Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2014/2015

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Evidence that an E-QBO does not help in the weakening of the vortex when in an El Nino phase. No significant difference in vortex strength in W-QBO or E-QBO when we have an El Nino.

http://www.eps.jhu.edu/~cig4/2008JD009920new.pdf

"In addition to the affect of ENSO on the polar stratosphere, studies have noted that the vortex is less disturbed under a WQBO at 50hPa than during an EQBO. Recently it's been found in observational data, the vortex is weaker in EQBO as compared to WQBO under CENSO and neutral ENSO but not under WENSO."

"A hint that this mechanism cannot fully resolve the question can be seen by comparing the polar cap temperature and geopotential height under WENSO/EQBO to WENSO/noQBO. Throughout the middle and upper stratosphere, the geopotential anomaly from 70°N and poleward is almost twice as large in WENSO/no QBO as in WENSO/EQBO. In the midstratosphere, the polar cap temperature anomaly in WENSO/noQBO approaches 6°C, more than twice the anomaly in WENSO/EQBO. The vortex is actually weaker, albeit not significantly, under WENSO/noQBO than WENSO/EQBO."

"The reason that the polar vortex in WENSO/EQBO is not as weak as expected is because WENSO has had different teleconnection patterns during WQBO and neutral QBO than during EQBO. The dominant teleconnection pattern to WENSO under WQBO and neutral QBO is a strengthening of the Aleutian Low, and in particular through the PNA,  WENSO/no QBO not shown), and the dominant teleconnection pattern under WENSO/EQBO is the WP and TNH. Barnston et al. [1991] reached similar conclusions on data from 1951 to 1989; they found that ENSO under WQBO tended to excite the PNA mode, whereas ENSO under EQBO tended to excite the TNH and WP modes."

"Thus, the WENSO/EQBO vortex is only slightly weakened as its tropospheric teleconnections do not reinforce the climatological wave 1 in midlatitudes. In contrast, WENSO under WQBO does have tropospheric teleconnections (namely, the PNA) that increase wave 1. Because the midlatitude wave 1 height in the troposphere is greater in WQBO than EQBO under WENSO, the difference between the polar vortex in EQBO and WQBO under WENSO is small despite the QBO’s effect on the vortex."

The W-QBO might not be the hindrance that we think it could be this winter.

Edited by Snowy L
  • Like 5

Posted

"Thus, the WENSO/EQBO vortex is only slightly weakened as its tropospheric teleconnections do not reinforce the climatological wave 1 in midlatitudes. In contrast, WENSO under WQBO does have tropospheric teleconnections (namely, the PNA) that increase wave 1. Because the midlatitude wave 1 height in the troposphere is greater in WQBO than EQBO under WENSO, the difference between the polar vortex in EQBO and WQBO under WENSO is small despite the QBO’s effect on the vortex."

The W-QBO might not be the hindrance that we think it could be this winter.

Perhaps the bit I've bolded explains why Dr Cohen was so frustrated by the failure of the waves to pack the punch he expected.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

This has to be tempered by the fact that 2009 excepted (ENSO neutral year) there has never been a SSW in winter when the solar flux has been around its current value in a wQBO

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/solar-cycle-progression

post-4523-0-95326300-1443898264_thumb.pn

from here : http://strat-www.met.fu-berlin.de/labitzke/moreqbo/MZ-Labitzke-et-al-2006.pdf

ENSO events that tend to affect the North Atlantic rely on the stratospheric pathway

http://www.columbia.edu/~lmp/paps/butler+polvani+deser-ERL-2014.pdf

What will be the overriding factor this winter - ENSO or the wQBO solar link.

A comparison of the 2009 and 2010 SSW's found here and it is a good read:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2010JD015023/full

• Like 7

Are you sure you have done your research, because 68/69 might not have a major SSW but had major strat influences :)

Many researchers consider November 1968 to be a full SSW see eg. Cohen & Jones, Charlton & Polvani, Butler & Polvani etc

For the UK at least, the coldest weather in 1962/3 and 2009/10 was before the effects of the SSW.

Incidentally, what's the link for the GPH anomaly/ao charts for earlier years (1962/3, 1968/9)?

• Like 2

They are somewhereon the CPC site, but i have lost the link. I have saved some of the graphics tho, in case I actually lose the link, since the graphics are quite useful. I have it bookmarked somewhere on my old computer, and I will eventually recover it, or at least try to recover it.

That is very interesting. 

Also because I just went over GEFS (new one), and it is actually colder than normal over tropics.

I had trawled the CPC site but without success, thanks anyway.

