Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay its snowing hahaha :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

The models will be quite volatile over this period. But there's no denying the output is horrendous on this morning runs.

I'm assuming that's horrendous as in wall to wall SW winds with endless lashing rain and temps above average ? As opposed to horrendous as in three days of nailed on cold to very cold temperatures, wintry showers and the possibility of something unexpected cropping up in the unstable Arctic sourced airmass, followed by (as is currently modelled), 3-4 days of predominantly at least -5 hpa uppers, with the potential for unexpected troughs to pop up at any time ??? (that's for this region of course, rather than the SE, hence the tone/mood of the Model thread currently)

Edited by Pennine Ten Foot Drifts
  • Like 2

Posted

faith is fully restored now and will stay that way, the fact it is snowing proves a lot of other peoples points that things can happen without it being forecast :) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

My bbc weather app says heavy snow all day tommorow. Can't see it to be honest.

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

The 'front' that is currently over Scotland, is the one that should hit his tonight, and it looks very intense.

Could be an interesting night.

Posted

The 'front' that is currently over Scotland, is the one that should hit his tonight, and it looks very intense.

Could be an interesting night.

where are you expecting it to hit within our region, and do we know what time it looks like reaching us currently :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Met & BBC show heavy snow for a time tonight, and again tomorrow night. They also show sleet during the day but we'll see about that.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

hey up some snow around. Web cams at home got covered in the stuff briefly. Didn't settle though on the ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

where are you expecting it to hit within our region, and do we know what time it looks like reaching us currently :)

West side. Will be massively nuttered once it gets over to the east side of the Pennines.

Its really slow moving, which is what the fax charts were showing it to do i.e. sort of stall over us.

edit: this mornings show it does move by morning to be over the east side -

PPVE89.gif?31415

Edited by cowdog

Posted

so could maybe clip areas of south yorkshire that are further west, or have i misunderstood lol 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

Had rain showers here earlier...temp 4.5degC so not expecting anything wintry yet...and the f/cast doesn't look promising for our region either...it's even 5degC and raining in Helsinki...!!

• Like 1

Posted

I'm assuming that's horrendous as in wall to wall SW winds with endless lashing rain and temps above average ? As opposed to horrendous as in three days of nailed on cold to very cold temperatures, wintry showers and the possibility of something unexpected cropping up in the unstable Arctic sourced airmass, followed by (as is currently modelled), 3-4 days of predominantly at least -5 hpa uppers, with the potential for unexpected troughs to pop up at any time ??? (that's for this region of course, rather than the SE, hence the tone/mood of the Model thread currently)

The model output discussion is usually around 3-4 days onwards. I've bigged up the current PM flow on this thread yesterday and on the model thread continously. And the tone/mood is still representative of the outlook. We've gone from a slider low bringing copious amounts of snow followed by an Easterly to the Atlantic returning.

Again, as I already said the model output is very volatile in these situations so can easily flip in our favour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

The model output discussion is usually around 3-4 days onwards. I've bigged up the current PM flow on this thread yesterday and on the model thread continously. And the tone/mood is still representative of the outlook. We've gone from a slider low bringing copious amounts of snow followed by an Easterly to the Atlantic returning.

Again, as I already said the model output is very volatile in these situations so can easily flip in our favour.

OK, maybe the extended outlook, and in comparison to what was shown (near enough in FI) a day or two ago. But that still doesn't affect the fact we, in this region, have nearly a week of temperatures and conditions where snowfall is a distinct posibility, and frosts etc are almost a certainty. Perhaps from around T144 onwards things aren't looking so promising just now, but as you rightly say, "these situations so can easily flip in our favour", especially at that range given the current overall rather disturbed state of things. So as I say, I don't think 'horrendous' sums up where we are at all, certainly not in the reliable timeframe anyway.

Posted

OK, maybe the extended outlook, and in comparison to what was shown (near enough in FI) a day or two ago. But that still doesn't affect the fact we, in this region, have nearly a week of temperatures and conditions where snowfall is a distinct posibility, and frosts etc are almost a certainty. Perhaps from around T144 onwards things aren't looking so promising just now, but as you rightly say, "these situations so can easily flip in our favour", especially at that range given the current overall rather disturbed state of things. So as I say, I don't think 'horrendous' sums up where we are at all, certainly not in the reliable timeframe anyway.

Oh absolutely.

Even if we don't end up with a slider/Easterly we shold see substantial falls tonight. And if we see settled conditions taking hold it'll be bitterly cold, pulling up cold surface winds from continental Europe.

More just a case of what could have been. Going by the 6z output we have gone from a memorable/exceptional cold spell to a good cold spell (relatively speaking).

Edited by Cheese Rice
  • Like 1

Posted

Look at those showers packing into the north west, I fancy a fair few making it to north/west yorkshire and with temps of around 0C or below I fancy these to be 100% snow with quick accumulations where the showers are heavy, won't be suprised to see a light covering by morning : ) 

Posted

Significant accumulations likely!

is that just leeds and west placed areas though, or does my area have a shot at all, sorry to bug with IMBY questions, but i want to be giddy haha :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Hope your right Cheese Rice. We need those showers to come in and keep going all night..... I suppose its possible but will just have to see what we wake up to

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

As usual in this situation some places will receive a good covering while a few miles down road will be lucky to see a dusting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

No one posts on here any more from My part of Lincolnshire. Will I get any? Or am i too Far East?

I can't see Lincs seeing much from a flow from North West. Your time will come over next few days I should think.  :good: