Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Still patchy snow around this morning. Cold, :)

• Like 1

Posted

There was a slight thaw earlier, but now the drips and the snow falling off the small branches has stopped and the sky has gone a colour I would associate with snow, however the showers on the radar are shown far south of us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Currently 2c here, and plenty of showers, all unfortunately of

Rain, must be some milder uppers, about three hours of snowfall

Last night with an aprox covering of about 4cm, ice will be the

next concern

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Currently 2c here, and plenty of showers, all unfortunately of

Rain, must be some milder uppers, about three hours of snowfall

Last night with an aprox covering of about 4cm, ice will be the

next concern

C.S

I'm truly perplexed as to how everywhere in the vicinity got lying snow except for here. Even Liverpool had accumulations. I just don't understand but hey ho!

Posted

Pleased to hear many in the south of the region saw some snow yesterday, alas we were just too far north, still the fells are lovely and white.

A cold start to the day, bright skies and a light frost. Has clouded over recently, but only slim chance of a wintry shower. Tonight will see a widespread hard frost, and the next couple of days at least promise some excellent winter walking weather, with freezing levels remaining close to valley level - a much better Christmas-new year period than the last 3 which were complete washouts.

• Like 1

Posted

All those showers to the west and southwest of the region are of rain/sleet? Now I am glad they miss

I came home at 5am from a night out and there was no frost or ice. It is pathetic when in a cold spell in late December you can't even get a frost! That should hopefully change tonight and tomorrow night.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Turned quite misty here over the last couple of hours although it seems to be clearing now with a bit of blue sky starting to show through again.

Closest we've come to an ice day though, maximum 1.6c, currently 1.2c and hardly any breeze at all.

Hopefully skies will clear tonight and we get temperatures well below freezing and that may just be enough to give us an ice day tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

I Haven't seen one flake of snow all year :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

The best time to get a cold/snowy spell is undoubtedly now. By the time we get to the end of Jan snow wont settle at this altitude for very long. March 2013 was horrific here....bone numbingly cold but snow just wouldn't settle as any sun during the day warmed the surfaces too much....I just remember it being wet and cold whilst places 100m higher were plastered in the stuff!

Last night I actually went to bed depressed and deflated, a mixture of endless dirge in the models and no lying snow yesterday. For the first time I'm seriously thinking of moving house based on weather preference. I need a weather fix and I just can't get it here. In 26 years I've never seen more than 10cm of accumulated snow.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Meto Office have a warning for snow for regions east of the Pennines overnight as the wind swings into more of an E/NE direction.

It's a shame that there isn't a bit more strength to them as we usually do ok from an Easterly and certainly, as today has proved yet again, better than we do from a NW or NNW flow.

Posted

The best time to get a cold/snowy spell is undoubtedly now. By the time we get to the end of Jan snow wont settle at this altitude for very long. March 2013 was horrific here....bone numbingly cold but snow just wouldn't settle as any sun during the day warmed the surfaces too much....I just remember it being wet and cold whilst places 100m higher were plastered in the stuff!

Last night I actually went to bed depressed and deflated, a mixture of endless dirge in the models and no lying snow yesterday. For the first time I'm seriously thinking of moving house based on weather preference. I need a weather fix and I just can't get it here. In 26 years I've never seen more than 10cm of accumulated snow.

I also feel like that sometimes but moving to a different country would be even better for snow and cold.

• Like 1

Posted

Meto Office have a warning for snow for regions east of the Pennines overnight as the wind swings into more of an E/NE direction.

It's a shame that there isn't a bit more strength to them as we usually do ok from an Easterly and certainly, as today has proved yet again, better than we do from a NW or NNW flow.

I think with a more potent NW/NNW flow certainly for my area (a good 20 miles SE of you) always brings better snowfall prospects for me.  NW winds are only 8mph today very much a token gesture.  Alas as you rightly say, I think we'll be on the wrong side of the Pennines for anything to sprinkle the fairy dust overnight.

Great walking weather today though, glad the showers have been kept at bay if they were anything other than snow-laden.  The little snow that did fall as kept solid on the grassy hollows and fields.

Posted

I think with a more potent NW/NNW flow certainly for my area (a good 20 miles SE of you) always brings better snowfall prospects for me.  NW winds are only 8mph today very much a token gesture.  Alas as you rightly say, I think we'll be on the wrong side of the Pennines for anything to sprinkle the fairy dust overnight.

Great walking weather today though, glad the showers have been kept at bay if they were anything other than snow-laden.  The little snow that did fall as kept solid on the grassy hollows and fields.

Yeah your probably right that a more potent NW flow would help push the showers further inland but as you said, you are a little bit further south than me and tend to be more in the firing line.

From an IMBY perspective, it's just a shame that the W/NW set up from a couple of weeks back didn't arrive with cold enough uppers as the amount of cold rain and sleet which fell would have been phenomenal if all snow.

I'm not expecting anything from the showers coming across from the east tonight but after what seems like a lifetime of downgrades, it would be nice for an occasional upgrade.

Temperature is falling back now.

Currently 0.6c with a dew point of -0.7c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Temps dropped here from 4.5 to 3.5 and clouding a bit after a murky dark day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Just went to Bolton today and I saw thick snow cover on Winter Hill. I think its 2 inches deep. Its getting dark and very cold already here with some frost forming.

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Already -0.5c here, gonna be a cold one tonight

Posted

Already -0.5c here, gonna be a cold one tonight

Yes we are down to -1c and could well be looking at the coldest night of the winter and probably the coldest since March 2013.

I can't remember the exact figure we reached then but I recorded nothing lower than -3.5c last winter with the lowest this time around standing at -3c.

I also didn't see a sub zero daytime max last winter and I feel that, given a cold enough start we could get one of those tomorrow.

Posted

Yes we are down to -1c and could well be looking at the coldest night of the winter and probably the coldest since March 2013.

I hope it is the coldest night of the winter so far , otherwise it will be another sad winter.

• Like 2

Posted

The rain radar shows ppn heading this way in a NEly direction, but as others have already said don't expect much snow if any to be left to fall this side of the Pennines

Posted

The rain radar shows ppn heading this way in a NEly direction, but as others have already said don't expect much snow if any to be left to fall this side of the Pennines

Temperature -1.3c with a dew point of -2.1c so if it can escape from West Yorkshire anything which falls should be snow.

Can't see it happening though but I'm happy to be completely wrong.