Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Alloa got lucky overnight :D About 2 cm here - the first proper lying snow this winter. Looks beautiful.

All eyes on next Tuesday into Wednesday now. Could be some really good frontal snow or perhaps a sleet fest. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Models a little dissapointing too this morning but I live in hope :(

I Do not think they look too bad...tue and wed still look really interesting although could be sleety for some but encouraging info from fergie earlier in thread on that and pretty much worst case scenario is we end up in a chilly NW PM which we seen last week can deliver for many....I could of course be talking nonsense as still not great at reading the charts... The models however seem to struggle for agreement beyond T96 so I'm just trying to focus on this cold spell...if we can get snow in place and some of the deep temps programmed it makes it all the harder to shift and could at least give us a very snowy messy breakdown at some point....I used to hate those but learned to enjoy them after building a massive snowman with all the kids in the cul de sac and having a chaotic snowball fight for a few hours before it turned to rain...I realised if timing is right you can enjoy a breakdown...anyway the breakdown will not be till March anyway ;)post-15765-0-45744000-1421573063_thumb.ppost-15765-0-50825100-1421573084_thumb.p Edited by edodfc
  • Like 2

Posted

Hopefully the serial pub attending quantum physicist bagpipe player will be a long at some point tonight to map out the potential of the week ahead...

Home alone with the 2 and 1 year old today so now need to work out a plan of action as the towing them around on the sledge is not going to happen... Grrrrrr

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

It snowed. Enough so that the ground is mostly white. 2.8/-2.5

• Like 1

Posted

Could you imagine the synoptics shifting more favourably and being able to watch all that Cold air to the East flooding towards the UK and counting down the hours. There isn't any support for that at the moment ofcourse but it is nice to see some very cold air not a million miles away, FI is probably 3 days right now so anything can happen, I'm trying to keep the faith here and if nothing else, we could get a good snowy breakdown. Post breakdown (if it occurs) it would appear that cold air won't ever be too far away so we could still end up with plenty snowy surprises moving forward. Gotta keep the faith!!

!!

96_mslp850.png?cb=48

Overnight we had another 1/2 inch on top of the existing snowcover and compacted ice, but where tarmac was visible from tyre tracks etc, it's already melted from there. Here's to a cold night tonight.

• Like 1

Posted

Sitting at -0.1 at the moment so I would expect some melt today but with the temps forecast I would imagine we will have this most of the week.

post-14156-0-41082300-1421575203_thumb.j

Edit: sorry for the dodgy iphone screenshot photos.

Edited by Kayemill
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Slight covering here overnight, although it's starting to melt a bit. Temp 2.1C

Traffic Scotland A1 cam at the top of town shows what its currently like

post-7984-0-31633000-1421575291_thumb.jp

Edited by Mesosphere

Posted

Couldn't agree more with that assessment Ruzzi and there is potential for at somepoint for one of these lows to undercut and potentially release that cold across too us....we may not have 2010 winter upon us but we have imo had and are having a decent winter with potential it could be a great one....certainly compared to some of the winters in recent memory

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

We had a dusting too last night. Sadly not quite enough for the sledge or a snowman but might get a snowball fight in if we can get out before it melts.

Posted

Sitting at -0.1 at the moment so I would expect some melt today but with the temps forecast I would imagine we will have this most of the week.

attachicon.gif

image.jpg

Edit: sorry for the dodgy iphone screenshot photos.

Nice little mini sledge slope across the road there and impressive looking snow...would love to have that right now Edited by edodfc

The curse of drizzle and a strong breeze. Left the house when the rain had just started but everything was still perfect and white. By the time we got to the cycle track (a whole 3 minutes in the car), there was no snow left on the trees and the thaw was going strong. Now a mushy mess on the ground with patches of white...I feel a bit miffed :(

Posted

Nice little mini sledge slope across the road there and impressive looking snow...would love to have that right now

My wife isn't that pleased as she won't drive in this at all and we live up a fairly steep hill. It's not that easy to walk down. Because it's been ploughed it's single track as well.

We'll see what this week brings.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Snow is very reluctant to leave here, not that its a bad thing! :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

I Do not think they look too bad...tue and wed still look really interesting although could be sleety for some but encouraging info from fergie earlier in thread on that and pretty much worst case scenario is we end up in a chilly NW PM which we seen last week can deliver for many....I could of course be talking nonsense as still not great at reading the charts... The models however seem to struggle for agreement beyond T96 so I'm just trying to focus on this cold spell...if we can get snow in place and some of the deep temps programmed it makes it all the harder to shift and could at least give us a very snowy messy breakdown at some point....I used to hate those but learned to enjoy them after building a massive snowman with all the kids in the cul de sac and having a chaotic snowball fight for a few hours before it turned to rain...I realised if timing is right you can enjoy a breakdown...anyway the breakdown will not be till March anyway ;)attachicon.gifprectypeuktopo (1).pngattachicon.gifprectypeuktopo.png

Thanks for your reply, good post.

Yeah, it seems there is some debate over the eastwards extent of these frontal systems pushing in and how much precipitation they will produce.

Wednesday is rain and temperatures of 5c. Better further north admittedly. I hope this is overdone and won't come to pass.

Those GFS charts are good but the UKMO isn't really inside yet although it is better than yesterday as Nick Sussex pointed out earlier.

I think it's really difficult to call how this situation will evolve. I think there will be much choping and changing in the models in the coming days and even weeks

Posted

Was pleasantly surprised to find a fresh covering this morning - only 2cm. or so but didn't expect anything from the north and things look crisper and fresher again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Aye, 2cm feel early in the morn here too.

Melting slowly at 1.6 °C.

Road doesn't seem to have seen a gritter, so pretty slushy. If we get a frost tonight it will be an ice rink.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning.   A small snowfall around 6ish this am but not enough to leave any footprints!   Unexpected from a northerly here so nice to see.

MT is interesting at the moment with very good analysis.   I'm wondering if what Joe B was referring to a week or so ago in a tweet that both usa and uk would suffer extreme cold at the same time is something to do with tentative developments around Scandi?   It's a very big claim to make.   His tweets don't make a lot of sense to me at the best of times but he did mention 2-3 weeks and that post was a week ago.   I assumed at the time that he meant FOR 2-3 weeks but he may have meant IN 2 - 3 weeks?   Dunno, I may be grasping at straws. but I for one will be watching developments closely.

• Like 1

Posted

I got a light cover overnight but not even a cm. Losing a lot now in the sunnier areas.

Was out and about in Glssgow this morning and some areas of the City still have a pretty thick blanket of snow that's great to see.

Expecting the coldest night of the winter for me tonight.

The Met-O have a yellow weather warning for snow and ice out:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1421539200&regionName=dg

It's for the north-east and the far east of central and southern Scotland. I think Kelso is almost on the edge of the warning area so we'll see what comes of it.

Euro4 charts look a bit so-so for here, perhaps a bit drizzly at times and the precip does look to be a little too far east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny

The temperature has risen to 5.8c which I was shocked about but I have realised that the sun is shining on it in the space between two houses. I'm disappointed though that this has caused the temperature recorded to rise though because I thought the Stevenson Screen design around the thermometer would mean that the Sun shining on it would make no difference. Dew point is -3.3 which is the same as the minimum temperature from last night