Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England & East Anglia - Weather Chat >> 1st Feb Onwards

Paul Sherman

Posted

Lat year around September I think i went to the lake to fish with my girlfriend and I was watching this huge thunderstorm go up right in front of me and the Base began to spin up and it tried and tired to spawn a funnel and finally did as it moved west Then caught twins :)

Nice! Was quite a good year for funnels last year, seemed to be a lot of reports of them from all over the place. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and HEAVY snow

Afternoon everyone! If anyone's interested I have a rather unorthodox, totally unscientific way of predicting a very cold spell. Ive just arranged my moving house date and as im doing all the donkey work myself I reckon its odds on to be a freezing blizzard type weekend with a foot of snow on....7th march!!! :)

Hmmmm.....watching developments over on the mod thread. ....getting a bit worried ......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Hmmmm.....watching developments over on the mod thread. ....getting a bit worried ......

The GEM and GFS have certainly trended back towards a UK high idea. I just can't see a proper cold and snowy spell developing. At this time of year the set up needs to be perfect for it to come off. March 2013 was certainly an exception rather than the rule.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and HEAVY snow

The GEM and GFS have certainly trended back towards a UK high idea. I just can't see a proper cold and snowy spell developing. At this time of year the set up needs to be perfect for it to come off. March 2013 was certainly an exception rather than the rule.

Spend my entire winters with my eyes glued to mod thread searching for just one flake. Sleep eludes me until the fat lady finally sings. Sure I heard her loud and clear 2 weeks ago when talk of early spring sent the cold rampers into hibernation. And now? Just this once I really hope we get a beautiful early sunny spring!will be following you and knocker to the extent of stalking!!!:) :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Yuk misty foggy drizzly weather all rolled into one, the only weather I hate. I don't mind dry mists and fogs, they have their own sort of beauty, can't stand this wet stuff. Temp 8.1.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Personally, I'd love a repeat of March 2013.

Although only 10 miles from the south coast there was nothing at all marginal about it and we only just missed a serious pummelling as the channel islands ending up getting most of it!.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Sunny and hot here....... on my desktop screen  :rofl:

It's wet and mild in reality. 

I think my stance on the easterly potential is summed up on the MOD thread. Personally we should be looking to the north westerly next week and see if we can get some beefy wintry showers developing with the even increasing strength of the sun. I do think we could see some falling snow in places, just not really the settling variety. Beyond this, I suspect March could turn out to be dry and pretty blocked, just the position of said block is in question but I suspect it will be close to the UK.

Posted

Sunny and hot here....... on my desktop screen :rofl:

It's wet and mild in reality.

I think my stance on the easterly potential is summed up on the MOD thread. Personally we should be looking to the north westerly next week and see if we can get some beefy wintry showers developing with the even increasing strength of the sun. I do think we could see some falling snow in places, just not really the settling variety. Beyond this, I suspect March could turn out to be dry and pretty blocked, just the position of said block is in question but I suspect it will be close to the UK.

I agree with all of this I can envisage come early next week the Radar to really explode into life. It does remind me a bit of 2005. I am surprised certain members are saying it looks mundane. :)

Control run remains cold all the way out really taking a dive come 2nd week of March! :cold:

post-19153-0-97569700-1424954773_thumb.j

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.

Extra bonus rain here - sudenly very black to the NW!

Posted

Does anyone have any views on the coming eclipse on 20th March and the weather? Is there a connection?

Hi Jenny, well it would be ideal if it was settled with clear skies, indications at the moment are going for a settled March, which is a bonus however whether there will be clean fresh skies is anyones guess. I believe the most clearest air mass is from Arctic maritime or Polar maritime. Screaming N'ly would be good.

It will begin in the UK at 8.45am. The maximum eclipse, when the moon is nearest the middle of the sun, will be at 9.31am. The event will end at 10.41am.

The last major solar eclipse happened in August 1999. That was the first total eclipse since 1990 and the first seen in the UK since 1927.

Nearly 90 per cent of the sun's rays will be blocked out in parts of Europe on March 20.

In London and the South East, 85 per cent of the sun will be obscured by the moon whilst in northern Scotland, more than 95 per cent will be covered.

Posted

It has dried up here and the low cloud has gone. Still cloudy though and I doubt there will be any sunshine during the rest of today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Same here now, more or less dried up, still cloudy but higher with full visibility. Temp dropping now, down to 6.3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Mild and wet has turned to cool and dry here too, glad I have no reason to venture even outside the door this eveing, going to stay inside where it is snug and warm.

Posted

Does anyone have any views on the coming eclipse on 20th March and the weather? Is there a connection?

Nope JJ

Posted

Hi Jenny, well it would be ideal if it was settled with clear skies, indications at the moment are going for a settled March, which is a bonus however whether there will be clean fresh skies is anyones guess. I believe the most clearest air mass is from Arctic maritime or Polar maritime.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks, I remember the last eclipse very well

Nope JJ

ok, i wondered if it was like the moon which sometimes affects things, i know they say its colder when the moon is full.

Posted

ok, i wondered if it was like the moon which sometimes affects things, i know they say its colder when the moon is full.

I suspect that's an old wives' tale Jenny.

Posted

Home from work. Increasingly confidence of one last hoorah from winter before pressure builds in from the west.

Tuesday and Wednesday look good with fairly low heights and cold 850s from a north westerly flow.

ECM1-120.GIF?26-0

ECM0-120.GIF?26-0

ECM1-144.GIF?26-0

ECM0-144.GIF?26-0

The ECM keeps the pattern cold throughout but mainly dry under high pressure, the GEM and GFS build high pressure closer to the UK or even just south and hence conditions turn less cold by the end of next week.