Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

To be fair the charts looked better for my location on wednesday night for snow when all I got was rain/sleet. Yet when we was supposed to get rain/sleet thursday we got heavy accumulating snow??

I wouldn't pay too much attention to exact details, as always will be marginal but the risk is certainly there :)

• Like 1

Posted

To be fair the charts looked better for my location on wednesday night for snow when all I got was rain/sleet. Yet when we was supposed to get rain/sleet thursday we got heavy accumulating snow??

I wouldn't pay too much attention to exact details, as always will be marginal but the risk is certainly there :)

Agreed, I just wouldn't get your hopes up for tonight ;)

• Like 1

Posted

Yes but the 7am shows even less snow.

Don't pay too much attention to weather it shows rain/snow. Rain/snow maps are usually wrong. I was just highlighting the fact that there is to be some significant precipitation tommorow morning for most and I think there could be snow in places.

Posted

On a more positive note the latest Gfs shows increasingly cold uppers and winds veering ne will drive in snow showers across the region from Tuesday on wards, particularly towards the eastern side of the region 

Don't pay too much attention to weather it shows rain/snow. Rain/snow maps are usually wrong. I was just highlighting the fact that there is to be some significant precipitation tommorow morning for most and I think there could be snow in places.

Which i agree with, but you said the gfs shows snow for all the region which is misleading for many as this is not what it shows. 

Posted

Cheers for the mention Vizzy! ;)

I'm hopeful that the cold spell is finally going to swing in our favour. Meto warnings cover us from Sunday through to Tuesday. 

We'll probably do better Sunday and Monday with a more NNW wind which should reduce modification. Tuesday at the moment I would expect more sleet at the coast as the wind veers more NE. 

Dew points look favourable from early hours Sunday morning, right to the coast. 

post-10637-0-10095400-1422634431_thumb.g

850hpa temps at -7/-8C from Sunday, I usually find -7C does it here on the coast in a Northerly. 

post-10637-0-71717200-1422634912_thumb.g

For those concerned about Mobile apps such as METO and BBC. Matt Hugo reminded us the other day in a tweet that the forecasts are made up from Raw model data and will change each time a model run updates. There is also no forecaster input into these so they are wildly innacurate. (Thankfully, as only rain and sleet forecast here on the apps!).

I find it best to read the text forecast, warnings, BBC forecasts and input on here and UKWF. 

Cracking sunrise this morning too, shame I didn't have my proper camera and time to get to the clifftops! 

post-10637-0-51662900-1422635133_thumb.j

An exciting few days ahead! 

• Like 1

Posted

NMM less inclined for heavier precipitation, just a fragmented band pushing south. Probably a dusting, should it fall as snow. Although given the lightness i reckon it could be sleety for most away from decent elevation (thats if it makes it). NMM been quite good for the last few events. 

nmm-1-16-0.png?30-18

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

NMM less inclined for heavier precipitation, just a fragmented band pushing south. Probably a dusting, should it fall as snow. Although given the lightness i reckon it could be sleety for most away from decent elevation (thats if it makes it). NMM been quite good for the last few events. 

nmm-1-16-0.png?30-18

The latest NMM 2km, shows it heavier on its eastern flank, patchier towards the west. I think myself included and those with little elevation towards the coast will see rain/sleet, but over Moors/Wolds above 200m could be some accumulations. You chaps in the south and west are more likely to see snow especially with elevation albeit lighter and patchier precip.

nmm_uk1-1-16-2.png?30-17

Posted

The latest NMM 2km, shows it heavier on its eastern flank, patchier towards the west. I think myself included and those with little elevation towards the coast will see rain/sleet, but over Moors/Wolds above 200m could be some accumulations. You chaps in the south and west are more likely to see snow especially with elevation albeit lighter and patchier precip.

