Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Dancer, some of us will run with a low res blob. #ramp

Indeed  :laugh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

Blob? Pmsl...

It`s there... I`ve seen it, regardless of resoluton! Straw clutching at its finest!! 

But both nw radar and raintoday both miss the majority of the North Sea, which is why I like to use other data.

Plus the winds are supposed to turn more northerly later?

*big edit* just checked sat 24.... no blobs!!! I`ll get me coat.....

Edited by echobase
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Blob? Pmsl...

It`s there... I`ve seen it, regardless of resoluton! Straw clutching at its finest!! 

But both nw radar and raintoday both miss the majority of the North Sea, which is why I like to use other data.

Plus the winds are supposed to turn more northerly later?

*big edit* just checked sat 24.... no blobs!!! I`ll get me coat.....

Just blob off Marky boy :p

Haha, don't worry dude i've been there. Hoping that showers hundreds of miles away will reach your location :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

Just blob off Marky boy :p

Haha, don't worry dude i've been there. Hoping that showers hundreds of miles away will reach your location :D

I`m gone....

To be honest, I have to re-build my trucks engine tomorrow after it blew its headgasket, so don`t really fancy snow in a front wheel drive overpowered Focus!

Posted

I really don't see where any snow is going to come from tonight. Nothing has come in on the Lincolnshire coast for a while now. Seems just too quiet. You really need to see developments soon to stand any chance.

We weren't going to get anything in the West Midlands anyway but sorry East Mids peeps...looks like you're going to have to join us for a quiet night this time.

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I really don't see where any snow is going to come from tonight. Nothing has come in on the Lincolnshire coast for a while now. Seems just too quiet. You really need to see developments soon to stand any chance.

We weren't going to get anything in the West Midlands anyway but sorry East Mids peeps...looks like you're going to have to join us for a quiet night this time.

No, east midlands in for a snowfest, (thaw through tomorrow though) nothing on radar yet, but night is long, bbc showed rain showers nearly everywhere daytime, I think on here February is over rated, snow will thaw in Feb fairly fast, Dec and early Jan, if we had this setup, no thaws, trouble is, this setup as rare as hens teeth in Dec to mid Jan

that's why Feb is classed as the coldest month, more high pressure, less mild/Atlantic

Posted

No, east midlands in for a snowfest, (thaw through tomorrow though) nothing on radar yet, but night is long, bbc showed rain showers nearly everywhere daytime, I think on here February is over rated, snow will thaw in Feb fairly fast, Dec and early Jan, if we had this setup, no thaws, trouble is, this setup as rare as hens teeth in Dec to mid Jan

that's why Feb is classed as the coldest month, more high pressure, less mild/Atlantic

February 1991, 2009 and 2012 were well overated weren't they? (Well you could argue 2012...it really was only one very snowy day that month)

And before you say how rare those events are. That's 3 snowy (2012 is pushing it a bit to say snowy to be fair) Febs within 20 years. Just as high a hit rate as any January, probably higher than any December.

Edited by Gord
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

I`m gone....

To be honest, I have to re-build my trucks engine tomorrow after it blew its headgasket, so don`t really fancy snow in a front wheel drive overpowered Focus!

Nooo, stay! :D

Yeah there are certain occasions where even though you love snow, you don't need it for a certain day!

Last night was the first time in my lifetime that i'd actually become worried about the snow falling. Didn't think i'd get up to Leicester for the funeral today as there was an inch or 2 in Milton Keynes while I was there. And I was having to rely on coaches. Which I bet aren't the easiest to move around in heavy snow!

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted

February 1991, 2009 and 2012 were well overated weren't they? (Well you could argue 2012...it really was only one very snowy day that month)

And before you say how rare those events are. That's 3 snowy (2012 is pushing it a bit to say snowy to be fair) Febs within 20 years. Just as high a hit rate as any January, probably higher than any December.

Feb is a snowier month yeah, but thaws would be more common with cold air in place than Dec and early Jan

Posted

Showers that build between middlesborough and darlington getting stronger as they head wsw..... Had light flakes here for twenty minutes..... Will nmm be correct tonight?

• Like 2

Posted

Feb is a snowier month yeah, but thaws would be more common with cold air in place than Dec and early Jan

But you could argue that the intensity of the cold would be greater in February, thanks to more chance of an easterly from a continent that has had ample time to cool down. Therefore the snow stays around just as long. 1991 and 2009 were great for this, and we were SO close in 2012.

However, the weather doesn't fit into neat little boxes like that though. We've seen snow last on the ground in late March and April before yet thaw rapidly in early January. You have to take each event at face value when it comes regardless of the month. I agree that the time of the year is one factor...but it is one of many.

