Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Welcome to my world  ....we are well into the 3rd consecutive winter here with not even a flake falling :)

Feel your pain,to some extent. I live East Manchester with 150asl. I have seen snow falling at some point in all of the last 3 winters but not had any stick.

Had so many relatives texting me and sending me picks last night of all their snow, as they know I'm snow obsessed.

It's such torment

I guess I'm just too close to the city centre.

Posted

I hope it is the coldest night of the winter so far , otherwise it will be another sad winter.

What a daft comment.

Manchester has already recorded minima 4 times this December that were lower than any minima from last winter.

Further to that we still got the whole of January and February to go.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

We've got a bit of spare snow in Bacup if anyone wants it.

It's pre owned and some of it may be a bit yellow but it's free to a good home if you're willing to collect.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Cold and frosty outside.

Ive watched many of these, camera faces WNW? noticed how the clouds towards the end started to move from the NE

Posted

Feel your pain,to some extent. I live East Manchester with 150asl. I have seen snow falling at some point in all of the last 3 winters but not had any stick.

Had so many relatives texting me and sending me picks last night of all their snow, as they know I'm snow obsessed.

It's such torment

I guess I'm just too close to the city centre.

If It's any consolation, you always seem to do better for accumulations than us down the road in Stockport, we had no lying snow in March 2013, yet there was a fair bit in and around Ashton when I went.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Patchy snow outside still, probably a couple of cm still on the grass. Was a thaw today, helped on by some light sleet showers in the morning. Not been a very sunny day either, and now the frosts aren't looking particularly harsh. Another poor cold spell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Welcome to my world  ....we are well into the 3rd consecutive winter here with not even a flake falling :)

Its astonishingly poor like isn't it, im convinced we are as snowless as the south coast who even got more than me in 2009 and 2010, in terms of showers and troughs we get nowt from northerlies, nowt from north easterlies, we sometimes get catch a moderate shower if its a full on beasterly with 50mph gusts blowing them over the pennines and lake district, again with a south easterly has to be a 1 in 50 year event, never witnessed a cold southerly although if it did happen would the showers make there way to cumbria? nope, southwesterlies seas too warm, westerlies seas too warm, north westerlys we normally get a couple of showers in the early stages then they just continue to paste cheshire, merseyside and parts of lancashire. The only chance for me to get more than 5cm is from a battleground event which melts the next day, or in special circumstances if i ever find myself to be in the lucky position when a low gets undercutted with cold air and then pivots and heads south like yesterday. 

• Like 2

Posted

Patchy snow outside still, probably a couple of cm still on the grass. Was a thaw today, helped on by some light sleet showers in the morning. Not been a very sunny day either, and now the frosts aren't looking particularly harsh. Another poor cold spell.

I am losing the will to live.........

• Like 5

Posted

If It's any consolation, you always seem to do better for accumulations than us down the road in Stockport, we had no lying snow in March 2013, yet there was a fair bit in and around Ashton when I went.

Haha oh I know, I was living in Bredbury then. All my family in Runcorn where plastered with the stuff. And I'm sure we we under an amber alert forecast more and got sod all!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

At least one of the showers from the East has managed to reach here.

Only a few flakes falling but it shows we can get something from even a slack easterly.

Posted

Real frosty here, nearly went on my ass coming back from pub :(.....

Why would you take your Donkey to the pub or was it borrowed from the school nativity play.

• Like 3

Posted

Its astonishingly poor like isn't it, im convinced we are as snowless as the south coast who even got more than me in 2009 and 2010, in terms of showers and troughs we get nowt from northerlies, nowt from north easterlies, we sometimes get catch a moderate shower if its a full on beasterly with 50mph gusts blowing them over the pennines and lake district, again with a south easterly has to be a 1 in 50 year event, never witnessed a cold southerly although if it did happen would the showers make there way to cumbria? nope, southwesterlies seas too warm, westerlies seas too warm, north westerlys we normally get a couple of showers in the early stages then they just continue to paste cheshire, merseyside and parts of lancashire. The only chance for me to get more than 5cm is from a battleground event which melts the next day, or in special circumstances if i ever find myself to be in the lucky position when a low gets undercutted with cold air and then pivots and heads south like yesterday. 

Yes west coast of Cumbria not ideally placed for snowfall, though exceptions do happen, think March 2013 a very extreme unusual occurrence.

There is a marked difference the further inland you move from the coast - inland Cumbria is notably more snowy the central fells act as a major buffer shielding sea modification effect on the temperature and often aid evaporative cooling - it would be a very different case here if we didn't have the fells. We do however, quite well, and often see snow events from quite marginal set ups especially when precipitation is heavy. The 12th and 13th December of this year being a case in point - 2 snow events the latter very localised indeed.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

interesting damian, although even in march 2013 i didn't get any lying snowfall, the southern fells created a shadow effect over an area from sellafield to about workington and we just had very light snow all day which didn't lay, i think i last got lying snow in jan 2013, i'll have a look through old threads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Just been out for evening and its freezing out. Cars are frosted up and the pavements too.

Posted

-3.2 here must of been very cold for people who still have snow cover

Yes it is, but stunning with the sun out!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Blue skies and a lovely crisp, frosty cold morning