Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2014/2015

Posted

So is the MJO one of the main reasons some of the forecasts have gone awry, or are there other more important factors that have made the vortex hard to split this winter, e.g solar factors ( solar max conditions are not helpful given the who state I believe)? Would be good to try and understand the learning points so we can take them onboard for future seasons. Just to be clear, I'm not having a dig as I know written text can get misconstrued sometimes - I'm genuinely interested in what we can learn here because these threads are terrific and have moved things forwards so much over the last few years.

On the MJO, I'd think the warm SSTs around Australia are not helping since these are no doubt helping prevent the atmosphere from coupling with the weakfish El Niño SST pattern off S America. The other thing (although I don't understand the mechanism) that may not be helping is the current warm PDO pattern. I can't think of any cold Uk winters off the top of my head that occurred with both a warm PDO and warm AMO; there may be the odd exception, but certainly these patterns don't seem to have favoured us in the past.

Just on the warm PDO that we're in, the same thing happened in the late 50s with a short lived warm blip in the long term cold cycle. This occurred just prior to the flip in the Atlantic cycle so it's possible we're seeing indications that the AMO will go negative over the next 4-5 years.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

It would be good to understand why the polar vortex is so strong again this year, with that temp graph showing below average polar temps currently?

I thought an easterly QBO was supposed to inhibit pv strength, if so, how strong would it have got in a westerly phase this year...a repeat of last year perhaps!

Posted

Berlin updated now and reveals, as many expected, a dearth of wave activity by the end of the ten day period.

Add to that a negative zonal area in the mid/upper strat 30/50N and I would say it's not too positive a starting point! The zonal flow up there has to be concentrated at a latitude which we would like to see blocked.

post-6981-0-69131300-1420288109_thumb.jp

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 2

Posted

Berlin updated now and reveals, as many expected, a dearth of wave activity by the end of the ten day period.

Add to that a negative zonal area in the mid/upper strat 30/50N and I would say it's not too positive a starting point! The zonal flow up there has to be concentrated at a latitude which we would like to see blocked.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That's dreary especially combined with the gfs stratospheric output which shows a re-organisation of the vortex.

Posted

I guess it depends how significant you think the strat is this season karyo. I haven't noticed it being the driver of what happens in the trop.

A proper flow reversing SSW may change that but can't see where that's coming from.

Posted

That's why we need a SSW or a more significant warming at least.

I suppose we could focus on the MJO but that's for another thread.

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom

Very tasty warming on the Navgem. Shame it's unlikely to verify navgemnh-7-102.png?03-11

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

That's dreary especially combined with the gfs stratospheric output which shows a re-organisation of the vortex.

Yes I have given up on a Major SSW as it is frustrating with false dawn after false dawn. I think it is telling us that something bigger is going on within the variables that is counteracting that possibility.

Dr Cohen's blog will be updated soon and I will be interested if his predictions are just for a Minor SSW or a Major one because if it is the former it is a bit misleading for followers? It appears from his latest musings: "is the sudden stratospheric warming (SSW) predicted to take place by the models the end of the first week of January (Figure 4)." that his idea of a SSW is not the Major variety (his definition is a PV split rather than wind reversal). He then predicts 6 weeks of blocking from the upcoming warming, after some sort of delay in downwelling from strat to trop. This upcoming warming IMO may not even effect the trop, let alone cause blocking or last for 6 weeks, so I am a bit confused. Or is it that he believed the over amped ECM over the more reasonable GFS strat and jumped the gun? Interesting to see!

• Like 2

Posted

Yes I have given up on a Major SSW as it is frustrating with false dawn after false dawn. I think it is telling us that something bigger is going on within the variables that is counteracting that possibility.

Dr Cohen's blog will be updated soon and I will be interested if his predictions are just for a Minor SSW or a Major one because if it is the former it is a bit misleading for followers? It appears from his latest musings: "is the sudden stratospheric warming (SSW) predicted to take place by the models the end of the first week of January (Figure 4)." that his idea of a SSW is not the Major variety (his definition is a PV split rather than wind reversal). He then predicts 6 weeks of blocking from the upcoming warming, after some sort of delay in downwelling from strat to trop. This upcoming warming IMO may not even effect the trop, let alone cause blocking or last for 6 weeks, so I am a bit confused. Or is it that he believed the over amped ECM over the more reasonable GFS strat and jumped the gun? Interesting to see!

