Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Clouded over from the north in the past 30 minutes no precipitation shown on the radar yet plus its too warm for snow anyway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

Thanks for replying, must admit I'm dreading the drive, friday rush our is not my friend!!

Should be fine by then can really see any issues if any snow does fall its likely to be in the next day or so and nothing more than a dusting for lower levels in our region by the end of the week high pressure is likely to be moving in settling things down

Posted

Bit of road advice please, if there is a better place to put this please point me in the right direction. I'm meant to be taking the kids to Liverpool for the weekend on friday, hoping to leave by 1.30 PM to try and miss most of the rush hour, what weather is expected between here and there, are any of the roads expected to be bad? Not sure which route to take or if anywhere along the way has had a lot of snow that might hinder me. Thanks :)

If you go the google approved route over the Pennines by M62 there won't be any problems.

Can't rule out icy back roads at bothe ends especially early an late in the day.

It would be a memorable ride to go A66 then M6 if you have a bit more time, but be aware there is the chance of blowing snow up there even if we get no more.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

the dp are above zero for a good part of the region which is probably the reason for rain/sleet here its currently +1 temp is 3c so can only see rain anyway, what are the dp forecast to be later does anybody know

Posted

Showers starting to develop inland now

UntitledvTR.png

If no snow falls in the next day or so I think we can pretty much write any more off till at least mid month looking at the models

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Hail at the moment. Met office have rain till midnight then snow from then onwards until mid morning. What do we think?

Looking like rain/sleet to snow event especially away from coasts but even here there could be snow. Aberdeen recorded rain this afternoon but were recently reporting heavy snow showers. Dew points and temps are set to fall in our region 9pm onwards as the colder 850hpa approach from the north. That brisk NNEasterly might scupper snow chances on the coastline.

Edited by NL

Posted

Hail at the moment. Met office have rain till midnight then snow from then onwards until mid morning. What do we think?

Unless the snow is heavy and prolonged we can forget about it sticking the ground is too wet now for light stuff sticking

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

yep heavy rain in darlo just as i suspected. There is some wet sleet mixed in with it though as i can testify as i have been driving in it but it is mainly just pure rain. Let this cool spell end now!! :wallbash:

Posted

Had a snow shower here about 3pm which was followed by some sleet and drizzle.

Seems to be another one of those warmer sectors passing over the region at the moment which has raised temps.and dew points a touch.

post-2839-0-03615300-1422985998_thumb.gi

Looks to pass over quite quickly though,and then we have sub-zero dew points and -8 upper air for the rest of the night so showers should become much more wintry again.

• Like 1

Posted

Well,that was a brief but potent snow shower and i'm impressed how quickly conditions changed from 4c and drizzly sleet to proper snow and settling.

Bodes well for the rest of the night.

Posted

Shower activity looks to be picking up. Latest fax charts show a front followed by a couple of troughs in the flow if im ready them right. Feels colder now, not sure if cold enough though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

I was actually considering a66 then m6 purely because there are restrictions and a lot of roadworks on the m62 and figured id be on the m62 for rush hour and thought it might take me forever. Put off a66 for the reasons you said, worried about any adverse weather effects. Ah decisions decisions!

If you go the google approved route over the Pennines by M62 there won't be any problems.

Can't rule out icy back roads at bothe ends especially early an late in the day.

It would be a memorable ride to go A66 then M6 if you have a bit more time, but be aware there is the chance of blowing snow up there even if we get no more.