Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The Start Of Winter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

isnt it? attachicon.gif1.gif a chilly couple of days, nothing too cold away from scotland attachicon.gif2.gif followed by three days of wet windy and mild attachicon.gif3.gif three days of 'average' cold before attachicon.gif4.gif mild mobile wet and windy weather returns throughout fi...if the gfs 00z is anything to go by, then the cold pm incursions have been reduced in their potency, and the general trend is for more mild weather as we progress into december. now that looks pretty dominant to me ! so the 00z looks average - above average.these arent cherry picked charts, i went through the gfs 00z and chose a chart to emphisise the ever changing outlook we have each mild/cold spell. there appears to be a tendancy here to play down milder options because its not what most appear top want. but denying their existance wont change the fact that there are milder options.

That's alright 1962 winter was rather mild wet and windy then Boxing Day it started to change and then rest of the winter 63 was written in the history books !

But by the charts around the start of winter 62 you would never of thought of any chance of a historic event weather wise.

Fine I'm sure some mild wet and windy weather would be fine more wave activity ect ect either way this winter already is much different to last.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

isnt it?

attachicon.gif1.gif a chilly couple of days, nothing too cold away from scotland

attachicon.gif2.gif followed by three days of wet windy and mild

attachicon.gif3.gif three days of 'average' cold before

attachicon.gif4.gif mild mobile wet and windy weather returns throughout fi...

if the gfs 00z is anything to go by, then the cold pm incursions have been reduced in their potency, and the general trend is for more mild weather as we progress into december. now that looks pretty dominant to me ! so the 00z looks average - above average.

these arent cherry picked charts, i went through the gfs 00z and chose a chart to emphisise the ever changing outlook we have each mild/cold spell. there appears to be a tendancy here to play down milder options because its not what most appear top want. but denying their existance wont change the fact that there are milder options.

There has always been a bias towards colder options on this tread, I think most have a balanced opinion and a few do not except reality!

• Like 3

Posted

i'm constantly reading the word "mild" when referring to the output.

apparently, the last 2 weeks should have been "mild" especially for me in the balmy south. however, its alternated between light rain and cold and frosty and cold. -3c here last night, for example. the other night, the ice was over 1 inch thick in my wheelbarrow. on several days frost has lasted all day in the shade.

it might not be siberia but

its NOT mild!!!!

agree totally bobby although the azores ridge is expected to make more inroads over the next 10 day period which should lift the overall perception of 'mild', however, as the spread chart i showed indicates, there may well be a continuation of warm sector/ cool period though perhaps more evenly spread than recently where the warm sectors were brief.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Good morning.

GFS like a Dog with a scent. It knows there is a bone buried somewhere but it is going to have to dig a few holes before it finds it. (we hope)

Still no cold being modeled at the moment though.

GFS (p) a bit of a dogs dinner. (Maintaining the theme)

So still plenty of uncertainty on what Christmas day will bring or if we will get a more blocked pattern as we get into the last week of December.

If the models do latch onto blocking and experiment with it then we could suddenly be looking at exciting charts for coldies soon but of course there is also no guarantee this signal will come to anything.

It looks like a trop led NH mid-latitude cold shot is (possibly) on it's way and it appears to revolve around where the polar heights sink south after D12 and what happens to the US ridge in week 1. For example on the GFS P the polar heights move to Alaska and the Pacific ridge allows a HLB:

post-14819-0-38067700-1418544976_thumb.p  So by D16: post-14819-0-00904900-1418545007_thumb.p

The US ridge in week 1 pushes east: post-14819-0-87580200-1418547633_thumb.p and eventually end up in Scandi at D16.

The pattern is too far east for the UK to benefit from the upper cold flow. The core cold will then be diverted into the US (again): post-14819-0-89640400-1418545094_thumb.p

The resultant wave moves the UK into a warm sector. The GFS op sends the polar heights to Greenland along with the US heights:

post-14819-0-32286800-1418545208_thumb.p and by D16: post-14819-0-17890800-1418545236_thumb.p

The Control sinks the US heights into the Azores and we remain flat upstream.

It is difficult to know if this will have any legs or will be a repeating theme or even if the polar heights will meet with a ridge to allow amplification. A good trend is that at D16 there is a downgrade in the number of members showing a more organised PV compared to recent runs, so even if we don't get the amplification, the polar heights keep the lower heights disjointed. I would say the trend continues for a transient meridional flow in the last few days of December due to the combined movement of the US ridge and polar heights, but no clear sign yet of the UK under very cold uppers, but a cooler theme looks likely.

No real change up to about D12 with alternating PM and TM shots. The last few runs suggest a TM flow in the two days before Christmas Day and a PM flow on the big Day. The ECM 12z on Christmas Eve:

post-14819-0-00774000-1418545949_thumb.g  GEM: post-14819-0-79939700-1418546067_thumb.p

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and HEAVY snow

Rjbw. Thank you for reply. Made it very easy for me to understand. Sorry. On phone and not sure yet how to add direct reply. :)

• Like 1

Posted

agree totally bobby although the azores ridge is expected to make more inroads over the next 10 day period which should lift the overall perception of 'mild', however, as the spread chart i showed indicates, there may well be a continuation of warm sector/ cool period though perhaps more evenly spread than recently where the warm sectors were brief.

yes BA, 12c for the southern half on the GFS.

however, it seems that by the time we get to 00hrs any promised "mild" is a brief blip or doesnt happen at all

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

I'll sleep easy tonight then BW. :) Having said that I'm not sure there is any indication on that anomaly chart of any cold from the north. Agreed there may be northerlies for a time but that could easily revert to run of the mill NW then W.

