Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I too have hopes for a good February set-up LS. However, I am taking the American Company Weather bell's forecast into account. They appear very confident of a brutal cold shot for them in February along with Europe. I really am quite curious to see if their forecast/thoughts transpire. It may all crash and burn and they may only be correct as far as their own area is concerned. However, I will be watching with interest.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

A bit of nowcasting - the NMM 2-3pm precipitation chart compared to the actual 2-3pm accumulation from the radar:

nmm_uk1-1-9-0.png?20-11 post-9298-0-27207800-1421767358_thumb.pn

and the EURO4 midday-3pm compared to the actual midday-3pm:

15012015_2006.gif  post-9298-0-86572100-1421767438_thumb.pn

Is it just me or is everything just a bit further east than forecast? Front almost at Glasgow now, we'll see how much further it can get.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Looks more promising than it did earlier, seems to be pushing further east and getting heavier. Fingers crossed some of us get something decent from it!

Edited by Stormeh

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Must be someone in Ayrshire getting something from the sky, according to the radar?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Been cloudy here since about lunchtime. Will watch out for anything falling.

Temps shown to be -1, don't think it's been above freezing all day, so can't see it being anything other than snow for us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Must be someone in Ayrshire getting something from the sky, according to the radar?

I was wondering about that - doesn't look like anything major falling on the traffic cameras around there. Wundermap has it marginally further west, but still should be something starting to fall on the Ayrshire coast:

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap

Posted

I was wondering about that - doesn't look like anything major falling on the traffic cameras around there. Wundermap has it marginally further west, but still should be something starting to fall on the Ayrshire coast:

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap

Can confirm absolutely nothing falling from the sky in Prestwick despite what the radar shows.

Will report from home in around an hour and a half.

Posted

This has happened before a couple of years ago! It was the oddest thing ever. Same thing light precipitation on radar but nothing falling. Must be a scientific reason for this.

Posted

Anomalous radar propagation ...  'anoprop'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anomalous_propagation

"Inversion of temperature exists too ahead of warm fronts, and around thunderstorms' cold pool. Since precipitation exists in those circumstances, the abnormal propagation echoes are then mixed with real rain and/or targets of interest, which make them more difficult to separate."

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm dry summers

Looks to me that the front is starting to tilt and slide southwest, don't think there will be much from it but keeping fingers crossed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Yep I was getting that impression too sandstorm. Either that or it's heading east at walking pace.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Fook got excited when seen the radar but clearly that was false optimism....this is like last night when entering the Irish forum it was cleardespite the massive blob stalled over them the precipitation was actually very light....Oh well eyes on Friday now...and probably sleet...Nice cold spell of only had a few cms of snow would have been a week of fun for the kids

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Fook got excited when seen the radar but clearly that was false optimism....this is like last night when entering the Irish forum it was cleardespite the massive blob stalled over them the precipitation was actually very light....Oh well eyes on Friday now...and probably sleet...Nice cold spell of only had a few cms of snow would have been a week of fun for the kids

yeah just cold for most is no use at all unless you're in the business of selling gas or electricity... of super duper, look, I am hahaha

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Had to laugh reading the MT when our own Northern Rab gave a poster a geography lesson as to the location of the Denmark strait - and it aint Denmark! :laugh:

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

very light snow falling very slowly

Posted

Very light covering but it's sticking at least

Very light snow here, might get a cm ......if it continues

by this time next year!

• Like 3