to the author of the post and despite a fairly active Atlantic, giving the recent model outputs, there could yet be more to come. As for us, we will be enduring very mild Temps for a few days before a cooler unsettled spell returns. I still have faith in my predictions from a couple of days ago regarding those two late October dates to watch. I'm not suggesting a widespread wintry scene across the UK but I suspect the chances of one affecting at least the far Northern parts are increasing as time ticks by.

Seems the two main op models Ecm and Gfs, with quite reasonable support from the Ens means, have altered the landscape somewhat overnight, with what I dare say to many, underwhelming output. I see nothing to suggest anything other than very limited ( if any) PM incursions for the foreseeable.

If anything, the Azores high looks like it could become quite a dominant player from midweek on, should the latest output verify. Then again, perhaps we need to factor in Hurricane Gonzalo with regards to how the models are currently interpreting surface conditions after midweek.

Either way, it all looks a tad benign with slightly above average temps following a very unsettled weekend and start to next week.  :nonono:  

PS  Seems the lack of posts on here today suggest I may have a point.

post-17830-0-27650300-1413541187_thumb.j

post-17830-0-13647600-1413541205_thumb.j

post-17830-0-09207900-1413541223_thumb.j

post-17830-0-05231500-1413541245_thumb.j

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Here's my latest synoptic outlook for the next 14 days, including the potential impact on the UK and Ireland of ex-Hurricane Gonzalo early next week. Longer term, not signs of any colder weather, in fact after a brief cool down on Tuesday, as the flow turns northwesterly, temps returning to above average values after mid-week. Hints of stronger ridging building north last weekend of October as the clocks go back, which could last through last week of October:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=6230;sess=

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The GFS 06z op run is showing a very mild and anticyclonic end to october and early november with a tropical airmass feeding around the top of high pressure to the south, quite balmy conditions for the time of year with unsettled weather becoming restricted to the far western and northern extremities of the uk and even those areas may fine up into nov, very unseasonably mild or you could even call it warm..early movember BBQ anyone :laugh:  :crazy: 17 / 18 celsius in the south 8)

post-4783-0-67207700-1413544892_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-70648700-1413544921_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-72392100-1413544937_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-61719800-1413544960_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-06340900-1413545647_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-45854200-1413545660_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-81009100-1413546076_thumb.jp

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted

The GFS 06z op run is showing a very mild and anticyclonic end to october and early november with a tropical airmass feeding around the top of high pressure to the south, quite balmy conditions for the time of year with unsettled weather becoming restricted to the far western and northern extremities of the uk and even those areas may fine up into nov, very unseasonably mild or you could even call it warm..early movember BBQ anyone :laugh:  :crazy: 17 / 18 celsius in the south 8)

dont be fooled frosty cos I reckon night times could be really cold under the influence of that high!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

dont be fooled frosty cos I reckon night times could be really cold under the influence of that high!!

I think there would be a lot of cloud associated with those 6z charts but with sunny spells to the east of high ground and across the SE, little or no chance of frost I would have thought.

To be honest I would much rather see an early cold snap than yet another..yawn.. very mild benign spell but we have to accept what the weather gives us, a bit of charity towards coldies would make a pleasant change! :nonono:

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

In the near reliable timeframe, the GFS has suddenly thrown a nasty looking depression down the north sea.

gfs-0-96.png?12

Never welcome at this time of year. There could be gales along eastern coasts.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

In the near reliable timeframe, the GFS has suddenly thrown a nasty looking depression down the north sea.

gfs-0-96.png?12

UKMO for the same time, could get quite windy for a time down the east coast

UW96-21.GIF?17-18

GFS settles things down by mid week

gfsnh-0-120.png?12gfsnh-0-144.png?12

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

gfs-0-96.png?12

Yes a vigorous little secondary development Captain.The UK and ECM models actually showed this sort of feature on yesterdays 12's.

A short blast of colder air before it quickly moves away

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014101712/gfs-1-96.png?12?12

To be replaced by rising pressure and warmer air again.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Quite large differences between UKMO and GFS re how they handle the Scandi ridge and distribution of energy that comes up against it.

It is a known failing of GFS that it has a bias to want to send energy "over the top" rather than undercut in these situations/

GFS/UKMO comparison NH day 7

gfsnh-0-144.pngUN144-21.GIF?17-18

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Anyone notice the vortex shape on the UK 120hrs?