Nice one Knocker! :wink: I didn't mean to sound quite so condescending - apologies. I'm glad you are posting again - just look at the healthy debate you have generated in the last 12 hours alone! As long as people respond with a reasoned counter argument if they disagree, and keep personal digs out of it, then that's what a vibrant forum is all about!

Well following your "interesting" anomaly chart from last night, I have to say this morning's ECM-GFS 8 to 10 Day Mean Height Anomaly chart for the 3 days up to Christmas Eve leaves me very under-whelmed! Looks like a bog standard westerly flow off the Atlantic.

post-20040-0-78519200-1418549181_thumb.g

• Like 4

Posted

the extended ecm ens broadly agree with the gefs though i expect the gem mean to skew the naefs towards a less impressive euro low anomoly come the back end of the run.

early days but the signs for a snow event between xmas and new year are increasing each run.

Would more or less agree with that. The ecm perhaps a tad more emphasis on the Greenland ridge but at T360 that's a mere detail. So looking at a general area of low pressure over NW Europe with a weakening jet. On the other hand, fear not,  all is not lost.

Chart courtesy weatherbell

post-12275-0-42561600-1418549486_thumb.p

Posted

Nice one Knocker! :wink: I didn't mean to sound quite so condescending - apologies. I'm glad you are posting again - just look at the healthy debate you have generated in the last 12 hours alone! As long as people respond with a reasoned counter argument if they disagree, and keep personal digs out of it, then that's what a vibrant forum is all about!

Well following your "interesting" anomaly chart from last night, I have to say this morning's ECM-GFS 8 to 10 Day Mean Height Anomaly chart for the 3 days up to Christmas Eve leaves me very under-whelmed! Looks like a bog standard westerly flow off the Atlantic.

attachicon.gifECM GFS 500 Height 8-10 Day Anom 24Dec14.gif

No probs BW. I agree with the above but it's in the extended period that's of interest I feel. Which way will the evolution jump?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

i'm constantly reading the word "mild" when referring to the output.

apparently, the last 2 weeks should have been "mild" especially for me in the balmy south. however, its alternated between light rain and cold and frosty and cold. -3c here last night, for example. the other night, the ice was over 1 inch thick in my wheelbarrow. on several days frost has lasted all day in the shade.

it might not be siberia but

its NOT mild!!!!

sorry old chap but that is simply not true! ive not seen ONE post here that suggested that the last two weeks were going to be mild, NO ONE has said its been mild .. please point me to these if im wrong .

there have been mild incursions, but the last two weeks after the very mild last weekend of november where 15c was reached, it has been mainly cold/below average.

but the facts are that there is alot of milder weather expected in the next two weeks, as we lose most of the colder pm air going off current gfs and ecm outputs.

• Like 2

Posted

Would more or less agree with that. The ecm perhaps a tad more emphasis on the Greenland ridge but at T360 that's a mere detail. So looking at a general area of low pressure over NW Europe with a weakening jet. On the other hand, fear not,  all is not lost.

Chart courtesy weatherbell

The gem mean too Far East with the ridge wrt to gefs and ECM.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

yes BA, 12c for the southern half on the GFS.

however, it seems that by the time we get to 00hrs any promised "mild" is a brief blip or doesnt happen at all

Double figure maxima predicted for this Wednesday and Thursday (even a 14C for Thursday from the BBC and Metoffice, that is flirting with very mild rather than mild). At the timeframe in hand, I don't think we will see this disappear.

We are having a very normal December overall (it feels strange as a normal winter month has been rarer than a total zonal-fest or severely cold month). A few cold days with snow coming down to low levels, a few very mild days and everything in between with no airmass getting the upper hand. 

Back to the models. The Eastern half of the US looks nailed to go into the freezer around Christmas, at this moment the resultant downstream pattern looks uncertain to me. A lot could come down to another cut off low sitting off the coast of Newfoundland and how this interacts with changing upstream pattern. This will determine the location and orientation of the resulting US trough.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

It looks like a mixed week coming up with a chilly start and end but mild mid week

ukmaxtemp.pngukmaxtemp.png

By Wednesday away from Scotland temperatures are widely in double figures with parts of the south maybe hitting 13 or 14c

ukmaxtemp.png

A mild night follows

ukmaxtemp.png

Into Thursday and cooler air starts to push south into Northern England the south hangs onto another mild day

ukmaxtemp.png

By Friday it turns chillier for all

ukmaxtemp.png

So a mixed week with some rain and strong winds at times with some snow for higher parts of Scotland and northern England

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

i think you missed my point mushy, i'm talking about people using the word "mild" to describe anything less than sub-zero. the output as a whole, would at any point over the last 2 weeks, have put us in this "milder" air.

anyway, we digress...

ok :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

gfs-1-336.png?6

gfs-1-348.png?6

6z GFS post 240h teasing a possible northerly, but it still hasn't figured out what to do with it yet, still positive signs though, but needs more model support.

• Like 1

Posted

So yet another run that hints at a pattern change towards the end of the year with the interest starting from around the 28th Dec onwards.

As some of you know I like to look at the Iceland SLP ensembles when blocking to our N is hinted at. However keep an eye on the Madrid SLP mean also.

http://max.nwstatic.co.uk/ensimages/ens.20141214/00/prmslMadrid.png

Should blocking develop then you would expect low pressure systems to take a more S,ly route and the SLP mean will drop. A few 0Z GEFS members hint at this.

Finally as many know my forecasting is based on instinct. Until today I haven't seen anything of interest but my word my mind has now changed towards a mega cold spell arriving at the end of the year.

Bit early to go for 'mega' Dave! of course a ens mean won't pick up on low uppers yet but the ECM control looked pretty frigid on the 00z run

• Like 2