Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

The Met-O have a yellow weather warning for snow and ice out:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1421539200&regionName=dg

It's for the north-east and the far east of central and southern Scotland. I think Kelso is almost on the edge of the warning area so we'll see what comes of it.

Euro4 charts look a bit so-so for here, perhaps a bit drizzly at times and the precip does look to be a little too far east.

Yes, we could end up with quite a lot of rain here. Could be good for the Lecht and other inland hilly areas though!

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Temperature back down now to 3.7/-4.0, so it looks as if the sun did cause that temperature rise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

The temperature has risen to 5.8c which I was shocked about but I have realised that the sun is shining on it in the space between two houses. I'm disappointed though that this has caused the temperature recorded to rise though because I thought the Stevenson Screen design around the thermometer would mean that the Sun shining on it would make no difference. Dew point is -3.3 which is the same as the minimum temperature from last night

Doesn't that mean that the air temperature has really been lifted by sunshine (radiation), so the thermometer is not lying at all?

Anyroads, my invitation for the snowclouds to visit has gone unheeded, it's just cold and windy...

Yes, we could end up with quite a lot of rain here. Could be good for the Lecht and other inland hilly areas though!

Aye, I wouldn't be expecting anything in Aberdeen. Fingers crossed for you that you get something but it does look very iffy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

The Met-O have a yellow weather warning for snow and ice out:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1421539200&regionName=dg

It's for the north-east and the far east of central and southern Scotland. I think Kelso is almost on the edge of the warning area so we'll see what comes of it.

Euro4 charts look a bit so-so for here, perhaps a bit drizzly at times and the precip does look to be a little too far east.

Met have snaw for Lauder from 18:00 to 04:00.

The east coast warning will be associated with the features seen here:

PPVE89.png

Edited by scottish skier

Met have snaw for Lauder from 18:00 to 04:00.

The east coast warning will be associated with the features seen here:

The joys of the automated Met-O forecast, they have Kelso down for snow, sleet and rain from 5am to 4pm tomorrow, with nothing between now and then.

i have managed to get back home as we are staying with our daughter ,the windows at the front of the house all blew in ,thank you for your help,your advise was a life saver on the night as we were thinking of running for it ,we got a phone call from the emergency services at 4 am asking if we need evacuating as it wouldn't be long till it was safe enough to do so ,we are starting to pack up the house as we will have to move ,again thank you ,and i'm not sure what it would take to get a red warning

Glad to hear you're ok, sorry to hear that your house is wrecked. Good point about the red warning :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Much cloder today than yesterday. Yesterday peaked at 4c, whereas today is 1.8c

Temp has fallen to 1.4c now and bitter in the wind. Sun is behind the hill now but even in the sun it isn't that warm really. Snow has melted in some areas but everything that didn't melt yesterday hasn't melted today either.

Southern uplands look gloriously white, too far away for my phone to be able to take a photo of them unfortunately

Posted

I notice snow showers are concentrated in northern areas today. Why is this? Wind direction? Is the wind northerly today? In a northerly, the air is clearer and so the mountains eat all the snow and anywhere south of the mountains stays dry.

Beautiful, clear and crisp day today. The snow cover froze overnight and is very crunchy underfoot. I wonder if that front incoming on Tuesday will determine rain or snow here?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I notice snow showers are concentrated in northern areas today. Why is this? Wind direction? Is the wind northerly today? In a northerly, the air is clearer and so the mountains eat all the snow and anywhere south of the mountains stays dry.

Beautiful, clear and crisp day today. The snow cover froze overnight and is very crunchy underfoot. I wonder if that front incoming on Tuesday will determine rain or snow here?

Sometimes (usually) Inverness does well from this - not today! Caithness, Sutherland and northern parts of Ross-shire getting showers....

Posted

Very disappointing - any showers are light & are of rain as far as I can see... I can see this being another snowless winter for here. N'ly winds just cannot get established nowadays & air/temps aloft seems to be too warm for snow up here. Just cold, windy & periodically wet sums up today, with some sunnier intervals. 

Edited by Richard Taylor

Posted

Here seems to be a bit more precipitation heading this way now. Hopefully with the sun having set and a bit more intense precipitation things may get a little whiter rather than wetter. I can live in hope!

• Like 1

Posted

Currently -1.6C and dropping. Managed -0.6C today and with some cloud cover expected it to maybe rise further but it remained below, snow cover keeping temps down. Depth at 12cm

Snow showers this morning and again this afternoon but nothing lasting over 15mins/20 mins. Interested to see how low we and other parts report come early morning

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

I got a light cover overnight but not even a cm. Losing a lot now in the sunnier areas.

Was out and about in Glssgow this morning and some areas of the City still have a pretty thick blanket of snow that's great to see.

Expecting the coldest night of the winter for me tonight.

Yeah it's quite good. I'm just NW of the City Centre and away from tall buildings or busy pedestrian areas the snow cover is still hanging on well. Was over south side earlier and even there the snow cover isn't as widespread there. Got me wondering if a lot of Friday's snow missed that side of the city.

• Like 1

The latest BBC online forecast keeps showers going over East Lothian and central/eastern parts of the Borders from this evening right through until tomorrow afternoon. Fingers crossed that they're onto something :)

Edit: The Met-O weather warning has been updated to include areas slightly further west, I've gone from being on (ish) the line to well inside it. My gut reaction is to say "that's me jinxed now", but I should really stick with what the pros are saying :D

The 12z ECM does seem to have a slight east of north flow now, rather than the straight northerly which was progged earlier, so maybe they are onto something after all? Looks like it'll be a night of radar watching and curtain twitching. Mrs Catch has got the snow bug so strongly now that she's adamant we're going dog walking regardless of the time if it does snow, "even if it's three in the morning" she's said!!

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Catch did you say showers right through!!! That would be amazing!! Thank you for that info. Monday's work will be made all the better with snow falling outside sounds good to me. Keeping my fingers crossed. Hope you get some down in Kelso too.

• Like 1

Posted

Everything freezing up again this afternoon as skies cleared and in the last hour a few grauple showers have drifted in off the Firth from the north. Currently 0.8c

• Like 1

Posted

Wet snow here now after sleet earlier. Temp 0.8C. Getting there?!

Some strange looking white rain here too. Not that much of it but it seems like it will stick to the ground if more falls.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

The latest BBC online forecast keeps showers going over East Lothian and central/eastern parts of the Borders from this evening right through until tomorrow afternoon. Fingers crossed that they're onto something :)

Woop!  :yahoo:

Here's hoping they are right, would love a good covering in the morning and for it not to melt completely by midday 

• Like 1

Catch did you say showers right through!!! That would be amazing!! Thank you for that info. Monday's work will be made all the better with snow falling outside sounds good to me. Keeping my fingers crossed. Hope you get some down in Kelso too.

Snowy (& Mesosphere), don't shoot the messenger if it doesn't come to anything, it just looked like that on the BBC forecast :)

Edit: Looking forward to mid-week, here are the FAX charts for 12z on Wednesday, from +96hrs, +84hrs and +72hrs:

post-2844-0-84779800-1421605659_thumb.gipost-2844-0-83455500-1421605658_thumb.gipost-2844-0-37322600-1421605657_thumb.gi

It does seem to be backing west. We don't want it too far west or we get no snow.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Steve Murr has posted his chart for snow risk for coming week not sure if he has Scotland in the action or if it was more IMBY/England focused chart. Any ideas? I would have asked but would have been off topic in MT thread.

Edited by Bullseye