Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The Start Of Winter

Paul

Posted

The 120hr fax chart has updated but the 96hr hasn't - a tad frustrating!

Just updated now.

Edited by blizzard81

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

The 120hr fax chart has updated but the 96hr hasn't - a tad frustrating!

Just updated :) post-15543-0-79077900-1418080594_thumb.g

Posted

Just updated :) attachicon.gifPPVM89.gif

Thanks just spotted it. For some strange reason the 120 chart updated first.

When I look at the 96hr chart and 120hr chart, a standard toppler is not what springs to mind.

The Azores high is quite a lot further out into the atlantic than it would normally be

under a toppler scenario.

Edited by blizzard81
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

A  recent post has been moved here

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/81281-model-banter-moans-and-ramps-autumnwinter-2014/

where it is more suited.

Only proper discussion in here please all-moans and ramps into the thread linked above.

Thank you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

yeah but after so long with not a lot to shout about us coldies deserve something.

Hang in there mate, at least the models are showing some cold weather, especially for our northern friends..it's a good solid platform to build on IMO. A sw / ne jet profile would have been too much to stomach at this point after the turgid November but the models have improved at least. :-)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Come on guys, let's please keep this thread friendly and stop all the arguing. Really does feel like a 'bomb' has gone off in here at times tonight. Like the other mods/hosts have said, there are other threads for that kind of thing. Thanks.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Day 5 charts

ECM

ECH1-120.GIF?09-12

UKMO

UN120-21.GIF?09-05

GFS

gfsnh-0-120.png?0

Parallel

gfsnh-0-120.png?0

GEM

gemnh-0-120.png?00

All similar in clearing the colder air by Sunday, making it a brief event. The following week looks like a case of trying to make the best of a westerly pattern and hope for as potent a polar maritime blast as possible. There is still no real sign of removal of low heights to our north, well at least at a timeframe that we can have a relatively good amount of faith in.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Merry Christmas

post-6879-0-82170500-1418110568_thumb.pn

Way way in FI  - it will be interesting to say the least.

Ian

• Like 3

Posted

As far as ECM32 is concerned, it has a model top at 5mb, so that could perhaps have an effect regarding the upcoming strat dynamics and coupling down the line.

And it is run at 00z on Mondays and Thursdays, so before any 12z of the day.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

ECM are finally realising the overriding signal and are toning day their D10 teases:

post-14819-0-24903100-1418110315_thumb.g  GEM at D10: post-14819-0-34813300-1418110372_thumb.p

The D16 GEFS mean has not improved over the last 5 days and the odd semi-blocked member remains less than a handful, so reasonable to assume this remains background noise. The mean 850s and 500hPa's are what we expect from  an ongoing pattern:

post-14819-0-03057100-1418110550_thumb.p post-14819-0-53188000-1418110557_thumb.p

It shows you can have a beaten up PV and still get no blocking, with zonal weather for a good period. The GFS P still has warming at 10hPa right out in FI:

post-14819-0-45756900-1418110884_thumb.p  

This should be a good test for the Strat experts as their confidence has been very high since November, and will certainly be another plus for that area of NH weather prediction. In the interim we have the incoming storm:

post-14819-0-54177500-1418111289_thumb.p  T48: post-14819-0-33379300-1418111304_thumb.g T96: post-14819-0-98674100-1418111324_thumb.g

Edited by Paul
  • Like 3

Posted

The ECM ensemble mean suggests the operational run might be too Azores high friendly, thats kept further sw with troughing over the UK rather than to the north. Theres a spread running nw/se to the south of the UK indicative of low heights pushing further se into Europe.

I think theres still the opportunity for some PM incursions but I think we need to see whether that suggested PNA plus pattern does indeed verify to have a better chance of something colder.

Posted

A key watching brief hereafter is whether EC begins to bolster any notion of weakening ongoing MSLP pattern & decreasing zonality/westerlies late Dec, as presently has some support in GloSea.

I hear you. :) I was targeting more on the "down the line" part, into the last quarter of the model. :)

Edited by Recretos
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

It does seem to be heading towards this possibility although as a amateur and after my some what excitable post yesterday I'm more reluctant to post my ideas.

As some of the more experienced posters like yourself and others most suggested a mid month change !.

Of coarse still very uncertain but almost all models suggesting a similar idea.

Whether it happens around Greenland or not is debatable.

But in my amateur opinion I think there is a clear indication that the focus point is Greenland.

I would like to apologise to people for my posts yesterday I'm not a very educated person but spent my life fascinating over weather types the jargon used is something I'm still learning.

Slightly of topic I know but I do see a quick shift to some form of blocking ,

Whether we benefit from this is open to debate but Greenland block always seems to lead to something more wintry with better chances across more of the uk.

So I'm confident the models are sniffing at Greenland area or mid Atlantic heights.

Hi. I do agree that Greenland is on the mark for height rises rather than from the east. The fact the models keep trying to build there suggests this is the weakest spot in the current pattern, but with the jet on supercharge and the PV fighting back it may be later rather than sooner.

FWIW the continued CFS monthly for Feb and March still show strong Northern blocking. January still suggests the PV is recovering early month before becoming less organised later.

Keep up with the enthusiasm as it is needed when we enter a holding pattern like the current setup.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Many

Comparing this in my memory (and limited analysis) to last year, the setup is very active north of the UK but with the vortex much further east and with very little persistent cold air for the Atlantic to draw strength from over eastern Canada.  The heights over North America in the GFS and ECM are quite something.  The upcoming storm is concerning, as last year's were and with 950mb being something that would but for last year have seemed very unusual so close to the UK, but it does not look to be a case of very strong low pressure systems lining up in succession from south of Newfoundland like last year.  I will have to do more model watching to see what heights build to the west of Greenland and get up to speed in general, but there seems to be the potential for that to occur and for the mid-Atlantic high to edge northwestwards.  Definitely colder in general than last December, and going off the GFS 00z op that is an impressive fetch on this week's northerly:

h850t850eu.png