Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Just checking traffic scotland looks like nowt for the Weegies but N, E and central progged to get a covering as well as South Scotland - enjoy you lucky sods!

https://trafficscotland.org/weather/index.aspx?regionid=1&selected=12597

Edited by grifter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Steve Murr has posted his chart for snow risk for coming week not sure if he has Scotland in the action or if it was more IMBY/England focused chart. Any ideas? I would have asked but would have been off topic in MT thread.

I also seen his map and I am wondering the exact same as you.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A bit disappointed with the Countryfile forecast. Nothing too wintry on offer and a suggestion that by the end of next weekend Westerlies back in charge. Can't rely on the Russian high to retrogress far enough it would appear.

Here our (thin) cover from last night has survived today's sunshine. Was up in Perthshire this morning but had to get North of Bankfoot before hitting a proper snow cover. The higher areas have quite a deep cover though lower South facing areas quite bare in places.

Posted

The ground is white now and still coming down. NE Scotland joins the snow party!

• Like 6

Posted

The ground is white now and still coming down. NE Scotland joins the snow party!

I'm wondering if we are about to lose the stream shortly or if the band out to sea will clip the coastal strip. Even if we miss it places further south may get hit.

• Like 1

Posted

A fantastic winter's day with not much thawing of the snow in the sun. Currently subzero so a very cold night should be on the cards. Not too much activity on the snow front this coming week but it seems the NE have enjoyed some snow this evening aswell as scattered snow showers in the north of the country. Eastern areas could also see some snow at times in the coming days. There's uncertainty regarding the potential snow event on Tuesday and I don't really know what to expect. Some charts show a pretty decent snow event but looking at the country file forecast it seems a narrow/fragmented band of precipitation should bring some patchy light snow but I'm hoping we end up with something a little better than that.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Snow band has reached south Montrose on cameras.

Posted

-5.9 as of bed time.

Early night, after snow shifting and various sledging related accident pain from fri/sat!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Well East Lothian seems to be out of the snow zone again! Very disappointed but maybe for next slider? Hope so..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

So it is now looking marginal for any precipitation to fall as snow this week?

I wouldn't say marginal so much as it's hard to tell how far east and how intense the front will be. Looking at most of the modelling, the majority of precipitation up here should be of snow from tonight through to Wednesday morning, possibly even as far as Thursday (maybe a bit dicey for coastal areas around your neck of the woods Tuesday night but generally temperatures in most parts of Scotland progged at around 0C even with frontal precipitation). FWIW the current modelling actually looks ok for precipitation, and the ECM snow depth charts don't look all that different to the GFS ones I posted earlier, with maybe a bit more further west and a bit less for the east than on those charts, including possibly some snow from a second weaker front that might pass over the west on Wednesday evening. Not sure if the MO's modelling is showing something similar but I don't think there's any reason to be too despondent yet.

• Like 4

Posted

A few snowy pictures from a wee scoot through part of the Clyde wind farm today. There's probably 8 inches level snow in the hills above Crawford ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/88898381@N02/sets/72157650346947962/

16125196937_abefe10757_b.jpg

Almost makes me wish I'd headed down the M74 and gone out on the hills today, although I dare say skis are better than boots for getting through the current level of snow cover.

There's pretty good cover in most of north Lanarkshire - had a wander through some moors and woods:

18115067.jpg

18115043.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Hmm, all of a sudden something is developing of the E. Lothian coast ahead of that band heading SE.

EDIT

Stuck heid oot back an triggered light. Light snaw confirmed.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

Posted

Almost makes me wish I'd headed down the M74 and gone out on the hills today, although I dare say skis are better than boots for getting through the current level of snow cover.

There's pretty good cover in most of north Lanarkshire - had a wander through some moors and woods:

18115067.jpg

18115043.jpg

The Salsburgh Road? Literally 5 minutes away from me, I look out my bedroom window onto fields and farms and its always nice to see the fields with a good covering, the stuff on the road has melted due to being gritted a few times but cover remains a couple of inches deep everywhere else. It's a nice view from there

Posted

Very interesting light showers in central Edinburgh on radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Well we have snow here too, of a sort, after some showers this evening. A very thin cover of very wet stuff so nothing exciting. If it cools overnight from the current 2.1/1.3C it could be an interestingly icy morning.

Headed off early to the Lecht this morning and it wasn't too far before there were slushy deposits on the roads, but well up Strathdon before it was lying as snow. The weather at the ski centre was wild to start with. Strong winds and falling snow, but bearable and the runs were OK (quite deep in places but this and stripped nearer the tops). Late morning the wind died down and the sun even managed an appearance, ironically mainly whilst we were in the cafe for an earlish lunch. That didn't last too long though and early afternoon it deteriorated again into being shot blasted. The family gave up but I tried to soldier on for a bit but gave up after another 2 runs. It wasn't so much the overhead conditions, the flat light combined with soft snow drifting across the runs made it difficult to ski. After yet another fall as I tried to turn in a drift of soft snow I called it quits. I'd tweaked my knee when I fell and decided it wasn't worth the risk of doing damage when it was less fun and more stubbornness that had kept me going.

We retreated off the hill around 2:30pm, not hanging around in case they closed the road on the Strathdon side (happened the last time we were there and it takes more than twice as long going home the other way). The drive back downhill and along the first part of Strathdon was interesting. At one point coming off the hill we couldn't even see the bonnet of the car, nevermind the road, as the snow was blowing so hard across our path. The road was being well ploughed but they had a battle on thier hands.

It'll be intriguing to see what the rest of the week brings weather wise, but I'm not expecting much around these parts to get excited about. It's been a poor winter so far for snow here, but still infinitely better than last year.

• Like 4

Posted

The Salsburgh Road? Literally 5 minutes away from me, I look out my bedroom window onto fields and farms and its always nice to see the fields with a good covering, the stuff on the road has melted due to being gritted a few times but cover remains a couple of inches deep everywhere else. It's a nice view from there

Well spotted!  Probably not high-ranking in the tourist guides to Scotland but it all looks nice under snow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
Doesn't that mean that the air temperature has really been lifted by sunshine (radiation), so the thermometer is not lying at all?

It had been sunny all morning and was between 2.5 and 3.5 but when the thermometer got exposed to it, the temperature went up very quickly.

Tonight the temperature is 1.4/-3.3. No frost and it's partly cloudy with a light breeze. Doesn't look like it's going to be colder than last night

• Like 1

Posted

Well spotted!  Probably not high-ranking in the tourist guides to Scotland but it all looks nice under snow.

It was the lonely bungalow in the distance at the junction for Dewshill that gave it away. Nah don't see it being up near the top of the list, however it's all very pleasant on the eye under current conditions. 

Looks like some light isolated showers started to drift into lanarkshire according to the radar

Posted

Been up since 0200, and, the temp at that time was a balmy 2.1C.

Not minus 2, +2.

:shakeshead:

Falling away nicely though, -1.2 and falling, but far from being the coldest night of the year...