Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

According to Paul 'the legend' Hudson, there could be some thundersnow within this region. Risk remains throughout tomorrow too with a mixture of sleet and snow about anywhere. Elevation will obviously help with the snow.

Posting in the Lincs thread as I've crossed the boundary into Market Deeping tonight!

Good luck to all!

Posted

Temp hovering between 0.4 and 0.8c for the last few hours. Should stay like that in clear skies. Pennies ate that band coming in from the NW, so another miss for Sheffield. Hopefully will clip Chesterfield. Keep an eye on that band in Scotland. Still sticking with my earlier prediction although hope to be wrong! I'll be off work in the morning :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Well just got in after being out since 4pm. Tiniest new dusting here lol. Bloody pennines have struck again like last night and killed this band of showers over the past hour! grrrrr!

Still some heavy stuff pushing out of Scotland atm, hopefully itl make it and give us a surprise to wake up to. You never know :p

Luckily the snow survived todays sun and slow melt. Not really lost any depth. Thats the 'warmest' day gone now with arctic air arriving through tomorrow and lasting well into next week. maxes from here in up here should be 1 or 2c so should have this around for a while :D Im still hoping we get to add to it over the coming days ;)

Edited by Winter Cold

Posted

Last snow event for me for tomorrow morning  :nonono:  so won't be posting on here after tomorrow.

Took the last two months of so stayed up in Leeds near family etc. Will be based in central London, anyone who knows London will know living in Westminster is not ideal for snow... ever. 

Fortunately I'm free to travel with work so will be making sure I go to all the snowy countries, want to experience a big snow storm in North America so will try and experience that and really want to experience a snow event in Japan. Work pays for me to go where I want providing I have a reason. 

Will come up to Yorkshire if there's a big March 22nd 2013 type snow event. 

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Last snow event for me for tomorrow morning  :nonono:  so won't be posting on here after tomorrow.

Took the last two months of so stayed up in Leeds near family etc. Will be based in central London, anyone who knows London will know living in Westminster is not ideal for snow... ever. 

Fortunately I'm free to travel with work so will be making sure I go to all the snowy countries, want to experience a big snow storm in North America so will try and experience that and really want to experience a snow event in Japan. Work pays for me to go where I want providing I have a reason. 

Will come up to Yorkshire if there's a big March 22nd 2013 type snow event. 

What on earth do you do? :O

• Like 1

Posted

What on earth do you do? :O

Brand Ambassador.

There's basic BA work that you can do in the UK with a bunch of agencies but I work direct for the companies and cut out the agencies so if Samsung for example have a big event in LA I'd go out to there. As long as there is some event on for a company I can go wherever. Based in India alot because its nice weather and I enjoy the culture. 

Posted

Best of luck CR, I'm sure this thread will miss your input! However, at least when I'm back in the SE/EA, you'll be there! :D (It isn't that great in there... You'll probably miss this one! :p)

• Like 1

Posted

Best of luck CR, I'm sure this thread will miss your input! However, at least when I'm back in the SE/EA, you'll be there! :D (It isn't that great in there... You'll probably miss this one! :p)

Thanks!

Yeah the SE is horrendous for snow I don't even bother with the forum once I'm in London. I didn't see my first frost till mid December and that was up where you are funnily enough (st Albans). Had the joy of getting fined £20 for travelling out of the oyster zone without a valid ticket, would help if there was a tanoy that notified you of this. Apparently its common to get fined at St Albans, any excuse for TFL to make more money. Tried to pretend I was foreign and new to London didn't make a difference lol! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Just had a light snow shower here left a sugar coating. Temp raised from -0.8c to 0.1c

Posted

Thanks!

Yeah the SE is horrendous for snow I don't even bother with the forum once I'm in London. I didn't see my first frost till mid December and that was up where you are funnily enough (st Albans). Had the joy of getting fined £20 for travelling out of the oyster zone without a valid ticket, would help if there was a tanoy that notified you of this. Apparently its common to get fined at St Albans, any excuse for TFL to make more money. Tried to pretend I was foreign and new to London didn't make a difference lol! 

Haha, hopefully next time you're in St Albans you receive a friendlier reception! (Implementing Oyster there was cancelled by the Gov, but we might be getting it in the next few years! 

London will probably struggle for snow, but apart from last winter, areas around London have normally done pretty well... I'm sure you'll see some down that way!