Maybe he got carried away like Chris Fawkes with his tweets.

But yes, something is working against the stratosphere and is also preventing the MJO from progressing in the 7 and 8 phase this year.

Edited by karyo
  • Like 1

Posted

Hi I'm new to this forum : my name is Dennis and live in the Netherlands .I follow this very interesting forum about two years now.

Hope the winter2015 is a GREAT one - signs are hopefull

Greets Dennis

post-23140-0-90142300-1420292566_thumb.p

post-23140-0-79895700-1420292576_thumb.g

• Like 7

Posted

Maybe he got carried away like Chris Fawkes with his tweets.

But yes, something is working against the stratosphere and is also preventing the MJO from progressing in the 7 and 8 phase this year.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/solar-cycle-progression

• Like 1

Posted

Hi I'm new to this forum : my name is Dennis and live in the Netherlands .I follow this very interesting forum about two years now.

Hope the winter2015 is a GREAT one - signs are hopefull

Greets Dennis

Hi Dennis, welcome to the forum. The chart you show is 300 hours plus, I don't think that's a great sign. The stratospheric warming doesn't seem to effect the troposhere in a favourite way. So in my opinion right now there aren´t any good signs.

Posted

Yes, I did see the GFS 0z run shortly after it come out but just looked at the ECM now, looking at the 10mb profile I did expect the wave 2 charts to show an increase, the EP flux prediction looks just about as poleward as ive ever seen.

fluxes.gif

The problem is that by now you would expect to see much more blocking in the extended ensembles.

pls could u post a new chart ? Gr Dennis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Hi Dennis, welcome to the forum. The chart you show is 300 hours plus, I don't think that's a great sign. The stratospheric warming doesn't seem to effect the troposhere in a favourite way. So in my opinion right now there aren´t any good signs.

The GFS Twins disagree on that.

Posted

The GFS Twins disagree on that.

Is is the strat that done it then snowman?

Would love the greeny ridge to verify and then see if we trace anything back to this weeks warming high up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

A couple of images taken from Twitter that I've asked for more info on but yet to receive a reply.

post-12721-0-33241300-1420309279_thumb.jpost-12721-0-68184400-1420309288_thumb.j

A 3.5sigma warning event over Siberia. I understand a Siberian warming event is one of the more saught after geographical locations for a stratospheric warming to occur?

Would this leave the vortex in a more favourable position in our part of the NH?

• Like 1

Posted

A couple of images taken from Twitter that I've asked for more info on but yet to receive a reply.

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

A 3.5sigma warning event over Siberia. I understand a Siberian warming event is one of the more saught after geographical locations for a stratospheric warming to occur?

Would this leave the vortex in a more favourable position in our part of the NH?

That's happening today AWD. all the forecasts predicted it and go on to rebuild the split vortex so I'm afraid not.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny days

Berlin model is acting strange. not sure whats going on. Goes from a split PV at 10hpa at 00hr

tVGiAju.gif

To a reformed PV 24 hours later. 

bIaC69D.gif

Am I missing something? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Berlin model is acting strange. not sure whats going on. Goes from a split PV at 10hpa at 00hr

tVGiAju.gif

To a reformed PV 24 hours later. 

bIaC69D.gif

Am I missing something? 

i think the bottom line is that the recent warming and wave breaking has been a fail.

although for the members that have put alot of effort into this study they pretty much said there be a warming at some point this winter and they pretty much nailed it.

as for its effects well you can see it looks like a fail this perhaps could be the back ground feed back from high solar activity possibly.

if this had happened when the sun is at its most minimum then i suspect it would have totally been a different story.

its all getting rather frustrating but its also an extremely interesting winter with i suspect a lot of extra info for learning.