I did think it was calling for help,

link

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/runs/2014101712/UN120-21.GIF?17-18

(sorry haven't worked out how to post images on this tablet yet)

Certainly not a vortex able to consolidate itself properly yet.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Seems the two main op models Ecm and Gfs, with quite reasonable support from the Ens means, have altered the landscape somewhat overnight, with what I dare say to many, underwhelming output. I see nothing to suggest anything other than very limited ( if any) PM incursions for the foreseeable.

If anything, the Azores high looks like it could become quite a dominant player from midweek on, should the latest output verify. Then again, perhaps we need to factor in Hurricane Gonzalo with regards to how the models are currently interpreting surface conditions after midweek.

Either way, it all looks a tad benign with slightly above average temps following a very unsettled weekend and start to next week.  :nonono:  

PS  Seems the lack of posts on here today suggest I may have a point.

Yes Newberryone, I had previously highlighted my concerns as to how the influence of the High pressure incursions might end up changing things. For instance here in the last three sentences I pondered the chances of things staying as I hoped re: the NW'rly. I still suggest the brief Northwesterly interlude will come to fruition but as you indicate its unlikely to be anything of much concern for folk further South. I generally ignore the overnight runs and look for patterns in the Afternoon and Evening model suites over time. Certainly we're now entering a timescale where many a FI tease will show up in the outputs and its simply whether these recur enough on a daily basis to constitute an underlying trend. Plenty of things to watch for sure.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Yes a vigorous little secondary development Captain.The UK and ECM models actually showed this sort of feature on yesterdays 12's.

A short blast of colder air before it quickly moves away

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014101712/gfs-1-96.png?12?12

To be replaced by rising pressure and warmer air again.

The remains of Hurricane Gonzalo.

Hurricane%20Gonzalo.gif

Looks windy

96-289UK_xxp4.GIF

Edited by Bobby
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Well just one run from the 12z GFS and it opens up a snowfest  for the Austrian Alps for first day of November and a possible easterly heading for the UK. As I say just one run, but better than a warm Euro High 1

C

• Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Well just one run from the 12z GFS and it opens up a snowfest for the Austrian Alps for first day of November and a possible easterly heading for the UK. As I say just one run, but better than a warm Euro High 1

C

Yes C they hinted this of sorts the other day as i mentioned, The Models are really skitty atm out in the runs as they continue with difficulties with the strong heights over the Northern Hemisphere. Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Tuesday is looking wet, windy and cold with the east taking the brunt of the strong winds

ECM1-96.GIF?17-0ECM0-96.GIF?17-0

By Wednesday that all pushes east allowing some warmer air to move back in from the west

ECM1-120.GIF?17-0ECM0-120.GIF?17-0

By next weekend some rain and cloud is still possible at times especially the further north you are

ECM1-192.GIF?17-0ECM0-192.GIF?17-0

By day 9 and 10 high pressure is sat over us, warmer for all by day but nights could be colder with some fog

ECM1-216.GIF?17-0ECM0-216.GIF?17-0

ECM1-240.GIF?17-0ECM0-240.GIF?17-0

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The week 2 charts from the ECM look dubious to say the least. That building of pressure over the UK looks very overdone.

To be blunt, at day 9 that 1030mb UK high has appeared literally out of thin air. Not much chance of that given the day 8 chart, modest heights over the south at best. Still the  ridge on the Pacific side looks decent enough.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted

Interesting ECM T240hrs chart with the troughing amplifying over the eastern USA and a cross polar flow with the PV in Siberia:

post-1206-0-29319200-1413572457_thumb.gi

I'd say its the most interesting output we've seen so far this autumn but of course at ten days out a lot could change, something to keep an eye on in the coming days.

• Like 4

Posted

The week 2 charts from the ECM look dubious to say the least. That building of pressure over the UK looks very overdone.

what a split vortex and northern blocking at the end of the ecm run though!!!the vortex is very weak and virtually non existent so far!!!confidence is gathering for a negative opi overall in my opinion!!
  • Like 2

Posted

Interesting ECM T240hrs chart with the troughing amplifying over the eastern USA and a cross polar flow with the PV in Siberia:

attachicon.gifECH1-240.gif

I'd say its the most interesting output we've seen so far this autumn but of course at ten days out a lot could change, something to keep an eye on in the coming days.

the modelling of the arctic on the ops is rather inconsistent in week 2.  what is fairly consistent is the lack of appetite to build a compact p/v and the amplified nature of the runs would possibly lead to feedback loops of amplification via wave breaking from the trop into the strat. 

• Like 4