• Like 1

Posted

Haha, hopefully next time you're in St Albans you receive a friendlier reception! (Implementing Oyster there was cancelled by the Gov, but we might be getting it in the next few years!

London will probably struggle for snow, but apart from last winter, areas around London have normally done pretty well... I'm sure you'll see some down that way!

I'd like to add London is a huge place, I am not far off from central London but being in the suburban residential area with greenery woodlands & parks, it is usually 2-3C colder here sometimes more, London is not terrible for snow when the synoptic is good it will snow. I had a moderate snow shower yesterday, never lasted long. But in my time London has had some good snow events not too common, but they do come.

Edited by Daniel*

Posted

According to Paul 'the legend' Hudson, there could be some thundersnow within this region. Risk remains throughout tomorrow too with a mixture of sleet and snow about anywhere. Elevation will obviously help with the snow.

Posting in the Lincs thread as I've crossed the boundary into Market Deeping tonight!

Good luck to all!

Do you think mid-south Lincs should be absorbed into a separate East Mids thread? Midlands thread is too big and general. Market Deeping/Stamford is only 25 miles NE of here and Peterborough even closer, yet we could be posting in 3 separate regional discussions with people over a hundred miles away!

Posted

yes Saint, im watching that wide area moving south from the north. Looks good atm, but who knows when it approaches the pennines. Its killed everything so far over the past few hours!

It could give us a covering though :)

Posted

yes Saint, im watching that wide area moving south from the north. Looks good atm, but who knows when it approaches the pennines. Its killed everything so far over the past few hours!

It could give us a covering though :)

With it moving due south, hopefully the Pennines don't have as much of an effect.

And, last night's snow wasn't damaged by the Pennines, it was more caused by the winds veering further southwards straight from the north around Yorks... So with this moving straight down the country, things might work out better. :)

Posted

With it moving due south, hopefully the Pennines don't have as much of an effect.

And, last night's snow wasn't damaged by the Pennines, it was more caused by the winds veering further southwards straight from the north around Yorks... So with this moving straight down the country, things might work out better. :)

I hope so then, its moving at a nice pace so shouldnt be too long hopefully! It looks like another epic fail on the forecast though lol, no mention on TV or web forecasts for heavy snow in SW midlands tonight or this main band moving out of scotland as far as I can see. I guess it just shows you that once cold is in, we do indeed get many surprises to enjoy in the end :)

Posted

I'd like to add London is a huge place, I am not far off from central London but being in the suburban residential area with greenery woodlands & parks, it is usually 2-3C colder here sometimes more, London is not terrible for snow when the synoptic is good it will snow. I had a moderate snow shower yesterday, never lasted long. But in my time London has had some good snow events not too common, but they do come.

Alright for some but living right in the centre and down the road from the Thames doesn't help.

I don't even get why there is such a big urban heat island, alot of London is relatively low-rise. It's only really the City and Canary wharfe that has some big buildings.

Makes you realise how horrendous the UK is for snow when you consider New York Manhaton can easily see 20cm and no one bats an eyelid, despite probably having the warmest heat island in the world. Manhaton is essentially an island right by the east coast.

Yet 15cm in central London is classed as a one in 20 year event. There hasn't even been 10cm in central London since the Thames streamer of February 2009.

I hate London.

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

Sleet here at the moment at about 70m asl. Snow line is probably 100m-150m, although that's not a guarantee.

With colder air coming back through again tomorrow night, I hope no one who missed out on a dusting tonight worries too much. Tonight's unforecast PPN (giving a fair bit of snow) around the UK proves that anything is possible once you've got the cold. :)

• Like 2

Posted

Yes same super exciting looked out the window to see roads covered!!!

Posted

Make sure to say goodbye to the Yorkshire snow! :laugh:

Blah blah blah blah 

Judging by the GFS South East is the place to be at T147 -10 uppers over south east England poor old Leeds sees it clipping just about.

Posted

Blah blah blah blah 

Judging by the GFS South East is the place to be at T147 -10 uppers over south east England poor old Leeds sees it clipping just about.

T-147....

Clutching at straws in terms of how far away it still is then....  :wink:

• Like 1

Posted

Yeah but we all know London is long overdue deep snow, no doubt a streamer to rival the depths seen in Boston will occur.

Edited by Cheese Rice