Hadn't seen that. The higher res. model does indeed have heavier precipitation towards the coast. I think the North York moors could see a couple of cm's from that, although at lowers levels (i'd agree with 200m less) it could be more sleety. Inland (i.e. West and South Yorkshire) will either see nothing, to a dusting (sleety at sea level)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

I looked at the Met Office f/cast for the east coast today...warnings of snow, heavy at times from Sun to Wed with NNE winds, so i got quite optimistic, then i watched the BBC f/cast for the same period, no snow in east, NWly winds and High pressure moving in by Mon bringing milder air...!!??

Posted

I looked at the Met Office f/cast for the east coast today...warnings of snow, heavy at times from Sun to Wed with NNE winds, so i got quite optimistic, then i watched the BBC f/cast for the same period, no snow in east, NWly winds and High pressure moving in by Mon bringing milder air...!!??

Not the forecast I heard on the radio about half an hour ago?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Anyone noticed that development near Edinburgh?

That's the precip for tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

That's the precip for tonight.

Hes a tad early, NMM shows it arrive here 4-6am tomorrow. Looks like it could arrive by midnight!

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Hes a tad early, NMM shows it arrive here 4-6am tomorrow. Looks like it could arrive by midnight!

Nah its slow moving, which is good as it means more snow when it gets here.

Posted

Not the forecast I heard on the radio about half an hour ago?

I kind of get the despondency! Just watched the BBC forecasts, national and Hudson. It looked very underwhelming with mainly rain showing apart from the NYM. Hudson finished by saying something like showers continuing Sunday and Monday. No mention of snow, just on NYM and Wolds.

I recall plenty of forecasts in Northerlies though where Hudson has been wrong, forecast rain and we've had a right dumping. (Not mentioning the "wintry showers" that have just dumped inches of the stuff in West / South Yorks!)

None of the forecasts iv'e seen tie in with the Metoffice warnings which state snow, even to low levels.

From my limited experience looking at the charts snow is possible down to the coast from Sunday morning as i posted above. Today and tomorrow we were pretty much always due to be in the mild sector so anything tomorrow is a bonus.

Edited by PMPhotography

Posted

I kind of get the despondency! Just watched the BBC forecasts, national and Hudson. It looked very underwhelming with mainly rain showing apart from the NYM. Hudson finished by saying something like showers continuing Sunday and Monday. No mention of snow, just on NYM and Wolds.

I recall plenty of forecasts in Northerlies though where Hudson has been wrong, forecast rain and we've had a right dumping. (Not mentioning the "wintry showers" that have just dumped inches of the stuff in West / South Yorks!)

None of the forecasts iv'e seen tie in with the Metoffice warnings which state snow, even to low levels.

From my limited experience looking at the charts snow is possible down to the coast from Sunday morning as i posted above. Today and tomorrow we were pretty much always due to be in the mild sector so anything tomorrow is a bonus.

Oh well looks like the warnings may be altered tomorrow then. Shame I was looking forward to a bit of snow. 

Posted

The METO warnings are more reliable, and have been better this winter in terms of accuracy. 

Both the national and local forecasts have struggled with the past few snow falls up here, so why take them as being accurate now? :)

• Like 1

Posted

Oh well looks like the warnings may be altered tomorrow then. Shame I was looking forward to a bit of snow. 

I'm a bit more optimistic! The warnings have been steady for 3 days now and today have included tuesday. As i said aswell 850hpa temps below -7C, dew point forecasts below freezing. I know there are other variables but I think it looks promising! 

Tomorrows going to be wet mind, though i wouldn't be surprised to see some temporary accumulations looking at the intensity of the showers.... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Looking at the latest radar for 7.30, the band of snow over the borders already looks to be fragmenting. Earlier I thought this could give a reasonable amount to us later tonight but now its not looking so promising, Maybe Hudson will be right for once, although I hope not.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: I love the seasonal periods of the year, ( in their extremes - of course ).

Are the showers to our west going to make it across the region & be of Snow OR a sleety mix ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Just had a snow shower.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Are the showers to our west going to make it across the region & be of Snow OR a sleety mix ?

I'd say they will but as they are heading south east then only south yorkshire/north derbyshire will be in line rather than west yorkshire. Probably snow at higher levels with sleet at lower levels.

Edited by SouthYorks