Regarding 10mb temperatures, it depends on definition of tropics or subtropics - if the map projection for 2002 is changed then the cold anomaly over the equator is present - http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/cgi-bin/data/composites/comp.day.pl?var=Air+Temperature&level=10mb&iy%5B1%5D=2002&im%5B1%5D=10&id%5B1%5D=20&iy%5B2%5D=&im%5B2%5D=&id%5B2%5D=&iy%5B3%5D=&im%5B3%5D=&id%5B3%5D=&iy%5B4%5D=&im%5B4%5D=&id%5B4%5D=&iy%5B5%5D=&im%5B5%5D=&id%5B5%5D=&iy%5B6%5D=&im%5B6%5D=&id%5B6%5D=&iy%5B7%5D=&im%5B7%5D=&id%5B7%5D=&iy%5B8%5D=&im%5B8%5D=&id%5B8%5D=&iy%5B9%5D=&im%5B9%5D=&id%5B9%5D=&iy%5B10%5D=&im%5B10%5D=&id%5B10%5D=&iy%5B11%5D=&im%5B11%5D=&id%5B11%5D=&iy%5B12%5D=&im%5B12%5D=&id%5B12%5D=&iy%5B13%5D=&im%5B13%5D=&id%5B13%5D=&iy%5B14%5D=&im%5B14%5D=&id%5B14%5D=&iy%5B15%5D=&im%5B15%5D=&id%5B15%5D=&iy%5B16%5D=&im%5B16%5D=&id%5B16%5D=&iy%5B17%5D=&im%5B17%5D=&id%5B17%5D=&iy%5B18%5D=&im%5B18%5D=&id%5B18%5D=&iy%5B19%5D=&im%5B19%5D=&id%5B19%5D=&iy%5B20%5D=&im%5B20%5D=&id%5B20%5D=&monr1=1&dayr1=1&monr2=1&dayr2=1&iyr%5B1%5D=&filenamein=&plotlabel=&lag=0&labelc=Color&labels=Shaded&type=2&scale=&label=0&cint=&lowr=&highr=&istate=0&proj=ALL&xlat1=&xlat2=&xlon1=&xlon2=&custproj=Cylindrical+Equidistant&level1=1000mb&level2=10mb&Submit=Create+Plot

post-2779-0-36619800-1444120322_thumb.gi

It's not clear for 1997 however - http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/cgi-bin/data/composites/comp.day.pl?var=Air+Temperature&level=10mb&iy%5B1%5D=1997&im%5B1%5D=10&id%5B1%5D=20&iy%5B2%5D=&im%5B2%5D=&id%5B2%5D=&iy%5B3%5D=&im%5B3%5D=&id%5B3%5D=&iy%5B4%5D=&im%5B4%5D=&id%5B4%5D=&iy%5B5%5D=&im%5B5%5D=&id%5B5%5D=&iy%5B6%5D=&im%5B6%5D=&id%5B6%5D=&iy%5B7%5D=&im%5B7%5D=&id%5B7%5D=&iy%5B8%5D=&im%5B8%5D=&id%5B8%5D=&iy%5B9%5D=&im%5B9%5D=&id%5B9%5D=&iy%5B10%5D=&im%5B10%5D=&id%5B10%5D=&iy%5B11%5D=&im%5B11%5D=&id%5B11%5D=&iy%5B12%5D=&im%5B12%5D=&id%5B12%5D=&iy%5B13%5D=&im%5B13%5D=&id%5B13%5D=&iy%5B14%5D=&im%5B14%5D=&id%5B14%5D=&iy%5B15%5D=&im%5B15%5D=&id%5B15%5D=&iy%5B16%5D=&im%5B16%5D=&id%5B16%5D=&iy%5B17%5D=&im%5B17%5D=&id%5B17%5D=&iy%5B18%5D=&im%5B18%5D=&id%5B18%5D=&iy%5B19%5D=&im%5B19%5D=&id%5B19%5D=&iy%5B20%5D=&im%5B20%5D=&id%5B20%5D=&monr1=1&dayr1=1&monr2=1&dayr2=1&iyr%5B1%5D=&filenamein=&plotlabel=&lag=0&labelc=Color&labels=Shaded&type=2&scale=&label=0&cint=&lowr=&highr=&istate=0&proj=ALL&xlat1=&xlat2=&xlon1=&xlon2=&custproj=Cylindrical+Equidistant&level1=1000mb&level2=10mb&Submit=Create+Plot

post-2779-0-53797000-1444120337_thumb.gi

Edited by Interitus

Posted

Not sure when the definition of the tropics and subtropics changed for the strat, but if there is a seperate official definition, I would love to hear it and use it. :)

Otherwise I will continue to use the natures own main frame definition of the main strat tropics, via the QBO variability. And by that definition, both 97 and 02 have tropics normal, to colder than normal in 02 on your charts. But certainly not warmer than normal.

176768825127844149.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

A staggeringly informative post from Tamara... I was in the background last winter and followed the strat. developments every step of the way. I even began to grasp what AAM is and how mountain torque events drive large changes (and frictional torque events smaller ones).

Reading about the positive QBO, Snowy L's post on the previous page of this thread highlighted the possibility that the westerly QBO could actually correlate with a slightly weaker vortex when occuring within an El Nino configuration. So I wonder how that might interact with solar activity?