Edited by Gord
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Today is the sixth consecutive day that I have seen snow fall here.We still have lying snow from last Thursday so it just shows how cold it had been.Those showers just north of Sheffield could be heading our way too.

• Like 1

Posted

But you could argue that the intensity of the cold would be greater in February, thanks to more chance of an easterly from a continent that has had ample time to cool down. Therefore the snow stays around just as long. 1991 and 2009 were great for this, and we were SO close in 2012.

However, the weather doesn't fit into neat little boxes like that though. We've seen snow last on the ground in late March and April before yet thaw rapidly in early January. You have to take each event at face value when it comes regardless of the month. I agree that the time of the year is one factor...but it is one of many.

agree more chance of the Atlantic powering through early Jan for a thaw, but if high pressure settled over us no thaw at all, ice days, where as Feb tends to reach 3-4C max

Posted

You missed feb 1996 battleground snow.

Feb 2010 too edit.

Then last decade feb 2005 second half and also 2006 gave the best easterly in feb here for a decade.

There was snow in late feb 2004 too can`t quite remember that one.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2004/Rrea00120040227.gif

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Such a beautiful country we live in but bloomin 'eck, how many natural obstacles for snow showers does it have?

We seem to have three clear runs it seems for showers and storms. One down the M6 from Cheshire, one along the A14 from the east and (for summer storms in particular over the past 2 summers) one up the M5 from Bristol.

And all three of those roads are a pain in the backside to get down anyway!

Edited by Gord
  • Like 1

Posted

I can't really see anymore snowfall for here really. Thursday might bring something decent for the Thames Estuary, Essex and Kent. The Met Office warnings completely contradict their forecasts for the same areas. Seems a bizarre logic. Or a wild hedging of bets.

Posted

Here is my forecast for the next few days. It may stay dry but there could be showers of rain, sleet or snow (snow only on high ground of course, which there is loads of round here). Local accumulations of snow, somewhere anywhere inland a bit in a huge area, or not. Standard daytime maximum of 4C, or 6 or 7 by the BBC national forecast on a morning. We deserve more than this. My favourite old school BBC weather symbol was the one that had a black cloud with sun and a rain and snow symbol. You could use that most of the year and claim success. Oh wait that's what the Met Office symbols show for here on Thursday!

• Like 1

Posted

I can't really see anymore snowfall for here really. Thursday might bring something decent for the Thames Estuary, Essex and Kent. The Met Office warnings completely contradict their forecasts for the same areas. Seems a bizarre logic. Or a wild hedging of bets.

Well, you can understand why, especially after last night's snow.

I'm wondering where the precipitation is going to come from too, there's not much anywhere in England?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Showers that build between middlesborough and darlington getting stronger as they head wsw..... Had light flakes here for twenty minutes..... Will nmm be correct tonight?

Hope they come this way aswell.... had a narrow miss here last night but was good to see others get in on the action...we had a few light showers here this morning then a real heavy one covered everything in just a few mins.... a few of them tonight and it may be more fun for the Big Snow kids in the morning...

• Like 1

Posted

Such a beautiful country we live in but bloomin 'eck, how many natural obstacles for snow showers does it have?

We seem to have three clear runs it seems for showers and storms. One down the M6 from Cheshire, one along the A14 from the east and (for summer storms in particular over the past 2 summers) one up the M5 from Bristol.

And all three of those roads are a pain in the backside to get down anyway!

Maybe that's why we don't get much interesting weather, none of those roads get near here. Just the tedious slow A49. No wonder the weather prefers to take the motorway- and thunderstorms really do, they go north up to Bristol or Gloucester then turn northeast to Birmingham all the time.

Posted

Leicester Mercury weather man Dave Mutton said: â€œThere will be snow showers throughout the day today, it will probably thaw in the afternoon and there will be heavy showers overnight.

“I think the roads have been well gritted but the pavements are treacherous.

“It looks as if we have quite a few snow showers to come, accumulating to between two and four inches (five and 10cms) over the next few days.

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Snow-forecast-stay-rest-week/story-25965242-detail/story.html

erm, any truth in the above?

Edited by Am7

Posted

Well, you can understand why, especially after last night's snow.

I'm wondering where the precipitation is going to come from too, there's not much anywhere in England?

Bring back Ceefax and pages 400-410. They had a now cast page which to be honest is better than anything on the Met Office currently offer. We know full well when the BBC forecasters are presenting stuff 12 hours out of date. As I mentioned yesterday their last forecast update was at 2.49pm and anybody now casting would have told you it was wrong by 6pm - but they never updated it for the rest of the day.

And the reason the Ceefax now cast was better was because somebody human had to put it together! Even if it was what was outside the window!

Edited by mackerel sky
  • Like 1