Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

snaw still falling albeit finely. just in from morning walk with dug.

post-2849-0-11364700-1421491873_thumb.jppost-2849-0-69731000-1421491875_thumb.jp

post-2849-0-52067100-1421491877_thumb.jppost-2849-0-41295400-1421491880_thumb.jp

post-2849-0-46924100-1421491882_thumb.jp

more snaw needed for sledge run.  :)

post-2849-0-75191600-1421491893_thumb.jppost-2849-0-57370200-1421491895_thumb.jp

post-2849-0-07283300-1421491884_thumb.jp

post-2849-0-91660700-1421491896_thumb.jp

Edited by Cheggers
  • Like 7

Posted

Just had a heavy snow shower here in Kilmarnock which has topped up the snow nicely. However according to the met office we're to get rain later? They didn't forecast the heavy snow here last night, hoping they're wrong about the rain too!

Posted

.Surprised really at the amount of melt that's went on (seemed to start last night too)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Well it was so nice to wake up to a proper winters morning....feels like the first one for a couple of years.....snow still around from last night, a fall of snow this morning and it smelled like Winter( if you know what I mean?)

Here's a few pics from last night ....the wee man got to see " proper" snow which was brill! And inevitably here is the emergency snowman.....just in case it disappeared by morning.post-18260-0-54779000-1421493508_thumb.j

Apologies for the side on view😳

post-18260-0-80590800-1421493466_thumb.j

post-18260-0-81250200-1421493475_thumb.j

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Snow virtually all gone now. According to the Met Office tonight as well they expect some less cold air associated with that band moving south during tonight and so lower levels like here may end up with rain or sleet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Sooo jealous. Please send some snow! Kids (and me) are desperate to get the sledge out of the attic â„ï¸â›„ï¸

Westerly or even northerly here is difficult for lots of snow, however I see around 6am tomorrow has possibilities for here/central belt.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny

Wow, the temperature has just risen 1.4 in the last half an hour. Anything that falls any time soon will be of rain never mind sleet, although I think it should stay dry. 3.6/2.0

And 24 minutes later it has dropped back to 3.0

Edited by GrangemouthBairn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Went out for my run earlier, first time I realised how much snow had fallen here. But it's definitely melting too, could do with a wee top up and freeze over later.

Posted

Temp is up to 2.3 here :( at least we got to build a snowman and snow dog but it's starting to slush a bit now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Sun has slipped behind the hill now so the snow in the shade will survive today (barring any rain) but 70% of what fell (about an inch at 4pm yesterday) is gone. South facing fields had lost almost all snow cover by 7am and the melt really was on about 11am. The sun came out which felt very warm as the temperature reached 4c.

Still I'm happy to see snow and it's way better than last winter, excluding March 2013 it's better than the winter of 2012-13 too. Should be some more meaningful snow by Tuesday/Wednesday as long as the 'slider' low doesn't shift course too much. A case of watching and waiting I think :)

Posted

What's a slider low? No further snowfall since 10 o'clock this morning. Overcast now with some little holes in the cloud but the forecast is for it to remain dry now until the weather front pushes in on Tuesday. It is such as shame to see this cold weather end so quickly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Overnight low of -3.2C here and the resulting frost is surviving in the shaded areas out of the sun. Lovely looking day outside so gonna head out in a bit with the dog to enjoy it before the sun goes down again.

Forecast some snow overnight here as that band heads down from the north. Perversely I don't want too much snow as we plan to head skiing early morning. Possibly to Glenshee (if they open more lifts) but more likely Lecht (likely to be quieter and less queues if everyone from central belt heads to a half open Glenshee). The road to the Lecht could be a problem if it snows heavily overnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

What's a slider low?

Easy way to visualise it is to look at the models. Go to this link if you can...

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php

Once there select 'precharger' then 'anim' to the left of the graphic. Watch the area of low pressure (blue colours) come over the top of the high pressure ridge (yellow colours) and dive SE then S starting around Tuesday (or Mardi since the site is in French). That's a slider low.

Posted

What's a slider low? No further snowfall since 10 o'clock this morning. Overcast now with some little holes in the cloud but the forecast is for it to remain dry now until the weather front pushes in on Tuesday. It is such as shame to see this cold weather end so quickly.

There are many far more qualified than

myself to explain what a 'slider' low is....

But basically when you have an area of higher heights to our North East (not particularly strong in this instance) and a low comes up against the block. If certain factors

(such as degree of amplification of the jet stream, energy coming out of the states, low heights in Southern Europe - around Italy usually) are favourable then the low will be pulled south east (could be south south-east or East South-East) what is known as 'under the block'. If you stay on the Northern side of the Polar Front jet (if the low goes below us then we will be) you will stay cold. As that low gets pulled south it will still usually be slowly edging East as it slides down. Any precipitation on its Northern or eastern sides will 'usually' be of snow.

In certain, very favourable, circumstances most if not all of the low will deliver snow but the further west and south you go (as a rule of thumb) will run the risk of milder air as seen by Devon, Cornwall etc not predicted any snow from this low.

Hope that makes some kind of sense, I'm trying my best to simplify it as far as possible. I apologise to the more experienced posters for my rather childish explanation but that's my basic understanding of it.

Examples being Febuary 96 (where the block was so strong the low came in, then stalled and actually retreated backwards), and March 2013 just to name a couple.

They are notoriously difficult to predict. In March 2013 for instance the isle of Arran was literally buried in several feet of drifting snow, yet Glasgow had none.

A case of waiting and seeing what happens I think, I'm sure LS and Lorenzo et al will do good summaries of this front and snow threat when it is in range of the high resolution short scale models. Tomorrow night at the absolute earliest but really Monday night is probably your best bet of seeing where snow will fall but even then it'll come down to t-6 or even nowcasting

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 2

Posted

The band coming down from the North tonight really fizzes out once it gets past the Grampians. Shame really, looks like there will be very light precipitation at best judging from the EURO4.

Posted

Much colder now and the rain shower has turned to sleet/snow. If only this shower had hit a bit later then maybe it would have delivered a covering... Instead it has just continued the melt :(

Posted

Raining very very slightly earlier but not enough to impact on snowcover. It is not turning back to snow as another shower has just arrived from the west.

Posted

High of -1.7C heading back down at -2C now. Bonnie blue sky seen from the shade of the house. Looks and feels like January should out there

Interested to see how much of punch this band from the north is gonna give

post-12555-0-46502300-1421509181_thumb.j

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

All eyes to the eye candy just appeared in the north. Its like waiting to see what Santa will bring!

• Like 1

Posted

All eyes to the eye candy just appeared in the north. Its like waiting to see what Santa will bring!

I admire your enthusiasm LOL

I suspect hee-haw as I cannot for the life of me remember anything from the North delivering here. Would love Santa to prove me wrong :-)

Posted

I admire your enthusiasm LOL

I suspect hee-haw as I cannot for the life of me remember anything from the North delivering here. Would love Santa to prove me wrong :-)

I THINK the 6th December 2010 event came down from the North or North-West? Otherwise I'm with you, those pesky mountains eat up all the snow apart from rare occurences!

Posted

Yes I know the Grampians and the Ochils kill it but you never know!

• Like 2