I do see the low Arctic sea ice as a significant factor this winter, as the high-latitude temps and moisture levels (hence latent heat amounts) are so very much higher than during the strong El Nino events of past. Curiously, I had a glance at years with similar sea ice minimums to this year and they tend to feature a prominent high latitude blocking signal in January, following not much of a signal in December and with February a sort of vague high/mid-lat blocking merger.

Here's the January pattern. Not a lot of years behind it of course but interesting nonetheless.

Jans%20Following%20Sea%20Ice%20Min%20Nea

Edited by Singularity
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Tamara, a short one for me but I agree with a lot that you say! I am in winter research mode trying to gather as much info as possible at this time. Here is a paper that I came across last night and mentioned on twitter - it helps with the suggested winter wave pattern ( predominately an increased stationary wave 1 expected over NP/ America this winter) I only have the abstract to link to but you should find it useful.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00382-015-2797-5

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Here's a question for the big-brains on here;

Ex-hurricane Oho is currently on its way to Alaska as what will soon be a powerful ex-tropical system. Next week, another system has the potential to track right up to the high-latitudes as well (again, ex-tropical by that time). Such behaviour was seen last year but before then only once since 1949 (according to Jeff Masters via http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=3150).

So my question is, what sort of impacts could this have in the troposphere and, more importantly wrt to this thread, could there be effects on the stratosphere as well? Would I be right in thinking that strat. impacts depend largely on whether the relatively warm air associated with the system encounters high land or some other forcing to lift it upward?

Many thanks in advance for your response, I look forward to reading what you have to say  :good:

• Like 4

Posted

According to the EUROSIP from september a Central Based El Nino will be established this winter. I think Chio you should take this in account :)

Latest EC seasonal

The new ECMWF forecast is basically a Nov to Jan blowtorch type pattern for northern US and Europe. Feb is typical but nothing special From https://twitter.com/antmasiello

post-10577-0-04634000-1444386210_thumb.p

Edited by sebastiaan1973

Posted

According to the EUROSIP from september a Central Based El Nino will be established this winter. :)

Is that Modukoo? Meant to bring colder Winters to NW Europe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

According to the EUROSIP from september a Central Based El Nino will be established this winter. I think Chio you should take this in account :)

Latest EC seasonal

The new ECMWF forecast is basically a Nov to Jan blowtorch type pattern for northern US and Europe. Feb is typical but nothing special From https://twitter.com/antmasiello

I think it's a given (as much as it possibly can be with weather) that the northern USA will have a warm winter. However, I think the European pattern is less clear cut. It's entirely possible that the European mainland (esp southern and central) has a very mild winter whilst N&NW Europe goes cold. It's hard to say anything without actually seeing the model output.

I know the Glosea had a co-existing N Atlantic high and a Med high.....pretty much a slim corridor of NW colder than average.....

The more I see/read, the more I'm comfortable with Simon Keeling's idea of a NW/SE split but with the jet slightly further S. Frequent LP incursions with snow on the NW flank of the depressions and the coldest weather found generally to the NW of the UK. As ever time will tell.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

intresting that the met office are going for a cooler winter.

but plenty of post popping up regarding the enso state being record breaking for many years will this reduce the odds on a warming event ?.

are ssw events rare during el nino events ?

and could the plumet in solar activity help aid strat warming.

and would early wave events help in a less intense vortex and help aid a warming event.

Edited by emotional rollercoaster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

intresting that the met office are going for a cooler winter.

but plenty of post popping up regarding the enso state being record breaking for many years will this reduce the odds on a warming event ?.

are ssw events rare during el nino events ?

and could the plumet in solar activity help aid strat warming.

and would early wave events help in a less intense vortex and help aid a warming event.

We just don't know. Though one thing is for sure, the GFS strat forecasts at present take us into different waters than we've been in over the last few years. The last few years have generally plunged us into average or below average strat temps during November and sure enough we've seen some pretty rampant vortex configurations. I think it was GP that said earlier on in the week that this year looks different stratospherically already...

• Like 1

Posted

Please notice the difference between CB El Nino and Eastern Based El Nino.

The famous El Nino's of 1982/3 and 1997/1998 were east based El Nino's while 2009/10 was east based El Nino.

Seems to me that El Nino is becoming more Central Based in the coming weeks. We have to wait and see, what happens.

post-10577-0-85325100-1444484303_thumb.p

post-10577-0-31969100-1444484315_thumb.p

post-10577-0-56908800-1444484377_thumb.g

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Please notice the difference between CB El Nino and Eastern Based El Nino.

The famous El Nino's of 1982/3 and 1997/1998 were east based El Nino's while 2009/10 was east based El Nino.

Seems to me that El Nino is becoming more Central Based in the coming weeks. We have to wait and see, what happens.

It's possible that the core of the heat will move to region 3.4 from 1.2 however its a near 100% certainty that 1.2 will stay sufficiently warm that its a basin wide rather than west based event.

• Like 1