Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Car said -8C at Kinbrace at about 10 this morning on my commute north. Cracking drive up the strath on a ploughed but only lightly gritted surface.

Forecast looks cold and dry for the week in the north so should see the river levels drop some.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Aye Strath. it's only people that don't get the beauty of winter that say it's depressing. I think mid July in a sticky heatwave is depressing!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

The point of interest for most now looks like tomorrow during the day....with the low pushing into the west early morning and if it does not die out starting to extend across all the country just about by 3pm......I am not convinced by the intensity of this that precipitation is going to hold and reach but we will wait and see....

Of interest was prcipitation popping up on Friday after nothing showing on the previous run....again this just highlights the getting the cold in and who knows what can pop up.....not got time to see what uppers surface temps etc like, just had a quick look at the precip chart....hopefully when log on tonight someone will have done all this :)

I used to like it when BUS manned the fort during the day.... 

this is the Friday feature that popped out of no place

post-15765-0-57450500-1421672420_thumb.p

Edited by edodfc
  • Like 2

Posted

I think Meto haven't a clue how progressive the front will be. I expect by tomorrow the warnings will change again!

Posted

Aye Strath. it's only people that don't get the beauty of winter that say it's depressing. I think mid July in a sticky heatwave is depressing!

Absolutely November. I'll have these conditions anyday over a clammy, summers afternoon. Getting in to my wee jeep requires an axe but I'll take such wee efforts when everything is so bonnie

Edited by Northern Strath

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

What's a sticky heatwave? Don't think I've experienced that phenomenon yet. Mind you I'm only 65 ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

A beautiful Winters day once again😄

Aye...that's what makes you Bonnie Scotland..

post-18260-0-61130800-1421674444_thumb.j

post-18260-0-44727700-1421674456_thumb.j

post-18260-0-20392400-1421674466_thumb.j

• Like 6

Posted

I think Meto haven't a clue how progressive the front will be. I expect by tomorrow the warnings will change again!

N13 Do you think the precip is going to be sustained as the front crosses the country.... looks quite patchy on I think it was the ECM i was looking at, GFS had it with a bit more oomph....

Posted

Interestingly our warning updated and covers until 3pm and some models were only showing it reaching here at 3 so could be a good shout there about how progressive it is

Posted

N13 Do you think the precip is going to be sustained as the front crosses the country.... looks quite patchy on I think it was the ECM i was looking at, GFS had it with a bit more oomph....

To be honest not sure! It has currently hit a brick wall, :aggressive:  and it's quite fascinating watching it bounce into the invisible wall in mid Eire. So we know the cold front margin is sitting in mid Eire at present. It looks like it might not even make it past Belfast now but I could be wrong.

Posted

It looks another snow shower is moving in from the west judging by the extended cloud cover headed in my direction. Though I could be wrong as it is not showing on the radar.

Posted

Tomorrow's event does appear to be a little underwhelming if some charts and forecasts are to go by - light, narrow, fragmented precipitation - but the only areas in the UK to be given a warning by the met office is South Western and central Scotland so that's an encouraging sign.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

-7C at midday here and feeling colder

Was -9.5C when I woke and I'm guessing we went lower? Unfortunately my weather station is now deed so I can't verify

TV says it's the 'most depressing day of the year'. Must be if you're working in an office in Slough or something. Crisp blue skies and a winter wonderland for a fair stretch of this country today. A cracking day. Wee walk with the dog in the woods behind the house and he agrees

Couldn't send some of that snow down to Kent. Not had a snowflake here now since mid March 2013!!.Stunning pictures btw. Looks more like Scandanavia with that deep snow lol and your dog looks like its having fun!!

• Like 4

Posted

Tomorrow's event does appear to be a little underwhelming if some charts and forecasts are to go by - light, narrow, fragmented precipitation - but the only areas in the UK to be given a warning by the met office is South Western and central Scotland so that's an encouraging sign.

Hoping it's kind of inbetween patchy and full on but not too full on for it to ram the cold out the way and turn to rain but heavy enough to give a bit of a covering -  ohh who am I kidding 10" lol! In all seriousness this Winter has been a good improvement on the last even though we've still not had that much snow and it pished down for the first half of it, the rain wasn't constant and the snow did make a good few appearance with some heavy albeit brief dumps. could easily have been a rinse and repeat of last year and then I think I would have emigrated.

In fact the way it is now is exactly how it was here in 2010/11, cold with frozen snow cover.

Posted

We haven't had more than 2 inches in any of the dumps, but I will take it after last year. What's important is the potential for snow. Last year there was none, :closedeyes:  and this year there is plenty of Radar and lampost watching.

• Like 2

Posted

Afternoon all,

Back from Lancashire and two days sledging with the nephews. Fortunately my sister lives at decent altitude as you needed to be at least 100m asl to have snow on the ground.

Great drive up the road today, plenty of blue skies and snowy scenery, particularly from Beattock up to Glasgow.

Back In Crail no snow of course but we recorded our lowest temperature in two years this morning at -2.6c. May have a chance of beating that tonight.

• Like 1

Posted

Couldn't send some of that snow down to Kent. Not had a snowflake here now since mid March 2013!!.Stunning pictures btw. Looks more like Scandanavia with that deep snow lol and your dog looks like its having fun!!

Thanks Hotspur. I feel your pain, even up here where we are well placed for cold the last two winters have been massively disappointing (unless you were another 1000ft up). Still plenty winter to come so I hope you get that elusive white soon!

-6C and clear skies apart from a dandruff snow shower passing 30 mins ago

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Thanks Hotspur. I feel your pain, even up here where we are well placed for cold the last two winters have been massively disappointing (unless you were another 1000ft up). Still plenty winter to come so I hope you get that elusive white soon!

-6C and clear skies apart from a dandruff snow shower passing 30 mins ago

I hope we get a nice cold February and March. These months can be excellent for cold and snow, especially up here as the Arctic is at its coldest at that time of the year - perfect for northerlies.

Positively balmy here at -4'C, -9'C through at Loch Glascarnoch already I see.

• Like 2

Posted

The front has moved about 15 miles in hours! :nonono:

Posted

Aye and the wee green bit in the middle is my house!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Mine is in the East lothian greenery! Lol

• Like 1